| (page 1, column 18, line 4)
(page 1, column 8, line 8)
Dead Cat is a passive item.
- Sets Isaac's red heart containers to 1.
- Does not remove Soul Hearts or Black Hearts unless playing as ???.
- Grants 9 extra lives.
- The head of Guppy begins following Isaac like a familiar upon pickup, but doesn't actually do anything.
- When Isaac has lost all of the lives provided by this item, the dead cat familiar will disappear.
- This item belongs to the Guppy set. Collecting three items from this set will transform Isaac into Guppy.
- This item comes after Guppy's Collar, Lazarus' Rags, and 1up! in priority.
- This item comes before Judas' Shadow and Missing Poster in priority.
- Picking this up as ??? will set his health to 1 Soul Heart.
- Picking this up as The Lost will not show a number of remaining lives, but will still function.
- Picking this up as Keeper will reduce his total number of health coins down to one, meaning he will die upon taking any damage. A Health Up Item will restore the lost health coin.
- Picking this up as the The Forgotten has a different effect depending on which form he is in. Picking it up in skeletal form will reduce bone hearts to 1 and will not affect the Soul, while picking it up as the Soul will reduce soul hearts to 1 and will not affect the skeletal form.
- Taking Dead Cat through a deal with the Devil while at one heart will still leave Isaac with one heart.
- The lives are added after the "picking up an item" animation has ended, so characters that die while the animation is playing will not be revived by this item.
- The effects of the D4, D100, Missing No., or 1- or 6-Pip Dice Room will not remove the lives granted by this item.
- Deaths do not count towards the statistics if Isaac still has extra lives.
- Additional dead cats can be picked up during a run, increasing lives well past 9. Only the first dead cat counts toward becoming Guppy.
- Picking up Dead Cat when the player has 0 heart containers and greater than 11 soul hearts can cause the player to go over the normal 12 cap by up to 1 heart temporarily.
- This item counts as 9 items, so if the player is game on trying for an early portal to The Void after beating Mom, this will significantly boost the progress closer to 20 items.
Isaac and Dead Cat familiar.
PC R96W PFVJ (Dead Cat, Guppy's Head, and Guppy's Collar all on the first floor in the curse room)
PC G6GE 0GFV (curse room adjacent to spawn, found in red chest along with Guppy's Paw)
Vita G6GE 0GFV (curse room adjacent to spawn, found in red chest along with Guppy's Paw)
Switch MW2N WAJC (Curse room adjacent to spawn, found in red chest)
Switch KEBM C08G (Second floor devil room)