The Beggar is a randomly occurring NPC in the game. There are a total of 4 types of beggars, each requesting different donations. Isaac can donate pennies, keys, hearts, or bombs by simply walking into them. This kindness isn't unrewarded, as each donation can cause the Beggar to drop various pickups and trinkets. Sometimes, the beggar will drop an Item and disappear. The rate of drops isn't influenced by luck.
Beggars can be destroyed by bombs, causing them to drop a few pickups.
Normal Beggars, Devil Beggars, Key Masters, and Bomb Bums can be spawned using the XX - Judgement tarot card.
Beggars ask for coins. Each coin donated has a chance to have him drop a random pickup, card, or an item from the Beggar Item Pool. After spawning a pedestal item, the Beggar will disappear and can no longer be donated to.
- Bombing a normal Beggar increases the chance for the Angel/Devil Room to open for the floor, and donating to a normal Beggar until it spawns an item increases the chance to get an Angel Room for the floor.
Devil Beggars ask for hearts. Each heart donated has a chance to have him drop a card, pill, trinket, or an item from the Demon Beggar Item Pool. After spawning a pedestal item, the beggar will disappear and can no longer be donated to.
- Bombing a Devil Beggar increases the chance to get an Angel Room for the floor, and donating to a Devil Beggar until it spawns an item decreases the chance to get an Angel Room for the floor.
- Similar to a blood donation machine, Devil Beggars will take Eternal Hearts first, then Red Hearts. If Isaac only has half a Red Heart remaining, he will then take Black Hearts and Soul Hearts. It is possible to die in this manner.
- Until the Womb/Utero floors, the donation will only be 1/2 a heart. Once Isaac reaches the Womb, it will be a whole heart. This can be mitigated by The Wafer, which cuts it back down to 1/2 heart.
- The donations activate damage effects, such as Holy Water or Celtic Cross.
- Activating Devil Beggars while using an item that grants invincibility, such as the or Rune of Algiz, will not lower Isaac's health, but will still cause the beggar to spawn items. It is also possible to exploit the period of invincibility Isaac gains after taking damage to activate the Devil Beggar multiple times for the price of one donation. Holy Mantle is ignored, though, so The Lost will be killed instantly.
- It is possible to donate twice with a single 1/2 heart (or 1 heart if conditions apply) if the player is fast enough.
- Blind Rage will double the length of Isaac's invincibility period after donating, allowing more donations to be made with each half heart.
Key Masters are rare, and ask for keys
. Each key donated has a chance to have him drop a random chest
, an Item from the Key Master Item Pool
, or the Paper Clip
. After spawning a pedestal item or the Paper Clip
, the Key Master will disappear and can no longer be donated to.
- If found inside the secret room on The Dark Room or The Chest, the chest payouts will contain items.
- Possessing a golden key will not affect the Key Master in any way.
Bomb Bums are extremely rare, and ask for bombs. Each bomb donated has a chance to have him drop 1-2 bomb pickups or an item from the Bomb Bum Item Pool. After spawning a pedestal item, the Bomb Bum will disappear and can no longer be donated to.
- It is possible that the Bomb Bum will spawn a Troll Bomb underneath itself.
- Possessing a gold bomb will not affect the Bomb Bum in any way.
The Shell Game Beggar can sometimes be found in the Arcade; he also has a very small chance to spawn elsewhere. After giving him a coin by bumping into him, he will lift a skull, revealing a penny, bomb, heart, or key. He will shuffle the skulls around and wait for Isaac to bump into 1 of the 3 shells. In return, he will either spawn 2 of the pickups or an Attack Fly.
- The shell chosen is irrelevant; the chance of winning is based off of Isaac's Luck Stat and possession of Lucky Foot.
- Sometimes, the item under the skulls will be the Skatole item. If this item is received, the Beggar will disappear. This is the only collectible item he can drop.
- If Skatole has already been acquired, other Shell Game Beggars will never give a second Skatole and will remain until destroyed.
- If you wish to avoid a Skatole pickup (for example, you want to spend more coins before possibly acquiring Skatole), leave the room - this resets the Shell Game (though your previous coin is lost).
- An Arcade with a blood donation machine and a Shell Game Beggar can provide the player with a large amount of resources. Donate the hearts that the Beggar drops to the machine and use the coins to keep playing.
- The Luck Stat increases the winning chances with the Shell Game Beggar. However, the chance cannot be increased to 100%.
- Item payouts are subjected to the same spawning chances as usual. Bombs can be replaced with troll bombs or double bombs, red hearts can be replaced with half red hearts, soul hearts, black hearts, or eternal hearts, and pennies can be replaced with nickels or dimes. Under the effects of Humbling Bundle, bombs will be double bombs, red hearts will be double red hearts, and keys will be double keys.