Major changes are coming to the Wiki! To learn more and let your voice be heard, please go here.
Additionally, we are currently experiencing some bugs and glitches. We're working on fixing them, but please be aware this means certain images, such as the collection grid for items, will be replaced by errors for the time being.
Dead Onion is a passive item.
Effects[edit | edit source]
- Grants piercing and spectral tears.
- Increases tear size (without increasing damage).
- +0.25 Range.
- -0.4 Shot Speed.
- -0.5 Shot Height.
Synergies[edit | edit source]
- EuthanasiaAdds a chance to fire needles. If a needle kills an enemy, it bursts into more needles.: When needles are fired, they retain spectral and piercing effects, although they disappear at short range.
- HaemolacriaTears are now fired in an arc. Upon hitting the floor, an obstacle, or an enemy, they burst into many smaller tears in all directions. Increases tear delay.: Tears are fired much more slowly, making it easier to aim at enemies. Tears are also much bigger making it easier for them to hit enemies.
- IncubusA demonic familiar that follows Isaac and shoots tears identical to Isaac's in terms of damage, range, fire rate, and effects.: Does not affect shot speed or tear size but still gives the piercing effect.
- IpecacReplaces tears with explosive and poisoning projectiles fired in an arc from the mouth.: Slows your tears, making it easier to aim at enemies.
- LachryphagyIsaac's tears decelerate as they travel. Upon stopping or hitting an obstacle, they burst into 8 tears in all directions. Tears can be fired into other tears to feed them, increasing their damage.: Fired tears and burst tears will retain spectral and piercing effects. They are also bigger, making them easier to burst.
- Lost ContactEvery tear has a small shield which will allow it to block one enemy projectile.: The tears can pass through multiple enemy projectiles. This means that one tear can both hurt an enemy and block its projectiles.
- The ParasiteIsaac's tears split in two when they hit something.: Tears continue to pass through enemies and create additional tears on contact.
- Tech XTears are replaced with laser rings that pierce through enemies and deal damage to enemies within them. Can be charged to increase the size of the ring.: Lower shot speed allows laser rings to hit enemies more.
- Tiny PlanetRange up and makes shot tears revolve around Isaac until they drop.: Tears become bigger, orbit more slowly, and orbit closer to Isaac making it easier to hit enemies.
Interactions[edit | edit source]
- Azazel: No effect as Azazel's Brimstone attack is already piercing and spectral; effective range remains the same.
- Compound FractureIncreases range. Tears turn into bones, which shatter into 1-3 bone shards upon hitting an enemy or obstacle.: Bone tears retain all effects and will only burst into bone shards when passing through enemies or obstacles.
- Cricket's BodyGrants -1 Tear Delay and reduces Range. When tears hit an object or deplete their range, they spawn 4 smaller tears, whose Range and Damage scale with Isaac's.: Not recommended without pre-existing range boosts, as it significantly decreases effective range.
- Dr. FetusTears are replaced by bombs that benefit from bomb-enhancing effects and slide for a fixed time after being fired.: Not recommended. Bombs are slow to fire and will pass through enemies, making it far more difficult to hit them with explosions.
- Epic FetusIsaac's tears are replaced with guided missiles, like those used by the Doctor's Remote.: Overrides Dead Onion, although stat effects apply.
- The Ludovico TechniqueInstead of firing tears, Isaac controls one floating tear that hover over obstacles. This tear deals constant damage when held in place over an enemy.: Not recommended. Tear moves very slowly making it hard to kill mobile enemies.
- A Lump of CoalThe more distance tears travel, the more damage they will do.: Tears will grow and increase in damage as they travel; however, since Dead Onion decreases shot speed, they don't get much benefit before they disappear.
- Mom's KnifeIsaac's tears are replaced by a knife that pierces enemies, can travel through obstacles, and can hurt enemies while Isaac is holding it. Holding down the fire button before firing increases its range and power.: Overrides Dead Onion.
- Monstro's LungIncreases damage and grants a charged shot that fires multiple tears in the same fashion as Monstro.: Fires a barrage of large tears that disappear at close range. Spectral and piercing effect make it very effective at close range.
- My ReflectionGives Isaac's tears a boomerang effect, and increases range and shot speed.: Not recommended. Tears will travel a very short distance before they return to Isaac and eventually disappear.
- ProptosisTears start out massive with high damage, and then shrink down and become weaker over a short range.: Not recommended. While tears do massive damage at short range, it makes it a lot easier to be damaged by explosive enemies or enemies that do contact damage.
- Rubber CementTears bounce off walls, enemies, and environmental objects.: Edges of tears retain both piercing and spectral effects, however the center of the tear will lose them and bounce.
- TrisagionTears are replaced with piercing white blasts of light.: Not recommended. Beams are slow to fire and disappear quickly.
- Sulfuric AcidIncreases damage. Adds a chance to fire acidic tears which can destroy obstacles.: Not recommended. Acid Tears no longer impact objects and can no longer open secret rooms.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Although it says "Toxic aura tears", the tears do not do toxic/poison damage.
- Using Dead Onion in a Crawl Space will cause tears to fall through the floor.
In-game Footage[edit | edit source]
Seeds[edit | edit source]
1ERB 9HEH (treasure room adjacent to spawn)
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
|Achievements||Attributes||Bosses||Cards and Runes||Challenges||Chapters|