|(page 5, column 16, line 1)
Greed's Gullet is an unlockable passive item added in Afterbirth+.
- Grants an extra heart container for every 25 coins Isaac has, up to a maximum of 4 hearts at 99 coins.
- Dropping below the number of coins required for a heart container removes the heart container.
- A Dollar: The player will instantly gain the max amount of heart containers.
- A Quarter: The player will gain a heart container.
- Counterfeit Penny: Picking up coins will have a 50% chance to give the player an additional coin, making it easier to get extra heart containers with Greed's Gullet.
- Guppy's Paw: Heart containers can be converted to soul hearts. The player can then purposefully lose coins and regain them to get another heart container. This only works if the player converts all heart containers to soul hearts, else the player will still lose a heart container when losing enough coins.
- Head of the Keeper: Allows for easy coin acquisition as enemies are hit.
- Piggy Bank/ Swallowed Penny: Spawns coins whenever Isaac takes damage.
- Wooden Nickel: Spawns coins, speeding up the acquisition of heart containers.
- Eye of Greed: Coins will be lost for every 20th tear fired, risking heart container loss if Isaac has more than 24 coins.
- The extra heart container can exceed the maximum heart container limit of Keeper, allowing him to obtain more than 2 heart containers.
- Depending on the character used, this item only affects red heart containers, soul hearts (???) or health coins (Keeper). It has no effect on The Lost.
- The health container gain is not retroactive - picking it up at 99 coins will not grant 4 extra heart containers.
- However, picking it up at 99 coins and then dropping below 99 coins will lose a heart container, decreasing the feasibility of picking this item up the more coins you have.
- The player will die if they lose their last form of health as a result of Greed's Gullet.
- If Keeper drops to under 2 health coins as a result of Greed's Gullet, or by any other means (devil deal, etc.), he is unable to use a HP Up to increase his health back to 2, and has to regain the lost coins to do so.
- If Greed's Gullet is rerolled away after gaining health, the extra health will be preserved even if the player loses coins afterwards.
- However, if this happens with Keeper, his health will drop back to 2 health coins upon picking up an item, unless another Greed's Gullet is picked up.
- Be careful when buying items from the Shop, as it can remove heart containers.
- Enemies that drain Isaac's coins (such as Keepers, Hangers, Greed, or Super Greed) can remove heart containers.
If Keeper has this item, he is unable to gain health coins by any means except from Greed's Gullet, and must lose the item (such as rerolling it with D4
) to be able to get health ups again.