|This article is about the objects called chests. For the floor, see The Chest.|
Brown Chests[edit | edit source]
Regular Brown Chests have no requirements to open and can only contain 1-3 pickups excluding coins. Chest contents can include hearts, coins, keys, or bombs. Alternatively, it may contain a trinket, a card, a pill, or another (smaller) Brown/Golden Chest, which can contain either a trinket or an item, respectively.
Golden Chests[edit | edit source]
Golden Chests require a key to open and may contain 2-5 pickups that can include hearts, coins, keys, other chests, or bombs. Alternatively, it may contain a trinket, a card, a pill, an item, or another Brown/Golden Chest. It can contain more than 5 coin pickups. If Isaac has Paper ClipGolden Chests can be opened without using a key., Golden Chests require no key to open.
Red Chests[edit | edit source]
- 2 Troll bombs
- 1 Mega troll bomb
- 2 Spiders
- 1-2 soul hearts
- A red chest pool item
- 1-2 pills
- Teleport to the Devil room or angel room
- 1-3 blue flies
- 1-3 blue spiders
- 1 bone heart
Stone Chests[edit | edit source]
Stone Chests are grey chests that can only be opened by explosions close to them. Stone Chests are most commonly found in challenge rooms, curse rooms, vaults, and Devil rooms. The loot they contain is similar to Golden Chests.
Eternal Chests[edit | edit source]
Eternal Chests are similar in appearance to Gold Chests, except they glow bright blue instead of gold, like a soul heart. They require one key to unlock but can be reopened a random amount of times, each time requiring another key. They can be found in angel rooms, in I AM ERROR rooms and rarely in a normal room. Their loot is similar to Golden Chests, but there is a 25% chance they will drop nothing upon opening. If they contain nothing or an item, they will no longer be able to be reopened.
Spiked Chests[edit | edit source]
Spiked Chests are purple colored chests with spikes protruding from them that will deal damage to Isaac upon opening unless he has Holy MantleAutomatically negates first taken damage in every room. active, which nullifies the damage, or if found in The Chest/ Dark Room, where they are free to open ( Spiked Chests will deal damage normally even in these levels). The Forgotten can open the chest using the melee weapon without taking damage. They can be rarely found upon completing a room or in greed mode shops. Their loot is similar to Brown Chests. Unlike other chests, they do not appear on the minimap.
Mimics[edit | edit source]
Mimics appear similar to Brown Chests until Isaac moves near, at which point they sprout spikes that damage the player as a Spike Chest would. They can be distinguished from Brown Chests by their darker, purplish-brown coloring, the grayish spot on each side of the latch where the spikes will sprout from and the bloodstain.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Consider opening adjacent Red Chests before Stone Chests; Red Chests often contain Troll bombs, which can blast Stone Chests open.
- Stone Chests can also be pushed to any position in the room, which can be used to save bombs by hitting multiple targets with one blast.
- Opening any chest (except for red chests) while on The Chest or Dark Room will spawn an item.
- Chests of all types are considered pickups and will be doubled by the Rune of Jera.
- Empty opened chests may be rerolled into other pickups by using items such as the D20Rerolls all pickups in the current room., but this must be done immediately, as opened chests will disappear upon leaving the room.
- A dice room set to 2, 3, or 6 will also reroll empty chests in the room.
- Whenever a chest contains another chest, the smaller chest may also contain another chest.
- If these smaller chests contain an item, they will appear as tiny items.
- All of the icons for the items in the Golden Chest pool are heads or, as is the case for Bob's BrainSpawns a familiar that charges forward when shooting tears and explodes upon contact with an enemy, damaging and poisoning them. The familiar respawns after a few seconds. and InfamyChance to block projectiles coming from any direction., head-related.
- For unknown reasons, chests can rarely transform into other types of chests upon re-entering a room.
- If a chest contains an item, the opened chest will be considered an empty item pedestal to duplicate using DiplopiaDuplicates all pickups and item pedestals in the room..
- Prior to update v1.06.0182, Mimics looked identical to regular brown chests.
Unlockable achievements[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Mimics share the same name with a recurring Chest enemy that has appeared in Dungeons and Dragons and eventually in various video games. Mimics in the games act as a chest but attempt to catch players off guard and attack them. The Mimics in the Binding of Isaac, although not a living entity, may have mostly been inspired by the Mimic's ability to act like chests and catch players off guard, which explains its nature.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
|Achievements||Attributes||Bosses||Cards and Runes||Challenges||Chapters|