Apollyon is a character added in The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth †.
Apollyon starts with two Red Heart containers and Void, a 6-charge item that destroys items and grants bonuses in return and combines all voided active items into one.
Apollyon is unlocked by defeating Mega Satan for the first time.
- Knowing most item effects is very important for Apollyon, as you want to know whether or not to absorb something.
- The Battery and Charged Baby allow Void to be used twice consecutively without going into other rooms. This is helpful if you want to use Void to fight the boss and then absorb the item after defeating it after all rooms have been cleared, or when a Devil/Angel Room spawns after defeating the boss and you do not have Goat Head or Eucharist.
- There's Options and More Options are amazing items for Apollyon, as they give the opportunity to absorb twice as many items that could increase his stats or add to his actives collection.
- Apollyon is the Greek name for the angel Abaddon, and is also known as "The Destroyer". This is reflected in the Achievement pop-up, which states "You Unlocked The Destroyer".
- This is referenced further in the Void item he starts with, in that he is both the angel of the abyss and that the main function of the Void is to destroy items to gain beneficial effects.
- In the New Testament Book of Revelations, Abaddon is written as the king of an army of locusts, hence the locust trinkets he unlocks.
- Apollyon has a slight visual similarity to the invulnerable form of Gnawed Leaf. This has led some people to theorize that Apollyon is a statue or gargoyle.
- This is further highlighted by his appearance on the loading screen, with his eyes and mouth appearing to be simple holes in his head.
- In the original Afterbirth+ release (before Booster Pack #5), Apollyon was unlocked by default (except in the Switch version).
- Even though Apollyon appears to have wings, he does not start with flight.