|This article is about the objects called chests. For the floor, see The Chest.|
Brown Chests[edit | edit source]
Regular Brown Chests have no requirements to open and can only contain 1-3 pickups excluding coins. Chest contents can include hearts, coins, keys, or bombs. Alternatively, it may contain a trinket, a card, a pill, or another (smaller) Brown/Golden Chest, which can contain either a Trinket or an Item, respectively.
Golden Chests[edit | edit source]
Golden Chests require a key to open and may contain 2-5 pickups that can include hearts, coins, keys, other chests, or bombs. Alternatively, it may contain a trinket, a card, a pill, an item, or another Brown/Golden Chest. It can contain more than 5 coin pickups. If the player has the Paper Clip trinket, Golden Chests require no key to open.
See the following item pools for a list of items Golden Chests can contain:
- Golden Chest (Item Pool)
- Golden Chest (Afterbirth Item Pool) and Golden Chest (Greed Mode Item Pool)
- Golden Chest (Afterbirth+ Item Pool) and Golden Chest (Afterbirth+ Greed Mode Item Pool)
Red Chests[edit | edit source]
Red Chests are most commonly found in Curse Rooms, but can also be found in Devil Rooms. Holding the Left Hand trinket will turn all chests into Red Chests. They can contain the following:
- 2 Troll Bombs
- 1 Mega Troll Bomb
- 2 Spiders
- 1-2 Soul Hearts
- A Red Chest pool Item
- 1-2 Pills
- Teleport to the Devil Room or Angel Room
- 1-3 Blue Flies
- 1-3 Blue Spiders
Stone Chests[edit | edit source]
Stone Chests are grey chests that can only be opened by explosions close to it. Stone Chests are most commonly found in Challenge Rooms, Curse Rooms, Vaults, and Devil Rooms. The loot they contain is similar to Golden Chests.
Angel Chests[edit | edit source]
Angel Chests are similar in appearance to Gold Chests, except they glow bright blue instead of gold, like a soul heart. They require one key to unlock, but can be reopened a random amount of times, each time requiring another key. They can be found in Angel rooms and rarely in a normal room. Their loot is similar to Golden Chests, but they can also drop nothing upon opening. If they contain nothing or an item, they will no longer be able to be reopened.
Spike Chests[edit | edit source]
Spike Chests are purple colored chests with spikes protruding from them that will deal damage to Isaac upon opening (unless he has the Holy Mantle active, which nullifies the damage, or if found in The Chest, where they are free to open). They can be rarely found upon completing a room or in greed mode shops. Their loot is similar to Brown Chests. Unlike other chests, they do not appear on the minimap.
Mimics[edit | edit source]
Mimics appear similar to Brown Chests until Isaac moves near, at which point they sprout spikes that damage the player as a Spike Chest would. They can be distinguished from Brown Chests by their darker, purplish-brown coloring and the grayish spot on each side of the latch where the spikes will sprout from.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Consider opening adjacent Red Chests before Stone Chests; Red Chests often contain Troll Bombs, which can blast Stone Chests open.
- Stone Chests can also be pushed to any position in the room, which can be used to save bombs by hitting multiple targets with one blast.
- Opening any chest (except for red chests) while in the level The Chest will have a 100% chance to spawn an Item.
- In a similar fashion, any non-red chest in The Dark Room will always contain an item as well.
- Chests of all types are considered pickups, and will be doubled by the Rune of Jera.
- Empty opened chests may be rerolled into other pickups by using items such as the D20, but this must be done immediately, as opened chests will disappear upon leaving the room.
- A Dice Room set to 2, 3, or 6 will also reroll empty chests in the room.
- Whenever a chest contains another chest, the smaller chest may also contain another chest.
- If these smaller chests contain an item, they will be tiny items.
- All of the icons for the items in the Gold Chest pool are heads or, as is the case for Bob's Brain and Infamy, head-related.
- For unknown reason, chests can rarely transform into other types of chests upon re-entering a room.
|Achievements||Attributes||Bosses||Cards and Runes||Challenges||Chapters|