Effect[edit | edit source]
- Once thrown, the Friendly Ball will instantly capture any non-boss enemy it hits, removing them from the room.
- The next time the Friendly Ball is thrown, it will release the previously captured enemy as a friendly enemy.
- Released enemies persist between rooms and floors and will follow Isaac until they die.
- Friendly enemies cannot harm Isaac, and do not need to be defeated to clear a room.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- All enemies that aren't invincible and/or designated as a boss or mini-boss are able to be captured by the friendly ball. This includes enemies summoned from bosses such as Brownie's spawned Dips or The Cage's unique Vises.
- It is generally wasteful to use this item on Mulligans and their variants as they will immediately rush towards enemies and try to kill themselves, leaving behind friendly debris.
- If the captured enemy is a Globin variant (besides Black Globins for their lack of regenerative abilities) or a Dark Red Champion, the enemy will regenerate after dying, granting a much longer lifespan.
- Wall Creeps and their variants stick to walls, backing far away from any potential danger they might encounter.
- Stationary enemies that move underground (such as Round Worms or Lumps) work surprisingly well as an ally as they shoot foes from far away and rarely ever get hurt.
- Mom's Hand and Mom's Dead Hand will both one-shot almost all normal enemies and greatly damage most bosses with an incredibly small window for the hands to be hit, making them ideal for capturing.
- Brimstone-capable enemies are very potent as their lasers can cause an obscene amount of damage to both enemies and most bosses.
- If the captured enemy is one that spawns enemies, those enemies will be friendly as well.
- If the ally is immune to damage (such as a Walking Host while its head is lowered), it will not take contact damage.
- If the captured enemy is a Solid White Champion, it will be completely invincible, as it cannot be killed until the room counts as being cleared, at which point it can be killed by spikes or a Wall Hugger.
- If an enemy that leaves behind a trail of damaging creep is caught, the creep created by the friendly mob will still damage Isaac when he walks over it.
- This was changed in Afterbirth+. All creep created by a friendly enemy will only hurt grounded enemies and not the player.
- The ball will only capture one segment of a Grub, one Buttlicker, or one Swarm Fly. However, when releasing a Swarm Fly, a new swarm is generated for it.
- If a Heart is caught and then released, a Mask can use the friendly heart to live even if its original heart is destroyed. The room will not be cleared unless the Mask is killed.
- The mask will ignore the friendly heart yet can still damage it. Bait the mask to charge towards the heart to destroy both.
- If an Ipecac-capable enemy is caught, the explosive Ipecac shots it fires will not hurt Isaac.
- The head of Rag Man can be captured by the ball while detached. It will not become a Ragling after being released, and only chases enemies by rolling.
Interactions[edit | edit source]
- Car BatteryCauses Isaac's activated item to activate twice on each use.: No effect.
- Hive MindIncreases the size of blue spiders and blue flies and doubles the amount of damage they deal.: No effect on captured flies or spiders.
- SkatoleAll types of fly except Boom Fly and Red Boom Fly become passive and slowly move towards Isaac. Does not prevent contact damage. or Bursting SackSpider enemies no longer target or deal contact damage to Isaac.: Friendly Fly/Spider enemies will be unable able to shoot, slowed down, and/or reverted to a weaker form, hindering this item's effectiveness on those enemies.
In-game Footage[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The item is a reference to Poké Balls from the Pokémon franchise. Ironically, it doesn't at all resemble the actual Friend Ball in the franchise.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Seeds[edit | edit source]
3WOS NSB1 (Treasure room adjacent to spawn)
MF7L HXQV (Treasure room adjacent to spawn) (Hard mode only)
Bugs[edit | edit source]
Bug! Certain monsters will not spawn friendly enemies when defeated:
Bug! Using Glowing Hour GlassWhen used, this item will rewind time, put Isaac back in the previous room, and undo anything that happened in the current room. Any health, pickups, or items gained or lost will be reset back to the previous state. will duplicates friendly enemies upon use. This was fixed in Booster Pack #5.
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
|Achievements||Attributes||Bosses||Cards and Runes||Challenges||Chapters|