Book of the Dead is an unlockable active item added in The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth †.
- When used, spawns one of the following things for each enemy already killed in the current room:
- Orbital bones deal contact damage equal to Isaac's damage at the time it was spawned, repel enemies that touch it, and will block 3 shots or deal 2 ticks of contact damage before being destroyed.
- Bonies deal 8.3 contact damage and 5 damage with thrown bones.
- Black Bonies will explode on death, dealing 40 damage to enemies it hits. The explosion will not hurt Isaac.
- Using the book in a room that had no enemies or was re-entered does nothing and expends the charge.
- Orbital bones occupy the same area around Isaac as Blue Flies, meaning Isaac can have an incredibly dense ring of bone orbitals around him that nullifies most attacks.
- Having a large amount of blue flies can create gaps in the ring of bone orbitals that leave Isaac vulnerable in those spots.
- Enemy remains can be animated only once, so using the book multiple times in the same room requires more enemies to have died for it to create an effect.
- Destroying black poop will damage the friendly Bonies acquired from this item.
- Spawn three charmed enemies in the same room.
Concept art for "Reanimate" (misspelled as "Reanimte"), an early version of Book of the Dead, on the right side along with other Booster Pack items and trinkets, by Edmund McMillen.
- The Book of the Dead has been added in Booster Pack #5, after the initial release of the DLC.
- The Book of the Dead is a collection of ancient Egyptian funerary texts made out of papyrus, consisting of magic spells intended to assist a soul's journey through the Duat (underworld) and into the afterlife.
- The quote "Rise from the Grave" is a reference to the beginning screen of the video game "Altered Beast".
If sufficiently many bone orbitals are created, other familiars may disappear. Collecting a new familiar or resuming the run will restore the missing familiars.