Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
|3 Bob's BrainSpawns a familiar that charges forward when shooting tears and explodes upon contact with an enemy, damaging and poisoning them. The familiar respawns after a few seconds.|
Thunder ThighsDestroys rocks upon contact with Isaac. Adds one heart container and lowers Speed.
|: no : yes|
|Stud FinderComplete challenge #27|
|Defeat Isaac 5 timesBRAINS!|
BRAINS! is Challenge #27, added in Afterbirth. This challenge is played as ??? and start blindfolded, with 3 Bob's BrainSpawns a familiar that charges forward when shooting tears and explodes upon contact with an enemy, damaging and poisoning them. The familiar respawns after a few seconds. and Thunder ThighsDestroys rocks upon contact with Isaac. Adds one heart container and lowers Speed.. The goal is to defeat ???. Treasure Rooms do not spawn in this Challenge.
Difficulty[edit | edit source]
Bob's Brain is a difficult item to use, as it is not only easy to deal one full heart of self-damage when fighting enemies, it also leaves ??? exposed while waiting for the brains to respawn. Adding to the problem is that playing as ??? which forbids him from obtaining red hearts. With no treasure rooms and having to reach all the way to The Chest, lots of skill and luck is necessary to beat this challenge.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
- Make sure to pick The PolaroidIf the character has half a red heart or no red hearts after taking damage, it triggers the Book Of Shadows effect, creating a shield that nullifies all types of damage for 5 seconds. Also allows entrance into The Chest. after the fight against Mom. If The NegativeIf the character has half a red heart or no red hearts after taking damage, it triggers The Necronomicon effect, damaging all enemies in the room. Also allows entrance into the Dark Room. is chosen instead, ??? will not be teleported to The Chest after the Cathedral. And will not be able to fight ??? and the challenge will be over.
- Can only take The Polaroid, as The Negative won't spawn.
- Try to space out the shots with Bob's Brain so the respawn time isn't as long. Achieving a rhythm makes it much easier to efficiently kill enemies, especially bosses, without taking as much damage.
- Any method of damaging enemies besides Bob's Brain is incredibly helpful.
- Sharp StrawDamages all enemies in the room. is incredibly useful as it can be used multiple times per room, deals high amounts of damage to any enemy including bosses, may drop half soul-hearts, and do not have to aim to use it. For it to be obtained, however, need to purchase ChaosChaos causes items to be chosen from random item pools. When picked up, drops between 1-6 random pickups on the floor. from a shop, or survive until reaching The Chest.
- Like any blindfolded run, familiars are useful for this challenge. Not only can they safely extinguish fires (except Rotten BabyA familiar that spawns blue flies.), they can help take care of weak or weakened enemies while the brains respawn. However, do have to hold the firing keys to make them attack (excluding SuccubusSpawns a flying familiar that bounces around the room with a black aura, dealing rapid damage to any enemies inside it. While standing in the aura, Isaac gains a 1.5x tear damage multiplier.), increasing the risk of harming Blue Baby by one of the brains. Most strong familiars are also exclusive to Devil Rooms, so must maintain health if wanting them without putting the run at risk.
- Most of Lilith's unlockables are especially valuable in this run; IncubusA demonic familiar that follows Isaac and shoots tears identical to Isaac's in terms of damage, range, fire rate, and effects. and Succubus are among the most powerful familiars, while Box of FriendsUpon use, duplicates all of Isaac's familiars for the current room. can double any familiars. Taking the time to unlock these can be beneficial for this challenge.
- Other good familiars aside from Incubus and Succubus include Demon BabyFollows Isaac and automatically fires at enemies in its reach., who fires on its own, Lil' BrimstoneA Familiar that shoots a thin Brimstone beam. Must charge like Brimstone before shooting., who can hit multiple enemies per shot, and Rotten Baby, whose flies will home in onto enemies.
- The damaging trails from the Bob transformation or Headless BabyFamiliar that follows Isaac, leaving blood creep on the ground. can be useful, allowing chasing enemies to be killed without the risk of taking damage from Bob's Brain. However, this method takes a lot of time and is useless against flying enemies.
- Buying The CandleThrows out a blue flame that can pass over gaps (but not through rocks). The flame damages anything in its path. or Red CandleThrows a persistent flame that deals high damage and diminishes as it damages enemies or blocks shots. from the shop can make this challenge a lot easier, since both do a lot of damage and can be used multiple times in a room.
- Orbitals, such as Cube of MeatOrbiting familiar that blocks enemy shots and deals damage to enemies. If collected while already having one, makes the familiar evolve. Only drops from Horsemen. Similar to Ball of Bandages. and Sacrificial DaggerDagger orbits Isaac, dealing very high damage., can be a good source of damage. But make sure to not press the firing keys while orbitals do damage, as it will harm ??? if having at least one brain.
- Once The PolaroidIf the character has half a red heart or no red hearts after taking damage, it triggers the Book Of Shadows effect, creating a shield that nullifies all types of damage for 5 seconds. Also allows entrance into The Chest. is obtained, orbitals start becoming more useful. Since the shield will always trigger from any damage, it will give a little time to run into enemies and deal contact damage, preferably against weaker enemies to save the brains for stronger ones.
- PyromaniacIsaac heals 1 heart instead of taking damage from an explosive source. Adds 5 bombs. and Host HatA host familiar that sits on Isaac's head and has a random chance to block enemy shots and retaliate with 3 tears. Grants immunity to explosions. make this challenge much easier, as ??? no longer takes damage from the brain's explosions.
- Use Thunder Thighs to break rocks, as this can sometimes open a crawl space with items such as Pyromaniac.
- Also, keep an eye out for tinted rocks, as they can have valuable soul hearts, as well as pickups and items via Golden Chests. Thunder Thighs allows Blue Baby to break them for free, so there is no reason to skip any of them. But it is not advised to pick up The Small RockIncreases damage by 1, increases tears by 0.2, and decreases speed by 0.1. unless having items that depend on the damage stat, as it lowers already low speed.
- Speed items help keep distance from chasing enemies, making it easier to avoid taking splash damage from a brain's explosion. Since Thunder Thighs slows Blue Baby down, at least one or two Speed items are necessary to outrun most enemies.
- Flying is very useful to give more breathing room by preventing ??? from becoming cornered in a bad room layout, as well as negating the threat of spikes or creep.
- IV - The EmperorTeleports Isaac into the Boss Room of a floor. can be extremely valuable, especially in the late game because it allows skipping of difficult floors like the Cathedral and the Chest and go straight to the boss, minimizing the amount of fighting required.
- Keep an eye out for Libraries, since there are many good defensive or health-related items that can be obtained, like Book of RevelationsAdds 1 soul heart, increases the chance for a Devil or Angel Room to appear, and increases the chance for the next boss to be a Horseman (except on XL floors and floors with fixed bosses such as Mom). and Book of ShadowsUpon use, creates a protective shield nullifying all types of damage for 10 seconds..
- If damage via an enemy is unavoidable, collide with the enemy first and then blow it up with a brain while invincibility frames last. Blue Baby will get hurt either way, but he will only lose half a heart instead of a full heart. However, this strategy does not work against Champion enemies (if it does two full hearts of damage, it is a better idea blowing it up instead) and enemies that naturally do one full heart of damage (like Chubbers), and will always take a full heart of damage anyway starting from the Womb.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If entering The Void after killing Mom or Mom's Heart/It Lives, it is still possible to collect the trophy by defeating Delirium. However, this is extremely inadvisable unless having a very good run up to the Mom fight and want an extra challenge.
Reward[edit | edit source]
|1.||Pitch Black||2.||High Brow||3.||Head Trauma||4.||Darkness Falls||5.||The Tank||6.||Solar System||7.||Suicide King||8.||Cat Got Your Tongue|
|9.||Demo Man||10.||Cursed!||11.||Glass Cannon||12.||When Life Gives You Lemons||13.||Beans!||14.||It's in the Cards||15.||Slow Roll||16.||Computer Savvy|
|17.||Waka Waka||18.||The Host||19.||The Family Man||20.||Purist|
|21.||XXXXXXXXL||22.||SPEED!||23.||Blue Bomber||24.||PAY TO PLAY||25.||Have a Heart||26.||I RULE!||27.||BRAINS!||28.||PRIDE DAY!|
|29.||Onan's Streak||30.||The Guardian|
|31.||Backasswards||32.||Aprils Fool||33.||Pokey Mans||34.||Ultra Hard||35.||Pong|
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
|Achievements||Attributes||Bosses||Cards and Runes||Challenges||Chapters|