From Binding of Isaac: Rebirth Wiki
|Tears are replaced by a laser beam that pierces through all enemies and obstacles in its path and deals high damage. Can only be fired after a short charge-up period.|
Item and Strategy Notes[edit | edit source]
- Azazel suffers from the shortest range of all characters; this is balanced with flight, additional power per hit via his Brimstone-like attack, and significant damage to all enemies in the room upon the loss of a Black Heart, killing most lesser enemies.
- Due to his inherent flight, Azazel takes damage only when leaving a curse room, not when entering, effectively letting him use these rooms at half-price. Additionally, he can use the Fool card he starts with to avoid the cost for one room entirely.
- It is possible to slightly increase attack range by taking range-increasing items.
- Despite his lack of Heart Containers, unlike ???, Azazel can gain Heart Containers. Thus, health-increasing items are useful.
- With enough range, acquiring homing tears will make Azazel's Brimstone home in on enemies.
Good Items[edit | edit source]
- Doubles lasers without increasing tear delay.
Grants double shot.
- The Inner Eye
/ Mutant Spider
Grants triple shot but decreases tears.
- Shoots multiple mini Brimstone lasers with increased tear delay.
Grants quadruple shot but decreases tears.
- Aside from the lack of angel rooms, it provides no downside, given Azazel still has no Heart Containers. As it costs 3 soul hearts, it will add 3 black hearts to his health bar, increase damage and speed, and give his Brimstone laser a fear effect.
Increases damage and speed, removes all red heart containers, grants six black hearts, and adds a chance to shoot fear tears.
- gives Azazel the long-range version.
Tears are replaced by a laser beam that pierces through all enemies and obstacles in its path and deals high damage. Can only be fired after a short charge-up period.
- Circle of Protection
- the circle is nearly the same size as Azazel's laser, adding extra damage.
Surrounds Isaac with a large white halo around him that pulsates. With each pulse, the halo deals contact damage to enemies equal to Isaac's damage. Each pulse also converts any enemy shots touching the ring into friendly purple homing tears.
- Monstro's Lung
- gives several additional Brimstone beams around Azazel.
Increases damage and grants a charged shot that fires multiple tears in the same fashion as Monstro.
- My Reflection
- greatly increases the range of Azazel's brimstone.
Gives Isaac's tears a boomerang effect, and increases range and shot speed.
- Greatly increases the Brimstone laser's range and makes the laser curve as Azazel moves around the room.
- Number One
- slightly decreases Azazel's range but significantly decreases the charge time of Azazel's Brimstone. Also turns Azazel's laser yellow.
+1.5 tears, -15.77 range
- doubles the Brimstone laser's damage without any downsides.
Tears start out massive with high damage, and then shrink down and become weaker over a short range.
- The beam will decrease in damage the further it travels, but Proptosis still greatly increases damage at close range.
- Rubber Cement
- allows Azazel's laser to bounce off of walls. Unlike Azazel's normal mini-Brimstone, beams that bounce off of walls have infinite range, but deals half of damage.
Tears bounce off walls, enemies, and environmental objects.
- The beam will no longer turn into normal Brimstone upon bouncing off a wall. It will instead turn into his mini-Brimstone.
- Sad Bombs
- shoots 10 short-ranged Brimstone beams around the explosion point, which deals enormous amounts of damage.
+5 Bombs. Upon exploding, bombs shoot 8 tears off in every direction, similar to Tammy's Head. The tears are affected by any tear modifiers Isaac has on his own tears.
- Tammy's Head
- shoots 10 short-ranged Brimstone beams around him, which deals enormous amounts of damage.
Shoots 10 tears in a circle around Isaac, which retain the damage, shot speed, and special effects (such as poison) of Isaac's tears.
- Tape Worm
- greatly increases the Brimstone laser's range.
Doubles Isaac's range and halves his tear height.
- Along with a physical change in the brimstone, damage is increased.
Replaces tears with a piercing laser with unlimited range.
- Technology 2
- provides a laser while Brimstone is charging, allowing the player to do damage while the charge occurs. However, this also decreases the damage of Azazel's Brimstone.
Decreases damage and replaces right eye tears with a unlimited range, piercing laser which fires continuously.
- Tech X
- Turns Tech X rings into Brimstone rings, significantly increasing damage output and providing long ranged attacks.
Tears are replaced with laser rings that pierce through enemies and deal damage to enemies within them. Can be charged to increase the size of the ring.
- The Ludovico Technique
- gives a Brimstone ring, whether Azazel has the short or long-ranged version of it, giving him the ability to damage many enemies at a time due to its size and negates Azazel's short range, but halves Azazel's damage.
Instead of firing tears, Isaac controls one floating tear that hover over obstacles. This tear deals constant damage when held in place over an enemy.
- Tiny Planet
- changes the path of Azazel's Brimstone into a circle, giving it an area of effect. The range increase becomes especially powerful if you add a homing tears effect.
Range up and makes shot tears revolve around Isaac until they drop.
Bad Items[edit | edit source]
- Dead Eye
- Has no effect.
Isaac's damage increases each time an enemy is hit. Damage is reset upon missing a shot.
- Adds poison effect to the beam and fires an explosive tear, but since tear delay increases vastly, it is essentially a run-killer.
Replaces tears with explosive and poisoning projectiles fired in an arc from the mouth.
- Soy Milk
- Even though it significantly decreases charge time, it also significantly decreases damage, essentially making it a run-killer.
Tears shrink and do much less damage, but fire in very rapid succession.
- The Wiz
- While useful in some situations, enemies such as the The Thing or Creeps will be dangerous.
Tears simultaneously fire out of both eyes diagonally, similar to the effect of the R U A Wizard? pill. Isaac's tears also travel above all obstacles.
- The following items have their effect reduced or nullified with Azazel's short-ranged Brimstone.
- Items naturally overridden by Brimstone, such as:
- Chocolate Milk
Grants charged tears that deal greater damage when fully charged.
- Cursed Eye
Grants charged tears that can be fired in a tight burst of four. Getting hit while charging will teleport Isaac into another room.
- Blood Clot
Increases damage by 1 and range by 5 for tears fired from the left eye.
- Cricket's Body
Grants -1 Tear Delay and reduces Range. When tears hit an object or deplete their range, they spawn 4 smaller tears, whose Range and Damage scale with Isaac's.
- Mysterious Liquid
( Creep will spawn at the edge of the laser)
Tears leave a small, short lasting pool of creep on impact or when their range is depleted.
- Ouija Board
Grants spectral tears that travel through obstacles (but not enemies) instead of breaking on impact with them.
- Lord of the Pit
(Azazel starts with flight)
Grants flight and increases speed.
- Spirit of the Night
(Azazel starts with flight)
Grants spectral tears and flight.
- Strange Attractor
Pickups, trinkets, and monsters are magnetically attracted to Isaac's tears.
is picked up)
-2 Tear Delay. Tears float in position until firing ceases, after which they will fly off in the direction they were shot in.
- The Parasite
Isaac's tears split in two when they hit something.
- Chocolate Milk
has no effect with Azazel's short Brimstone.
+2.25 Range Up. +1.5 Tear Height. Isaac's tears travel through walls and appear out of the opposite wall. Isaac's tears also travel over rocks and objects.
- Kidney Stone
has no effect. Reduces Azazel's short Brimstone's range, as well as Azazel's speed.
Randomly while firing tears, Isaac will stop firing and turn red, where he will charge and release a lot of 'tears' in one go. In the burst of tears is a kidney stone which deals a lot of damage.
Brimstone's beam cannot be directed, but it does increase Brimstone's charge speed.
Isaac will now fire tears automatically directed at a red target on the ground which is controlled by the player. This allows for a full 360 degree tear firing radius. Can be overridden by other tear modifiers such as Mom's Knife or Brimstone.
- Jacob's Ladder
Jacob's Ladder has no effect; sparks do not fly from Azazel's Brimstone when it connects with enemies.
Tears fire sparks of electricity in random directions upon hitting an obstacle or enemy.
- Items naturally overridden by Brimstone, such as:
- The following items override Azazel's short-ranged Brimstone:
- Dr. Fetus
Tears are replaced by bombs that benefit from bomb-enhancing effects and slide a fixed range after being fired.
- Epic Fetus
Isaac's tears are replaced with guided missiles, like those used by the Doctor's Remote.
- Mom's Knife
Isaac's tears are replaced by a knife that pierces enemies, can travel through obstacles, and can hurt enemies while Isaac is holding it. Holding down the fire button before firing increases its range and power.
- Items that respawn Azazel as a different character, including Ankh
, Lazarus' Rags
Upon death, the player will respawn as ??? with 3 soul hearts.
, and Judas' Shadow
Upon dying, resurrect as Revived Lazarus with one heart container and Anemic item. Adds an extra life; upon death, it respawns Isaac as Black Judas with only two black hearts.
- Dr. Fetus
- Items that break rocks, like Leo
or Thunder Thighs
Allows you to crush rocks when you walk over them.
nullify part of the advantage Azazel gains from flight as he will no longer be able to hover over them to avoid enemy projectiles.
Destroys rocks upon contact with Isaac. Adds one heart container and lowers Speed.
Unlockable Items[edit | edit source]
- Begotten Baby - Defeat Mom's Heart on hard mode as Lazarus
Defeat Mom's Heart on hard mode as Azazel.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In the Bible, Azazel is referred to as a scapegoat that was cast into the wild as atonement. However, in certain traditions of Abrahamic religions, Azazel refers to the fallen angel who taught people to make weapons and jewelry and taught women the "sinful art" of painting their faces, as mentioned in the apocryphal Book of Enoch. Azazel is referenced three times in the Bible; this may be why he spawns with three black hearts.
- His appearance may also be a slight reference to Venger, the villain of the Dungeons & Dragons cartoon. Both are missing their right horn, and with the other D&D references, it would seem to go along with it.
- Azazel starting with 0 - The Fool card could be a reference to Isaac being a fool for believing he looks like Azazel, which would tie in to the characters being figments of Isaacs imagination and Isaac believing he is a sinner.
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
|Achievements||Attributes||Bosses||Cards and Runes||Challenges||Chapters|