Dead Onion is a passive item.
Effects[edit | edit source]
- Grants piercing and spectral tears.
- Increases tear size (without increasing damage).
- +0.25 Range.
- -0.4 Shot Speed.
- -0.5 Shot Height.
Synergies[edit | edit source]
- EuthanasiaAdds a chance to fire needles. If a needle kills an enemy, it bursts into more needles.: When needles are fired, they retain spectral and piercing effects, although they disappear at short range.
- HaemolacriaTears are now fired in an arc. Upon hitting the floor, an obstacle, or an enemy, they burst into many smaller tears in all directions. Increases tear delay.: Tears are fired much more slowly, making it easier to aim at enemies. Tears are also much bigger making it easier for them to hit enemies.
- IncubusA demonic familiar that follows Isaac and shoots tears identical to Isaac's in terms of damage, range, fire rate, and effects.: Does not affect shot speed or tear size but still gives the piercing effect.
- IpecacReplaces tears with explosive and poisoning projectiles fired in an arc from the mouth.: Slows your tears, making it easier to aim at enemies.
- LachryphagyIsaac's tears decelerate as they travel. Upon stopping or hitting an obstacle, they burst into 8 tears in all directions. Tears can be fired into other tears to feed them, increasing their damage.: Fired tears and burst tears will retain spectral and piercing effects. They are also bigger, making them easier to burst.
- Lost ContactEvery tear has a small shield which will allow it to block one enemy projectile.: The tears can pass through multiple enemy projectiles. This means that one tear can both hurt an enemy and block its projectiles.
- The ParasiteIsaac's tears split in two when they hit something.: Tears continue to pass through enemies and create additional tears on contact.
- Tech XTears are replaced with laser rings that pierce through enemies and deal damage to enemies within them. Can be charged to increase the size of the ring.: Lower shot speed allows laser rings to hit enemies more.
- Tiny PlanetRange up and makes shot tears revolve around Isaac until they drop.: Tears become bigger, orbit more slowly, and orbit closer to Isaac making it easier to hit enemies.
Interactions[edit | edit source]
- Azazel: No effect as Azazel's Brimstone attack is already piercing and spectral; effective range remains the same.
- Compound FractureIncreases range. Tears turn into bones, which shatter into 1-3 bone shards upon hitting an enemy or obstacle.: Bone tears retain all effects and will only burst into bone shards when passing through enemies or obstacles.
- Cricket's BodyGrants -1 Tear Delay and reduces Range. When tears hit an object or deplete their range, they spawn 4 smaller tears, whose Range and Damage scale with Isaac's.: Not recommended without pre-existing range boosts, as it significantly decreases effective range.
- Dr. FetusTears are replaced by bombs that benefit from bomb-enhancing effects and slide a fixed range after being fired.: Not recommended. Bombs are slow to fire and will pass through enemies, making it far more difficult to hit them with explosions.
- Epic FetusIsaac's tears are replaced with guided missiles, like those used by the Doctor's Remote.: Overrides Dead Onion, although stat effects apply.
- The Ludovico TechniqueInstead of firing tears, Isaac controls one floating tear that hover over obstacles. This tear deals constant damage when held in place over an enemy.: Not recommended. Tear moves very slowly making it hard to kill mobile enemies.
- A Lump of CoalThe more distance tears travel, the more damage they will do.: Tears will grow and increase in damage as they travel; however, since Dead Onion decreases shot speed, they don't get much benefit before they disappear.
- Mom's KnifeIsaac's tears are replaced by a knife that pierces enemies, can travel through obstacles, and can hurt enemies while Isaac is holding it. Holding down the fire button before firing increases its range and power.: Overrides Dead Onion.
- Monstro's LungIncreases damage and grants a charged shot that fires multiple tears in the same fashion as Monstro.: Fires a barrage of large tears that disappear at close range. Spectral and piercing effect make it very effective at close range.
- My ReflectionGives Isaac's tears a boomerang effect, and increases range and shot speed.: Not recommended. Tears will travel a very short distance before they return to Isaac and eventually disappear.
- ProptosisTears start out massive with high damage, and then shrink down and become weaker over a short range.: Not recommended. While tears do massive damage at short range, it makes it a lot easier to be damaged by explosive enemies or enemies that do contact damage.
- Rubber CementTears bounce off walls, enemies, and environmental objects.: Edges of tears retain both piercing and spectral effects, however the center of the tear will lose them and bounce.
- TrisagionTears are replaced with piercing white blasts of light.: Not recommended. Beams are slow to fire and disappear quickly.
- Sulfuric AcidIncreases damage. Adds a chance to fire acidic tears which can destroy obstacles.: Not recommended. Acid Tears no longer impact objects and can no longer open secret rooms.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Although it says "Toxic aura tears", the tears do not do toxic/poison damage.
- Using Dead Onion in a Crawl Space will cause tears to fall through the floor.
In-game Footage[edit | edit source]
Bugs[edit | edit source]
Bug! Picking up Dead Onion with ???, The Lost, or the Keeper gives you Isaac's head, but the respective character's body.
Seeds[edit | edit source]
1ERB 9HEH (treasure room adjacent to spawn)
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
|Achievements||Attributes||Bosses||Cards and Runes||Challenges||Chapters|