Effects[edit | edit source]
- Once thrown, the Friendly Ball will instantly capture any non-boss enemy it hits, removing them from the room.
- The next time the Friendly Ball is thrown, it will release the previously captured enemy as a friendly enemy.
- Released enemies persist between rooms and floors and will follow Isaac until they die.
- Friendly enemies cannot harm Isaac and do not need to be defeated to clear a room.
- If Isaac leaves the room before the monster is released, the monster will stay in the ball until it is thrown again.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- All enemies that aren't invincible and are not designated as a boss or mini-boss can be captured by the Friendly Ball. This includes enemies summoned from bosses such as Brownie's spawned Dips or The Cage's unique Vises.
- It is generally wasteful to use this item on Mulligans and their variants as they will immediately rush towards enemies and try to kill themselves, leaving behind friendly debris.
- If the captured enemy is a Globin variant (besides Black Globins for their lack of regenerative abilities) or a Dark Red Champion, the enemy will regenerate after dying, granting a much longer lifespan.
- Wall Creeps and their variants stick to walls, backing far away from any potential danger they might encounter.
- Stationary enemies that move underground (such as Round Worms or Lumps) work surprisingly well as an ally as they shoot foes from far away and rarely ever get hurt.
- Mom's Hand and Mom's Dead Hand will both one-shot almost all normal enemies and greatly damage most bosses with an incredibly small window for the hands to be hit, making them ideal for capturing.
- Brimstone-capable enemies are very potent as their lasers can cause an obscene amount of damage to both enemies and most bosses.
- If the captured enemy is one that spawns enemies, those enemies will be friendly as well.
- If the ally is immune to damage (such as a Walking Host while its head is lowered), it will not take contact damage.
- If the captured enemy is a Solid White Champion, it will be completely invincible, as it cannot be killed until the room counts as being cleared, at which point it can be killed by spikes or a Wall Hugger.
- If the captured enemy is a Pulsing Red Champion, it will regenerate the health of other monsters in the room, including friendly ones.
- If an enemy that leaves behind a trail of damaging creep is caught, the creep created by the friendly mob will still damage Isaac when he walks over it.
- All creep created by a friendly enemy will only hurt grounded enemies and not the player.
- The ball will only capture one segment of a Grub, one Buttlicker, or one Swarm Fly. However, when releasing a Swarm Fly, a new swarm is generated for it.
- If a Heart is caught and then released, a Mask can use the friendly heart to live even if its original heart is destroyed. The room will not be cleared unless the Mask is killed.
- The mask will ignore the friendly heart yet can still damage it. Bait the mask to charge towards the heart to destroy both.
- If an Ipecac-capable enemy is caught, the explosive Ipecac shots it fires will not hurt Isaac.
- The head of Rag Man can be captured by the ball while detached. It will not become a Ragling after being released, and only chases enemies by rolling.
Interactions[edit | edit source]
- Car Battery: No effect.
- Hive Mind: No effect on captured flies or spiders.
- Skatole or Bursting Sack: Friendly Fly/Spider enemies will be unable able to shoot, slowed down, and/or reverted to a weaker form, hindering this item's effectiveness on those enemies.
In-game Footage[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The item is a reference to Poké Balls from the Pokémon franchise. Ironically, it doesn't at all resemble the actual Friend Ball in the franchise.
Seeds[edit | edit source]
Bugs[edit | edit source]
Bug! Certain monsters will not spawn friendly enemies when defeated:
Bug! Using Glowing Hour Glass will duplicate friendly enemies upon use.
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
|Achievements||Attributes||Bosses||Cards and Runes||Challenges||Chapters|