Gapers are monsters that resemble Isaac but have blood instead of tears, and their skin is paler. Gapers are commonly found in The Basement and Cellar.
Gapers will walk towards Isaac by the most direct route possible. If there is no way to reach Isaac, due to obstacles such as rocks or poop blocking the way, they will stand still until a proper route is created.
Variations[edit | edit source]
Frowning Gaper[edit | edit source]
Frowning Gapers look identical to regular Gapers but have empty eye sockets that appear closed before they get close to Isaac. When awake, they have the same head sprite as Horfs. Frowning Gapers move quicker than Gapers, and the chance for them to turn into Pacers or Gushers is higher.
Flaming Gaper[edit | edit source]
Chance To Replace Gapers And Frowning Gapers In the Burning Basement
Flaming Gapers behave identically to regular Gapers, though they move at a faster pace, though they're not as fast as Frowning Gapers. They appear to be on fire but despite this, they aren't affected by it in any way. They mainly replace most of the regular Gapers in the Burning Basement.
Cyclopia[edit | edit source]
The Cyclopia moves slower than normal Gapers but leaves behind a short-lasting trail of Red Creep and occasionally fires a blood shot towards Isaac.
Gurgle[edit | edit source]
Gurgles are enemies that look identical to Frowning Gapers and are very common in The Catacombs. They are green and have at least quadruple the health of a normal Gaper. When they get near Isaac, they fire an Ipecac shot at him. Killing it has a small chance for it to become a Splasher. These shots will kill other enemies in their Area of Effect, but Gurgles themselves are immune to their own shots.
Like other enemies' explosive projectiles, Gurgles' shots can be used to shatter Rocks or open Secret Rooms by making Gurgles fire at the appropriate area.
Gurgles are somewhat more predictable and accurate in their shots compared to Guts and Walking Guts, because they will always shoot at Isaac's position. However, the timing of their shots is unpredictable. As such, an effective strategy of delivering explosives to a particular area (e.g. tinted rock or potential Secret Room entrance) is to stand still in that position as long as possible before moving to avoid getting touched, to prompt the Gurgles to shoot their projectiles at you.
Null[edit | edit source]
Nulls appear fairly rarely in Chapter 3 and below. They behave similarly to Frowning Gapers, but walk faster and have the ability to phase in and out of visibility.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- In Chapter 3, Nulls are most commonly encountered in a 2x2 room layout, where six of them are encased in the center, unable to chase Isaac. Isaac has to blast away some skulls first to open the path to them. Flight, as well as spectral tears, do very well here, as the player can fly in, drop a bomb, and leave, and the enemies will remain stationary where they were last chasing the player.
- White Champion Nulls may not be able to turn invisible while invincible.
Blue Gaper[edit | edit source]
Greed Gaper[edit | edit source]
Greed Gapers behave similarly to regular Gapers and are spawned during the Ultra Greed boss fight.
2-4 Greed Gapers have a chance to appear in Treasure Rooms, and 2 Greed Gapers may rarely replace the shopkeeper in Shops.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- When the Head of the Keeper is picked up as Keeper, he will look similar to the Greed Gaper.
- The appearance of Cyclopias is reminiscent of the fatal birth defect of the same name, which is characterized by the failure of the embryonic prosencephalon to properly divide the orbit of the eyes into two cavities.
- A Stoney makes the same sound as a Large Champion Gaper.
- Frowning Gapers and Nulls don't make noises until they open their eyes and start chasing the player quicker.
- Greed Gapers are also known as Greedlings, a name given by a card of it from The Binding Of Isaac: Four Souls, although it's seldom referred to as a "Greedling" by players.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
|Achievements||Attributes||Bosses||Cards and Runes||Challenges||Chapters|