Eye of Greed is an unlockable passive item added in Afterbirth †.
- Adds a golden tear every 20 tears fired, which causes enemies to turn gold and freeze for a few seconds (similar to Midas' TouchEnemies that touch you are stunned and turn gold. Any enemy killed while in this state will drop a coin.) at the cost of one penny. Golden tears can still be fired if Isaac has no money.
- Unlike other tear effects, golden tears are fired alongside regular tears rather than replacing a regular tear.
- With multi-shot abilities, whichever tear is the 20th since previous will produce the additional golden tear.
- The golden tear deals 2x normal damage.
- Enemies killed while golden will drop 1-4 pennies.
- BrimstoneTears are replaced by a laser beam that pierces through all enemies and obstacles in its path and deals high damage. Can only be fired after a short charge-up period.: Overrides Eye of Greed.
- DiplopiaDuplicates all pickups and item pedestals in the room.: No effect.
- Dr. FetusTears are replaced by bombs that benefit from bomb-enhancing effects and slide a fixed range after being fired.: Overrides Eye of Greed.
- Epic FetusIsaac's tears are replaced with guided missiles, like those used by the Doctor's Remote.: Overrides Eye of Greed.
- Flat StoneTears bounce off the floor. Tears that hit an enemy after bouncing deal splash damage to all nearby enemies for 25% of Isaac's tear damage.: Golden tear does not bounce.
- Lost ContactEvery tear has a small shield which will allow it to block one enemy projectile.: Golden tears will not block shots.
- The Ludovico TechniqueInstead of firing tears, Isaac controls one floating tear that hover over obstacles. This tear deals constant damage when held in place over an enemy.: Overrides Eye of Greed.
- Mom's KnifeIsaac's tears are replaced by a knife that pierces enemies, can travel through obstacles, and can hurt enemies while Isaac is holding it. Holding down the fire button before firing increases its range and power.: Overrides Eye of Greed.
- TechnologyReplaces tears with a piercing laser with unlimited range.: Overrides Eye of Greed.
- Tech XTears are replaced with laser rings that pierce through enemies and deal damage to enemies within them. Can be charged to increase the size of the ring.: Overrides Eye of Greed.
- 20/20Grants double shot./ The Inner EyeGrants triple shot but decreases tears./ Mutant SpiderGrants quadruple shot but decreases tears.: The additional tears will lessen the amount of times tears need to be fired before a golden tear is fired. Only one golden tear is fired each time.
- Chocolate MilkGrants charged tears that deal greater damage when fully charged.: How much the 20th tear was charged determines the size and damage of the golden tear.
- Compound FractureIncreases range. Tears turn into bones, which shatter into 1-3 bone shards upon hitting an enemy or obstacle.: Golden tears will still look like coins and will still split into other golden coins when hitting obstacles.
- Cursed EyeGrants charged tears that can be fired in a tight burst of four. Getting hit while charging will teleport Isaac into another room.: Each tear fired counts towards the 20 required, so Isaac only has to fire 5 fully charged bursts for a golden tear to appear. Golden tears are not multiplied.
- ExplosivoIsaac's tears have a chance to stick to enemies and explode.: Golden tears have a chance to stick to enemies and grow.
- HaemolacriaTears are now fired in an arc. Upon hitting the floor, an obstacle, or an enemy, they burst into many smaller tears in all directions. Increases tear delay.: Fires giant golden tears with 31% damage increase.
- IpecacReplaces tears with explosive and poisoning projectiles fired in an arc from the mouth.: Will occasionally fire explosive golden tears.
- LachryphagyIsaac's tears decelerate as they travel. Upon stopping or hitting an obstacle, they burst into 8 tears in all directions. Tears can be fired into other tears to feed them, increasing their damage.: Golden tears can also be fed and will burst into split tears. Burst tears are not golden.
- Monstro's LungIncreases damage and grants a charged shot that fires multiple tears in the same fashion as Monstro.: Each tear in the burst counts towards the 20 required. Without other items that increase the number of tears fired, two out of every three bursts will fire a golden tear.
- TrisagionTears are replaced with piercing white blasts of light.: Adds an extra beam with golden tear effects every 20th shot.
PC MPCB QY0C (First Golden Treasure Room)
Switch 6GW8 CG48 (First Golden Treasure Room)