The Greed Machine appears after every Ultra Greed fight in Greed Mode or Greedier Mode. Upon touching the Greed Machine, Isaac will donate a coin, causing the displayed coin total to increment. This mechanic is unique in that the amount of coins donated will persist between all Greed Mode runs. Donating money to the Greed Machine unlocks achievements and items.
- 1 Notes
- 2 Greed Machine Rewards
- 3 Greed Machine Tricks
- 3.1 Quicker Donating to the Greed Machine
- 3.2 Infinite Money
- 3.3 Notes on farming methods
- 4 Force Quit Method
- 5 Trivia
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The machine can be jammed, like the Donation Machine, when adding coins.
- The jam chances in for each character increase as follows:
|Coins Donated||Jam Chance|
- Each character's overall donation status is tracked separately across all playthroughs, so each character has a separate jam chance.
- The machine has a much lower jam rate in Greedier Mode.
- The jam chance maxes out at 20% regardless of amount donated.
- The amount of coins added will persist across both Greed and Greedier runs.
Greed Machine Rewards[edit | edit source]
Lucky PenniesDonate 1 coin to the Greed Machine Special Hanging ShopkeepersDonate 10 coins to the Greed Machine Wooden NickelDonate 30 coins to the Greed Machine Cain holds PaperclipDonate 68 coins to the Greed Machine Everything is Terrible 2!!!Donate 111 coins to the Greed Machine Special ShopkeepersDonate 234 coins to the Greed Machine Eve now holds Razor BladeDonate 439 coins to the Greed Machine Greedier!Donate 500 coins to the Greed Machine Store KeyDonate 666 coins to the Greed Machine Lost holds Holy MantleDonate 879 coins to the Greed Machine GenerosityDonate 999 coins to the Greed Machine KeeperDonate 1000 coins to the Greed Machine
Greed Machine Tricks[edit | edit source]
- Here are a few ways to drastically shorten the time spent on Greed Mode by allowing the player to donate as many coins as they want in a single run.
Quicker Donating to the Greed Machine[edit | edit source]
This method centers around the fact that the Greed Machine is unjammed every time Ultra Greed is killed but the coin count doesn't reset after the Glowing Hour Glass is used. In order to make this possible you will need some way to recharge your spacebar item, since you will only get one recharge every time you kill Ultra Greed. This is also a very good method to farm as many Eden tokens as you want, as one token will be granted for each Ultra Greed kill.
These tricks can no longer be used, as using Glowing Hour Glass now resets the coin count.
- Buy the Glowing Hour Glass.
- The Glowing Hour Glass is very rare, but it can be found easier by exhausting the shop pool with any of the Infinite Money methods found below.
- It can also be found in golden chests. Buying a D20 and little batteries will help with finding it.
- Since Chaos causes each newly generated item to be chosen from a randomly selected item pool, acquiring it will drastically increase the time spent rerolling items as there is only one item pool in Greed Mode which contains the Glowing Hour Glass.
- The fight with Ultra Greed has to be started with a fully charged Glowing Hour Glass.
From here is where you can start donating infinitely:
- Kill Ultra Greed. If the battle looks like a loss, the Glowing Hour Glass can be used once to reset the fight, but the next time Ultra Greed has to be defeated in order to keep the combo up.
- A double-charged Hour Glass with The Battery allows infinite uses of the Hour Glass, allowing you to reset as much as you want any time.
- Donate money to the Greed Machine until the machine jams.
- Use the Glowing Hour Glass to reset back to the room before Ultra Greed.
Acquiring the Chaos Card[edit | edit source]
The Chaos Card (if unlocked already) will allow player to instantly kill Ultra Greed, cutting a large amount of time otherwise needed to defeat him.
- Keep buying cards from the shop until a Chaos Card shows up.
- Use a Deck of Cards and buy Batteries until you draw a Chaos Card.
- Any Little Batteries and Battery Items will further increase the effectiveness of Deck of Cards.
If the Chaos Card is not available, Midas' Touch works as an alternative, provided you don't have minuscule Health.
Faster alternative method using the 0 - The Fool card[edit | edit source]
- Acquire an infinite Glowing Hour Glass (such as by using The Battery, Habit with any form of self damage, Glitter Bombs, or the 48 Hour Energy pill), but bring The Fool card instead of the Chaos Card.
- Kill Greed once, then run near the bottom of the room to spawn the machine by where the door was, but do NOT donate to the machine.
- Use the fool card, re-enter the boss room, Greed will be dead but the machine will still be there, donate to the machine until it breaks.
- Use glowing hour glass, re-enter room, donate again. Repeat.
Via Smart Fly/Any Chasing Familiar
- Buy any chasing familiar. Smart Fly is most useful due to its increased damage per tick and faster movement speed.
- During the Ultra Greed Fight, send the chasing familiar after Ultra Greed. (Note: you must be hit at least once before Smart Fly is activated.)
- As Ultra Greed begins spawning, kill as little enemies as required to get Ultra Greed to stay in his defensive stance. The goal here is to get Ultra Greed into his defensive stance while your chasing familiar attacks him. As soon as this is achieved, run around to avoid killing/being killed by the remaining mobs.
- Continue to avoid attacking monsters until your familiar kills Ultra Greed.
- Repeat if monsters are killed by accident and Ultra Greed breaks out of his defensive stance.
- Testing reveals the lowest number of monsters to be around 5 or 6.
Infinite Money[edit | edit source]
Via the 2 of Diamonds[edit | edit source]
- Acquire a 2 of Diamonds card and the Blank Card (which must be unlocked first).
- Find a Little Battery for sale. At least 11 Coins are needed to exploit the 2 of Diamonds card.
- Use the Blank Card to double your money then buy the Little Battery to recharge the Blank Card. Restock will cause the Little Battery to constantly be restock in the store. This allows Isaac to generate an infinite amount of money.
- Rune of Jera can likewise be exploited in the same manner with coins on the ground, and can duplicate batteries in the shop for ease of exploitation.
This method can be used to quickly gain the Chaos Card as well:
- Use a Deck of Cards and buy Batteries until you draw a Chaos Card.
- Make sure your Coin count does not drop below 11 while doing this!
Via Head of the Keeper[edit | edit source]
- Acquire the Head of the Keeper and some enemy spawning Monster(s) (like Ulcer) alive.
- Keep killing spawned monsters until the total amount of desired coins has been spawned from your coin tears.
- However Head of the Keeper will make the fight against Ultra Greed more difficult by constantly producing coins next to him, allowing him to recover some HP regularly.
- Also, your tears will blend in with all the coins Ultra Greed produced, making it difficult to know who is shooting whom.
Via Glitter Bombs and any form of infinite bombs[edit | edit source]
- Acquire Glitter Bombs.
- Acquire Gold Bomb / No. 2 / Dr. Fetus / Epic Fetus.
- Spam bombs/Attack with Dr. Fetus / Epic Fetus.
Via the D20[edit | edit source]
This is an easy way, since the D20 is quite common in the greed shop pool.
- Buy the D20.
- Kill an entire floor without picking up money.
- Restock the shop until a Little Battery is present.
- Reroll the money. (Don't touch anything yet.)
- Buy the Little Battery.
- Open all the chests.
- If you don't already have at least 5 cents, pick up coins until you have at least 5 cents.
- Reroll and repeat the process.
Via Swallowed Penny or Piggy Bank[edit | edit source]
- Acquire the Swallowed Penny or Piggy Bank.
- Acquire any method to regenerate health: Pyromaniac with sufficient/infinite bombs (with sufficient bombs, there's high probability you'll manage to find any number of combos to continue anyway), Bloody Penny, Scapular, Habit with any number of consumable-spawning items, etc.
- Alternatively, acquire Humbling Bundle, which makes you drop more coins than it costs to heal, or Maggy's Bow, which would heal you for more.
- Take damage, collect coins and health, repeat as required.
- Be careful not to get damage-prevention effects when doing this: Holy Mantle prevents the sacrifice room from damaging you for this purpose, Mom transformations has a tendency to destroy fires if you aren't careful, Pyromaniac prevents you from using bombs for self damage, Flying prevents you from taking damage from spikes, Holy water can destroy soul fires, etc.
Via IV Bag[edit | edit source]
- Manage to start the game with Eden holding IV Bag
- Have at least 2 heart containers
- Keep using the IV Bag and filling hearts from the market. The price of hearts is 3 cents and usually the IV Bag gives you 1 or 2 cents per half a heart. Though part of this depends on luck(literally), in the long run you will be able to get a margin since the IV Bag gives you nickels or dimes time by time.
- Use the margin to purchase collectible items or trinkets.
- PHD, Swallowed Penny, Counterfeit Penny, Bloody Penny will guarantee success on this method and cut down the effort considerably.
- Placenta can be used as an emergency option.
- If there is the Little Battery in the market you will be able to produce all the trinkets once you encounter Mom's Box
Notes on farming methods[edit | edit source]
- Avoid the following items whenever possible:
- DO NOT get Missing No.. It will cause you to reroll your items and ruin the entire strategy.
- DO NOT get the Little Baggy at all, as it will replace your Two of Diamonds and/or chaos card.
- Chaos: Will make it a lot harder (nearly impossible) to find Glowing Hour Glass, it's best to find it before picking up Chaos.
- Marked: Will force you to shoot tears, which with too many items may result in the game repeatedly crashing, not allowing you to continue.
- ? Card: If used with the Blank Card, you will get teleported to the I AM ERROR room, and lose both ? Card and Blank Card in the process. If used on the Ultra Greed floor, an I AM ERROR shopkeeper will spawn instead.
- Resetting the Ultra Greed fight many times may cause a bug that strips you of all your items. When this happens, close the program via Task Manager. DO NOT use the Hour Glass or exit the game normally. If you do, the game will save your progress and you will be permanently stripped of your items.
- Be extremely careful when the giant chest spawns, since accidentally touching it (either by walking into it being knocked into it by an explosive blast) will immediately end your run.
- Spread your runs out across multiple characters
- Since the greed machine's chance of jamming is character specific it's a good idea to play multiple characters to decrease the chance of the greed machine jamming. If you're having a hard time with the above methods or just don't want to do them, switch characters when you notice the greed machine starts jamming regularly on you. Excluding The Lost and the Keeper, if you are able to average donating 50 coins a run to the greed machine, only doing two wins a character, you should be done in 20 wins.
Force Quit Method[edit | edit source]
THIS METHOD NO LONGER WORKS
The Force Quit method is an easy way to fill up the greed machine. It follows the same exploit as the Donation Machine. The game saves the Greed and Donation Machine data separately from your main save file; the Machine data is only changed and saved AFTER you leave the room. Requisite is any item or card that allows you to teleport outside the boss room. There is no need for Glowing Hour Glass, Blank Card, or ? Card for this method as you can reset your items and keep the coin count going higher.
- Defeat Ultra Greed(ier).
- After the Greed Machine appears, exit to the start menu normally to save your game.
- Continue the game.
- Donate money until machine jams or you run out of coins.
- Teleport outside the room. Now the game will save the change in coins only.
- Force quit the game
- Windows: Alt-F4
- OS X: Force Quit
- Linux: Ctrl+Alt+Esc (may depend on desktop environment)
- Consoles: home button and then quit app
- Nintendo Switch: eject and reinsert the cartridge
- Restart and continue the game. Your save game from the 2nd step will be restored. It should look the same as before: Greed Machine is unjammed and your teleport item / card is still there...EXCEPT the starting coin count on the Greed Machine is now higher.
- Donate money. Teleport. Force Quit. Repeat.
- Note: The Force Quit Method has been patched. The Greed Machine will no longer be there when you return to the game after force quitting, neither will the item/card, which you used to teleport with.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Greed Machine could initially only hold a maximum of 109 coins, blowing up whenever another coin was inserted. However, this was changed with an update when Keeper was revealed.
- The exact number, 109, is a reference to how dataminers found the secret of The Lost within 109 hours of Rebirth's release.
|Greed Machine Unlocks|
||-||Lucky Pennies||Unlocked a new item.||Donate 1 coin to the Greed Machine||242|
|Special Hanging Shopkeepers||Unlocked a secret.||Donate 10 coins to the Greed Machine||243|
|Wooden Nickel||Unlocked a new item.||Donate 30 coins to the Greed Machine||244|
|Cain holds Paperclip||Unlocked a new starting item.||Donate 68 coins to the Greed Machine||245|
|Everything is Terrible 2!!!||Greed just got harder!||Donate 111 coins to the Greed Machine||246|
|Special Shopkeepers||Unlocked a secret.||Donate 234 coins to the Greed Machine||247|
|Eve now holds Razor Blade||Unlocked a new starting item.||Donate 439 coins to the Greed Machine||248|
|Store Key||Unlocked a new item.||Donate 666 coins to the Greed Machine||249|
|Lost holds Holy Mantle||Unlocked a new starting item.||Donate 879 coins to the Greed Machine||250|
|Keeper||Unlocked a new character.||Donate 1000 coins to the Greed Machine||251|
|Generosity||If only everyone was as generous as you are...||Donate 999 coins to the Greed Machine||275|
||-||Greedier!||New mode unlocked!||Donate 500 coins to the Greed Machine||341|
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
|Achievements||Attributes||Bosses||Cards and Runes||Challenges||Chapters|