Apollyon is a character added in Afterbirth †.
Apollyon starts with two heart containers and VoidConsumes all pedestal items in the room. Active items will have their effects added to Void, and passive items will grant stat upgrades., a 6-charge item which destroys items and grants bonuses in return, and combines all voided active items into one.
Apollyon is unlocked by defeating Mega Satan for the first time.
- Knowing most item effects is very important for Apollyon, as you want to know whether or not to absorb something.
- Apollyon is the Greek name for the angel Abaddon, and is also known as "The Destroyer".
- The achievement for unlocking Apollyon states "You Unlocked The Destroyer".
- Apollyon has a slight visual similarity to the invulnerable form of Gnawed LeafAfter standing still and not shooting for a short time, Isaac turns invincible until he moves or shoots.. This has lead some people to theorize that Apollyon is a statue or gargoyle.
- This is further highlighted by his appearance on the loading screen, with his eyes and mouth appearing to be simple holes in his head.
- In the original Afterbirth+ release (prior to Booster Pack #5), Apollyon was unlocked by default (except in the Switch version).
- Apollyon starting with VoidConsumes all pedestal items in the room. Active items will have their effects added to Void, and passive items will grant stat upgrades. is a reference to the fact that he is the angel of the bottomless pit or the abyss.
- In the New Testament Book of Revelation, an angel called Abaddon is written as the king of an army of locusts, hence the locust trinkets he unlocks.
- Despite the fact that Apollyon appears to have wings, he does not start with flight.