The Angels are secret unlockable mini-bosses, accessible after defeating The Lamb in the Dark Room or ??? (Boss) in The Chest. There are two angel variants; they are listed below.
- A random angel will appear when bombing an angel statue in an Angel Room.
- It is possible to use Thunder Thighs or Leo to spawn an angel, which will save the player from using a bomb, but this will almost certainly cause the player to take contact damage from the Angel as it spawns.
- Dark "fallen" versions of both angels will show up during the battle against Mega Satan.
- Fallen Uriel has 450 health instead of 400.
- Fallen Gabriel has 750 health instead of 660.
- Uriel will appear after the 9th sacrifice and Gabriel will appear after the 11th sacrifice in a Sacrifice room.
- A random angel has a chance of appearing in Boss Rush, though it will not drop a Key Piece on death.
- Angel Statues can sometimes appear in super secret rooms which can be blown up for a fight and will drop a Key Piece on death.
wears a light blue scarf. He will always drop Key Piece 1
- Moves towards Isaac.
- Stops movement, folds his wings, then fires 5 spread blood tears in Isaac's direction.
- Stops movement, hands begin to glow, then either shoots a single beam of light straight downward, or 2 beams in diagonal directions.
wears a bright red scarf. He will always drop Key Piece 2
- Moves towards Isaac.
- Stops movement, folds his wings, then either shoots a ring of 12 blood tears, shoots light beams in the diagonal directions, or summons an Angelic Baby.
- Stops movement, hands begin to glow, then shoots light beams in the cardinal directions.
- The angels will always alternate in order of appearance. Thus, if you have already defeated Uriel, the next angel spawn is guaranteed to be Gabriel, and vice versa.
- If the player defeats an angel and they already have both key pieces, no key piece will drop. However, if this occurs, it counts as a normal room clear, and the player may be rewarded with a pickup or chest.
- Angels will only drop a key piece the first time they are defeated, even if Isaac does not pick up the key piece.
- Rerolling Key Piece 1 or Key Piece 2 will yield an item from a pool, depending on which room the key pieces are in.
- Rerolling the key pieces in an Angel Room will yield an item from the Angel Room item pool.
- The hitbox for the angel's beams of light are off and causes Isaac to take damage if he is anywhere near them, even if he does not touch the beam.
- Angels will drop Items from the Angel Item Pool instead of the key pieces if Isaac is holding Filigree Feather.
- Sometimes, two angel statues can appear in the same room. Destroying both at the same time will spawn both Uriel and Gabriel, but only one key piece will drop. If each angel is spawned and defeated separately, both will drop key pieces.
- Uriel and Gabriel are immune to the Fear effect.
- Uriel (or Auriel/Oriel) is one of the archangels of post-Exilic Rabbinic tradition, and also of certain Christian traditions. The name means "God is my light" - in Hebrew, ori (or uri) means "my light" and el means "god".
- Gabriel is an archangel who typically serves as a messenger sent from God to certain people in Abrahamic religions. The name means "God is my strength".
- Uriel and Gabriel, along with the angel statues, have no face. This is in reference to Exodus 33:20 in the Bible.
- "But," He said, "you cannot see my face, for man shall not see me and live."
- Uriel and Gabriel may possibly be based on Seraphim and Cherubim angels. Seraphims are angels that fly above god’s throne while Cherubim guard the throne.