Major changes are coming to the Wiki! To learn more and let your voice be heard, please go here.
Additionally, we are currently experiencing some bugs and glitches. We're working on fixing them, but please be aware this means certain images, such as the collection grid for items, will be replaced by errors for the time being.
|0 - The FoolTeleports Isaac back to the starting room of a floor.|
|Make 3 deals with the devil in one runAzazel|
Azazel is a character in The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth unlocked by making three deals with the devil in one run. Azazel starts with a short-ranged version of BrimstoneTears are replaced by a laser beam that pierces through all enemies and obstacles in its path and deals high damage. Can only be fired after a short charge-up period., the ability to fly, the card 0 - The FoolTeleports Isaac back to the starting room of a floor., and three black hearts without any regular heart containers; however, unlike ???, Azazel can still obtain heart containers with items.
Item and Strategy Notes[edit | edit source]
- Azazel suffers from the shortest range of all characters; this is balanced with flight, additional power per hit via his Brimstone-like attack, and significant damage to all enemies in the room upon the loss of a Black Heart, killing most lesser enemies.
- Due to his flight, Azazel takes damage only when leaving a curse room, not when entering, effectively letting him use these rooms at half-price. Additionally, he can use the Fool card he starts with to avoid the cost for one room entirely.
- It is possible to slightly increase attack range by taking range-increasing items.
- Despite his lack of Heart Containers, unlike ???, Azazel can gain Heart Containers. Thus, health-increasing items are useful.
- With enough range, acquiring homing tears will make Azazel's Brimstone home in on enemies.
Good Items[edit | edit source]
- 20/20Grants double shot. doubles lasers without increasing tear delay.
- AbaddonIncreases damage and speed, removes all red heart containers, grants six black hearts, and adds a chance to shoot fear tears. aside from the lack of angel rooms, it provides no downside, given Azazel still has no Heart Containers. As it costs 3 soul hearts, it will add 3 black hearts to his health bar, increase damage and speed, and give his Brimstone laser a fear effect.
- BrimstoneTears are replaced by a laser beam that pierces through all enemies and obstacles in its path and deals high damage. Can only be fired after a short charge-up period. gives Azazel the long-range version.
- Chocolate MilkGrants charged tears that deal greater damage when fully charged. reduces charge time.
- Circle of ProtectionSurrounds Isaac with a large white halo around him that pulsates. With each pulse, the halo deals contact damage to enemies equal to Isaac's damage. Each pulse also converts any enemy shots touching the ring into friendly purple homing tears. The circle is nearly the same size as Azazel's laser, adding extra damage.
- The Inner EyeGrants triple shot but decreases tears./ Mutant SpiderGrants quadruple shot but decreases tears. shoots multiple mini Brimstone lasers with increased tear delay.
- The Ludovico TechniqueInstead of firing tears, Isaac controls one floating tear that hover over obstacles. This tear deals constant damage when held in place over an enemy. gives a Brimstone ring, whether Azazel has the short or long-ranged version of it, giving him the ability to damage many enemies at a time due to its size and negates Azazel's short range, but halves Azazel's damage.
- Monstro's LungIncreases damage and grants a charged shot that fires multiple tears in the same fashion as Monstro. gives several additional Brimstone beams around Azazel.
- My ReflectionGives Isaac's tears a boomerang effect, and increases range and shot speed. greatly increases the range of Azazel's brimstone.
- Greatly increases the Brimstone laser's range and makes the laser curve as Azazel moves around the room.
- Number One+1.5 tears, -17.62 range slightly decreases Azazel's range but significantly decreases the charge time of Azazel's Brimstone. Also turns Azazel's laser yellow.
- ProptosisTears start out massive with high damage, and then shrink down and become weaker over a short range. doubles the Brimstone laser's damage without any downsides.
- The beam will decrease in damage the further it travels, but Proptosis still greatly increases damage at close range.
- Rubber CementTears bounce off walls, enemies, and environmental objects. allows Azazel's laser to bounce off of walls. Unlike Azazel's normal mini-Brimstone, beams that bounce off of walls have infinite range, but deals half of damage.
- The beam will no longer turn into normal Brimstone upon bouncing off a wall. It will instead turn into his mini-Brimstone.
- Sad Bombs+5 Bombs. Upon exploding, bombs shoot 8 tears off in every direction, similar to Tammy's Head. The tears are affected by any tear modifiers Isaac has on his own tears. shoots 10 short-ranged Brimstone beams around the explosion point, which deals enormous amounts of damage.
- Tammy's HeadShoots 10 tears in a circle around Isaac, which retain the damage, shot speed, and special effects (such as poison) of Isaac's tears. shoots 10 short-ranged Brimstone beams around him, which deals enormous amounts of damage.
- Tape WormDoubles Isaac's range and halves his tear height. greatly increases the Brimstone laser's range.
- TechnologyReplaces tears with a piercing laser with unlimited range. along with a physical change in the brimstone, damage is increased.
- Technology 2Decreases damage and replaces right eye tears with a unlimited range, piercing laser which fires continuously. provides a laser while Brimstone is charging, allowing the player to do damage while the charge occurs. However, this also decreases the damage of Azazel's Brimstone.
- Tiny PlanetRange up and makes shot tears revolve around Isaac until they drop. changes the path of Azazel's Brimstone into a circle, giving it an area of effect. The range increase becomes especially powerful if you add a homing tears effect.
Bad Items[edit | edit source]
- Dead EyeIsaac's damage increases each time an enemy is hit. Damage is reset upon missing a shot. has no effect.
- IpecacReplaces tears with explosive and poisoning projectiles fired in an arc from the mouth. adds poison effect to the beam and fires an explosive tear, but since tear delay increases vastly, it is essentially a run-killer.
- Soy MilkTears shrink and do much less damage, but fire in very rapid succession. even though it significantly decreases charge time, it also significantly decreases damage, essentially making it a run-killer.
- The WizTears simultaneously fire out of both eyes diagonally, similar to the effect of the R U A Wizard? pill. Isaac's tears also travel above all obstacles. while useful in some situations, enemies such as the The Thing or Creeps will be dangerous.
- The following items have their effect reduced or nullified with Azazel's short-ranged Brimstone.
- Items naturally overridden by Brimstone, such as:
- Chocolate MilkGrants charged tears that deal greater damage when fully charged.
- Cursed EyeGrants charged tears that can be fired in a tight burst of four. Getting hit while charging will teleport Isaac into another room.
- Blood ClotIncreases damage by 1 and range by 5 for tears fired from the left eye.
- Cricket's BodyGrants -1 Tear Delay and reduces Range. When tears hit an object or deplete their range, they spawn 4 smaller tears, whose Range and Damage scale with Isaac's.
- Mysterious LiquidTears leave a small, short lasting pool of creep on impact or when their range is depleted. ( Creep will spawn at the edge of the laser)
- Ouija BoardGrants spectral tears that travel through obstacles (but not enemies) instead of breaking on impact with them.
- Lord of the PitGrants flight and increases speed. (Azazel starts with flight)
- Spirit of the NightGrants spectral tears and flight. (Azazel starts with flight)
- Strange AttractorPickups, trinkets, and monsters are magnetically attracted to Isaac's tears. (Until Anti-Gravity-2 Tear Delay. Tears float in position until firing ceases, after which they will fly off in the direction they were shot in. is picked up)
- The ParasiteIsaac's tears split in two when they hit something.
- Cupid's ArrowGrants Isaac piercing tears that travel through enemies (but not obstacles) instead of breaking on impact with them.
- Continuum+2.25 Range Up. +1.5 Tear Height. Isaac's tears travel through walls and appear out of the opposite wall. Isaac's tears also travel over rocks and objects. has no effect with Azazel's short Brimstone.
- Kidney StoneRandomly while firing tears, Isaac will stop firing and turn red, where he will charge and release a lot of 'tears' in one go. In the burst of tears is a kidney stone which deals a lot of damage. has no effect. Reduces Azazel's short Brimstone's range, as well as Azazel's speed.
- MarkedIsaac will now fire tears automatically directed at a red target on the ground which is controlled by the player. This allows for a full 360 degree tear firing radius. Can be overridden by other tear modifiers such as Mom's Knife or Brimstone. Brimstone's beam cannot be directed, but it does increase Brimstone's charge speed.
- Jacob's LadderTears fire sparks of electricity in random directions upon hitting an obstacle or enemy. Jacob's Ladder has no effect; sparks do not fly from Azazel's Brimstone when it connects with enemies.
- Items naturally overridden by Brimstone, such as:
- The following items override Azazel's short-ranged Brimstone:
- Dr. FetusTears are replaced by bombs that benefit from bomb-enhancing effects and slide for a fixed time after being fired.
- Epic FetusIsaac's tears are replaced with guided missiles, like those used by the Doctor's Remote.
- HaemolacriaTears are now fired in an arc. Upon hitting the floor, an obstacle, or an enemy, they burst into many smaller tears in all directions. Increases tear delay.
- Mom's KnifeIsaac's tears are replaced by a knife that pierces enemies, can travel through obstacles, and can hurt enemies while Isaac is holding it. Holding down the fire button before firing increases its range and power.
- Items that respawn Azazel as a different character, including AnkhUpon death, the player will respawn as ??? with 3 soul hearts., Lazarus' RagsUpon dying, resurrect as Revived Lazarus with one heart container and Anemic item., and Judas' ShadowAdds an extra life; upon death, it respawns Isaac as Black Judas with only two black hearts.
- Items that break rocks, like LeoAllows you to crush rocks when you walk over them. or Thunder ThighsDestroys rocks upon contact with Isaac. Adds one heart container and lowers Speed. nullify part of the advantage Azazel gains from flight as he will no longer be able to hover over them to avoid enemy projectiles.
Unlockable Items[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In the Bible, Azazel is the name given to the goat that was cast into the wild as part of Jewish atonement rituals. However, in certain traditions of Abrahamic religions, Azazel refers to the fallen angel who taught people to make weapons and jewelry and taught women the "sinful art" of painting their faces, as mentioned in the apocryphal Book of Enoch. Azazel is referenced three times in the Bible; this may be why he spawns with three black hearts.
|The NailComplete the Boss Rush as AzazelDemon BabyDefeat The Lamb as AzazelSatanic BibleDefeat Isaac as AzazelDaemon's TailDefeat Satan as AzazelAbaddonDefeat ??? as AzazelWrapped Baby Defeat Mom's Heart on hard mode as Azazel
Defeat Mom's Heart on hard mode as LazarusBegotten Baby Defeat Mom's Heart on hard mode as Lazarus
Defeat Mom's Heart on hard mode as Azazel
|Maw of the VoidDefeat Hush as AzazelLilithDefeat Ultra Greed as AzazelBlack BabyDefeat Mega Satan as AzazelSucky BabyEarn all hard mode completion marks as Azazel||Dark Prince's CrownDefeat Delirium as AzazelBat WingDefeat Ultra Greedier as Azazel|
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
|Achievements||Attributes||Bosses||Cards and Runes||Challenges||Chapters|