|(page 1, column 15, row 6)(page 2, column 5, row 2)
Brimstone is a special passive item.
- Isaac's tears are replaced with a charged blood laser beam. The beam is piercing and spectral, dealing damage to all enemies and ignoring all obstacles in its path.
- The laser deals damage equal to Isaac's damage each tick, and ticks a total of 13 times.
- Tears down: Delay * 3.
- This item belongs to the Leviathan set. Collecting three items from this set will transform Isaac into Leviathan.
- Azazel starts the game with a short-ranged, slower charging version of Brimstone. Picking up Brimstone with him will give him the long-ranged version. Without the long-range version, his mini-brimstone won't have enough length to use any homing items. His Brimstone's shorter range can be increased with range up items or pills.
- If multiple Brimstones are picked up (via Diplopia, Crooked Penny or on a Victory Lap), then another beam is added, with no increase in charge time.
- Although extremely unlikely, a total of 16 blood beams can be on screen at a time (including beams shot with tear-increasing items, such as 20/20). If another Brimstone is picked up, the beams' span will widen.
- 20/20: Overridden by Brimstone.
- Shoots two Brimstone lasers simultaneously without increasing charge time.
- 8 Inch Nails: Brimstone pushes enemies away in the direction the beam is traveling, but not out of the path of the beam.
- Chocolate Milk: Doesn't increase damage, but reduces Isaac's tear delay by 20%. Beam is colored brown.
- Compound Fracture/ Cricket's Body: Overridden by Brimstone. Stat effects are still applied.
- Continuum: Overridden by Brimstone.
- Cursed Eye: Overridden by Brimstone.
- Dr. Fetus: Overrides Brimstone.
- Isaac shoots bombs while charging Brimstone.
- Epic Fetus: Overrides Brimstone.
- After the missile hits the ground, it spawns 10 Brimstone beams similar to the effect given by Sad Bombs. Azazel's mini-brimstone does not give the Sad Bombs effect.
- Evil Eye: Overridden by Brimstone.
- Fire Mind: Beam inflicts burning, but cannot cause explosions or leave fires on the ground.
- Flat Stone: Overridden by Brimstone.
- Flat Worm: No effect.
- The Forgotten: The charged attack will spawn a Brimstone ball that will float in front of The Forgotten for a few seconds before disappearing. The Forgotten will still melee attack while performing this action.
- Holy Light: Overridden by Brimstone.
- Hook Worm: Beam changes angles while firing straight. Effectively increases the width of the beam.
- Ipecac: The character gains neither the increased damage nor the decreased tears of Ipecac. They only gain the poison effect.
- Isaac shoots Ipecac tears while charging Brimstone. Both Brimstone and Ipecac shots modify Isaac's damage and tear delay stat, meaning that Ipecac fires slower and Brimstone charges slower, but Brimstone deals significantly increased damage. The beam is colored yellowish-green. Take care to pre-charge Brimstone so that the Ipecac shot is on cooldown as Isaac enters a room.
- Isaac's Tears: Fires normal tears, but nearly instantly charges when charging Brimstone.
- Jacob's Ladder: Overridden by Brimstone.
- Kidney Stone: Overridden by Brimstone.
- Lachryphagy: Overridden by Brimstone.
- Lead Pencil: Overridden by Brimstone.
- A Lump of Coal: Changes the beam's color to black. However, it does not affect damage.
- Beam will gradually increase in size but rapidly increase the damage the farther it travels, on a multiplier that is roughly +20% per tile of distance. This allows for a huge damage increase from longer distances.
- Marked: Overridden by Brimstone.
- Monstro's Lung: Overridden by Brimstone.
- Fires 3-5 additional Brimstone lasers in random directions around Isaac. It does not increase the charge time. Charging a new Brimstone laser removes the original from in front of the player, but not the additional ones added by Monstro's Lung. This effectively increases the fire rate.
- My Reflection: Overridden by Brimstone.
- Makes the beam curve when moving. It has the same effect on Azazel's mini-brimstone but doubles the range.
- Mysterious Liquid: Overridden by Brimstone.
- When Brimstone hits enemies or walls it leaves creep based on how long it hits.
- The Parasite: Overridden by Brimstone.
- Pop!: Overridden by Brimstone.
- Proptosis: Damage is doubled with no drop-off at the range.
- Damage is doubled again for a total of 4x next to Isaac, but quickly drops further along the beam, at about 0.8x per tile of distance.
- Pupula Duplex: Overridden by Brimstone.
- Rubber Cement: Lasers ricochet off walls.
- If Azazel's mini Brimstone beam ricochets, it effectively becomes a full-length Brimstone beam.
- Soy Milk: Greatly reduces Brimstone charge time and damage.
- Technology: Overridden by Brimstone.
- Brimstone beams become surrounded with swiveling Technology laser beams, granting a 1.5x damage multiplier (it stacks with other similar multipliers like Cricket's Head or Magic Mushroom.
- Technology Zero: Overridden by Brimstone.
- Technology 2: Overridden by Brimstone, but retains the reduced damage.
- Laser fires while Brimstone is charging.
- Tech.5: Overridden by Brimstone unless using Azazel, in which case it will fire with his Brimstone beam.
- Tech.5 fires normally while charging Brimstone.
- Trisagion: Overridden by Brimstone.
- Apple!/ Euthanasia/ Tough Love: The beam can gain the damage multiplier from each of the items, although there is no visual difference. The bonus applies for the whole beam and not on a per-tick basis. Euthanasia loses its instant kill ability, however.
- Anti-Gravity: An orb of energy expands, then shrinks while firing the beam after a delay. The orb still hurts enemies if they touch it. It makes it harder to hit enemies with Azazel as the laser does not increase in range. Effectively allows a faster firing rate, since Isaac can start charging a new shot immediately after releasing the fire key without canceling the first shot and is a great combo with Soy Milk.
- Anti-Gravity + Incubus: Familiar will fire regular Brimstone lasers.
- The Common Cold: Beam turns green and poisons enemies.
- Diplopia: Picking up two Brimstones will make Isaac simultaneously fire two lasers, similar to the 20/20 effect.
- God's Flesh: Chance to shrink enemies and turns the beam indigo blue.
- Guppy: Blue Flies are spawned at a rate of approximately one Blue Fly per tick of damage for each enemy it hits. This causes a lot of Blue Flies to spawn very quickly. The spawned Blue Flies will also move to attack the targeted enemy immediately.
- Haemolacria: Increased tear delay and damage, and blood tears burst into several lasers fired in random directions.
- Homing tears: Beams home towards enemies similar to The Gate's. Azazel's mini-brimstone does not home unless he has a high range stat.
- Loki's Horns: Occasionally causes Isaac to fire the beam in all four cardinal directions, similarly to Head of Krampus's effect.
- The Ludovico Technique: The laser becomes a large ring that is controllable and does not need to be charged. Enemies inside the ring without touching it are not hurt. The shot speed is ignored. The tears stat is ignored and the damage is dealt very rapidly at a rate equivalent to a 2 tear delay.
- Mom's Eye: Sometimes shoots a laser from the back of Isaac's head.
- Mom's Knife: Adds a small barrage of knives after the main knife is fired, with each knife doing 80% of Isaac's tear damage. The barrage of knives goes all the way across the screen and increases in quantity the longer the charge.
- Mom's Wig: Holding down a fire button to charge the attack very rapidly rolls the probability to spawn Blue Spiders; releasing to fire the beam, however, does not.
- Monstro's Lung: Causes Isaac to fire multiple beams in random directions.
- The Mulligan: Spawns Blue Flies constantly when hitting an enemy.
- Number One: Greatly decreases charge time and turns beam yellow.
- Polyphemus: Significantly increases the damage of Brimstone and increases charge duration.
- Sad Bombs: Changes the tears fired by bombs upon their explosions to Brimstone beams, in a manner identical to its synergy with Tammy's Head.
- Spider Bite: Slow effect persists and turns the beam color to light pink.
- Strange Attractor: Enemies are sucked towards the beam, increasing damage significantly. Consumables will also be moved by the beam.
- Tech X: Brimstone now becomes a large ring that varies in size depending on how long it is charged before firing.
- Tech X + A Lump of Coal: The Brimstone ring now increases in size and damage the further it travels.
- Tech X + Mom's Knife: Mom's Knife and a Mom's Knife+Brimstone barrage are shot alongside the rings.
- Tiny Planet: The beam will wrap around the character and shoot straight forward.
- The term brimstone (burn stone) comes from the King James Bible's mention of burning sulfur. It is used in the phrase "fire and brimstone" to describe the torments of hell.
- Brimstone's item icon originally comes from the alchemical symbol for sulfur, referred to as the Leviathan Cross. It was later adopted by Anton LaVey in The Satanic Bible to represent hell and is now often associated with Satanism.
- The ram horns gained from picking up Brimstone were added as a cosmetic item to Team Fortress 2 to promote The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth. If the game was purchased before the 10th of December, players were awarded the item in genuine quality.
Brimstone with Tiny Planet, Common Cold and Tammy's Head.
The Ludovico Technique with Brimstone and Wiggle Worm.
Brimstone with Tiny Planet, Charm Tears and Quad Shot.
PC DQY7 QK7M (The Basement XL: Second boss's Devil Room)
PC QW44 N10D (Second floor Devil Room; Isaac may proceed normally, but all other characters must not enter the first floor Treasure Room)
PC B8TK KNEP (Second floor Devil Room)
Vita LHVK 9NTS (Second floor Devil Room)
PS4 SSH7 STDS (Second Floor Devil Room)
Switch DBDR SJGV (First floor Devil Room)