|This article is a stub.|
You can help the Binding of Isaac: Rebirth Wiki by.
|This article is about popular culture references. For the Seed Generator which doubles as a cheat code entry, see Seeds.|
Easter eggs is one of the speculation pages in The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth. Besides the obvious Seeds - (Seed Generator which doubles as a cheat code entry), there's lots more references to popular culture in the game.
Super Meat Boy[edit | edit source]
- Ball of BandagesOrbiting familiar that deals damage to enemies. If collected while already having one, makes the familiar evolve. Only drops from Horsemen. Similar to Cube of Meat. - Gotta lick 'em all! (Becomes Bandage Girl from Super Meat Boy).
- Cube of MeatOrbiting familiar that blocks enemy shots and deals damage to enemies. If collected while already having one, makes the familiar evolve. Only drops from Horsemen. Similar to Ball of Bandages. - (Becomes Super Meat Boy).
- Dr. FetusTears are replaced by bombs that benefit from bomb-enhancing effects and slide for a fixed time after being fired. - (Reference to the villain Dr. Fetus from Super Meat Boy).
- Epic FetusIsaac's tears are replaced with guided missiles, like those used by the Doctor's Remote. -
- Little C.H.A.D.A familiar who will drop a half red heart every 2 rooms. - (Referencing C.H.A.D. shrinking after his defeat in Super Meat Boy).
- SMB Super FanIncreases all stats. - (Gives Isaac an appearance similar to Super Meat Boy).
- C.H.A.D. - (Reference to the boss C.H.A.D. from Super Meat Boy).
- Larry Jr.
Edmund's other games[edit | edit source]
Gish[edit | edit source]
- Ball of TarAdds a chance to shoot slowing tears and the character leaves a trail of slowing creep behind as he moves, impeding enemies' speed. - Gives Isaac an appearance similar to that of Gish.
- Clots - Enemies that appear to be smaller versions of Gish.
- Gish - The protagonist of Edmund's 2004 game, Gish.
- Little GishSpawns a familiar that follows Isaac around and fires slowing tears, impeding enemies' speed. - A familiar based off of Gish.
- Sisters Vis - A boss of Edmund's 2004 game, Gish.
Time Fcuk[edit | edit source]
- Little StevenSpawns a familiar that follows Isaac around and fires homing tears. - A reference to the smaller Steven from Time Fcuk.
- StevenIncreases Damage by 1. - Attaches a small head to Isaac, similar to the smaller Steven from Time Fcuk.
- Steven - The protagonist of Edmund's 2009 game, Time Fcuk.
Tri-achnid[edit | edit source]
- Triachnid - The protagonist of Edmund's 2006 game, Tri-achnid.
Spewer[edit | edit source]
- Lil SpewerSpawns a random pill, and grants a small Spewer familiar that charges up and fires different types of creep. - The protagonist of Edmund's 2009 game, Spewer.
Nintendo[edit | edit source]
Gameboy[edit | edit source]
- The GamekidUpon use, turns the character into a into a Pac-Man-like creature for 5 seconds, granting invulnerability, inflicting fear on all enemies, and replenishing half a red heart container for every two enemies killed. - Reference to Pacman and the Nintendo Gameboy.
Super Mario[edit | edit source]
- Magic MushroomIncreases most stats, enlarges Isaac, grants a heart container and restores all health. - All stats up! (Reference to the Super Mushroom power-up)
- 1up!Gives an extra life. Upon death, you will respawn in the previous room with full health and lose the 1up!. - Extra Life (Reference to the 1up power-up)
- Bobby-BombGives Isaac 5 Bombs, and causes all dropped bombs to home towards the closest enemy. - Homing bombs (Reference to the Bob-omb enemy from the Mario series)
- How to JumpGives Isaac the ability to jump (over gaps, spikes, etc.). - It's time you learned how. (The cover looks like the NES Super Mario Bros. cartridge)
- Liberty CapGrants a chance of triggering Mini Mush, Odd Mushroom (Large), Odd Mushroom (Thin) or The Compass effects for the current room upon entering it. - Touch fuzzy, get dizzy (Reference to level 1-7 in the Super Nintendo title Yoshi's Island)
Pokémon[edit | edit source]
- Friendly BallThrowing the ball at an enemy instantly kills it and captures it. The captured enemy can later be released and will be friendly, fighting for Isaac and persisting between rooms. - (The item is a reference to Poké Balls from the Pokémon franchise.)
- Missing No.Randomizes all passive items upon pickup and at the start of each succeeding floor. - (Reference to the infamous Missing No glitch from the first generation of Pokémon games)
- Poke GoUpon entering a room with enemies in it, has a chance to spawn a random friendly enemy that persists across rooms. (Reference to the mobile game Pokémon Go)
The Legend of Zelda[edit | edit source]
- The general gameplay is a reference to the original NES title, right down to the hud. Coins, Keys, and Bombs are used similarly to Rupees, Keys, and Bombs in the NES game.
- The original flash version of The Binding of Isaac uses a HUD that is a nearly direct port of the original NES Zelda title's HUD.
- Scolex may have been inspired by Lanmola from The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past, both being underground and surfacing to attack before returning underground.
- Death's Head was likely inspired by Bubbles from The Legend Of Zelda on the NES, as they as both skulls that are invulnerable and maneuver by bouncing off walls.
- Mom's Hands are a reference to Wallmasters from The Legend Of Zelda.
Kirby[edit | edit source]
- Camillo Jr. - Likely a reference to Kracko Jr. from the Kirby series.
Magic: The Gathering[edit | edit source]
- Chaos CardThrows the card to kill anything in its path. Opens normal doors. - Refers to Chaos Orb
- Black LotusGrants the player one red heart container, one soul heart, and one black heart. -
- Lord of the PitGrants flight and increases speed. -
- Spirit of the NightGrants spectral tears and flight. - Scary
- Contract From BelowDoubles the number of pickups and chests spawned after clearing a room or performing some other triggering action (such as using a blood donation machine), but reduces the chance for any pickups to spawn at all. - Wealth... but at what cost?
- Starter DeckIsaac can hold 2 cards at once and all pills are replaced by cards. - Extra card room
- Deck of CardsGives Isaac a random tarot card. -
Duke Nukem[edit | edit source]
- I Can See Forever -
- Balls Of Steel - (One of Duke Nukem's catchphrases from Duke Nukem Series)
Dungeons & Dragons[edit | edit source]
The first released four main characters you could pick in D&D are some of the playable characters in BOIR, based on the health and abilities.
- Isaac - Fighter
- Magdalene - Cleric
- Cain - Thief
- Judas - Mage
- The D6Allows Isaac to re-roll collectible items in the current room into other items, depending on the current room's Item Pool. - Reroll your destiny
- D7Restarts the current room and brings back all enemies, allowing more rewards to be acquired by completing the room. - Reroll Rewards!
- D20Rerolls all pickups in the current room. - Reroll the basics
- D100Upon use, rerolls all passive items on Isaac like the D4, every pedestal item in the room like The D6, and every pickup like the D20. - REROLLLLL!
- Monster ManualSummons a random familiar for the current room. Can summon familiars not yet unlocked.
Minecraft[edit | edit source]
- Notched AxeIsaac holds the axe above his head for as long as the spacebar button is held (or until he leaves the room). While holding the axe, Isaac can break any rock he touches, but cannot attack or pick up other items. -(Reference to Minecraft and its creator/former owner, Notch Persson.
- Mine CrafterWhen used, places an explosive TNT barrel that can be pushed and used to destroy rocks or damage enemies. If used a second time in the same room while the previous TNT barrel is still intact, it will remotely explode the TNT. - Booom! - (Minecraft)
Castlevania[edit | edit source]
- Globins may have been inspired by Red Skeletons from the Castlevania series, both having a "collapsed form" upon death before reviving itself if the form isn't killed.
- Mask Of Infamy - Carmilla from the Castlevania video game series.
- Holy WaterWhen Isaac receives damage, the bottle breaks and a puddle of blue creep forms, which damages non-flying enemies, similar to Lemon Mishap. The bottle is reformed upon entering a different room.
Other[edit | edit source]
- Steam SaleReduces all Shop prices by 50%, rounded down to 7 coins for an item, rounded up to 2-3 coins for a pickup. - (Steam / Valve)
- Troll Face (Can be Seen From Envy and Super Envy's face plus Pride/Super Pride's Troll Bomb Summon Attack) - Internet Meme
- Shoop Da Whoop!Fires a laser from Isaac's mouth. - Internet meme
- We Need to Go Deeper!Creates a trapdoor to go to the next floor. If used in The Womb, it will create a trapdoor to Sheol, even if the player hasn't unlocked it. - Reusable level skip (Quote from the film Inception)
- 8 Inch Nails+1.5 Damage Up. Replaces Isaac's tears with nails, which have increased knockback. - Stick it to 'em (9-Inch Nails rock group)
- Something Stinks / A Room Full Of Poop / Blank CardHas the same effect as the card or rune currently held by Isaac. - (Cards Against Humanity)
- Dople - Reference to the Doppelgänger from the Tomb Raider video games.
- Mr. ME!Summons a controllable ghost that can perform various tasks depending on what it targets. - Reference to Mr. Meeseeks from the Rick and Morty comedy series.
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
|Achievements||Attributes||Bosses||Cards and Runes||Challenges||Chapters|