Greed mode is a game mode introduced in The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
In Greed mode, each floor has a Curse Room, a Devil Room/Angel Room, a double-wide Shop, and an exit room all connected to a main double-height arena room with a button in the center. A Super Secret Room is also connected to one of the rooms. Up until the penultimate floor, an already unlocked 2 Treasure Room with a silver door frame and a normal locked Treasure Room are also available. The silver Treasure Room always gives items from the Boss pool. The sixth floor (The Shop) does not have any Treasure Rooms but does have the Shop and Curse Rooms. The final seventh floor has no waves and contains only three rooms, the largest of which contains the game mode's final boss.
When playing Greed Mode, a yellow coin () will appear on the HUD, below the consumables.
Shop[edit | edit source]
As there are no normal drops in Greed mode, the Shop becomes Isaac's primary source of items and pickups. Shops in Greed mode automatically restock. The items for sale are a Key, a heart pickup, a Shop item, a Boss item, and two random pickups, trinkets, or items from the Treasure Room pool.
Arena[edit | edit source]
When the button is pressed, it turns red, grows spikes, and a timer appears underneath it. All doors are barred and waves of random enemies start spawning. The timer initially starts with 6 seconds left and will be increased by 1 second for every subsequent wave of enemies. Once the timer runs out or all enemies in the current wave are killed, another wave spawns. This continues until wave 8 is reached, Isaac dies, or Isaac presses the red button. Pressing the red button deals half a heart of damage to Isaac and causes waves to stop spawning, and once all remaining enemies are killed, the doors re-open. The button can then be re-activated to continue progressing through the waves. As The Lost, there is a coin penalty for hitting the button before the wave is completed of 1 Penny.
At the start of each wave (except the nightmare boss wave), Pennies are dropped on the ground, which Isaac can use in the Shop to purchase items and pickups. Each new wave counts as a new 'room' for purposes of item charges, familiars dropping items or the like. However, one-room temporary effects, such as The Book of Belial, will remain across waves.
2 and occasionally 3 Pennies will drop for each of the first 8 waves. Upon completing the eighth wave, a skull appears on the button. Pushing the skull button starts the two boss waves, which grants access to the floor's exit room upon completion. A total of 9 Pennies will drop for these boss waves. Each boss wave will spawn one boss/mini-boss.
Upon completing the tenth wave of the floor, a pentagram appears on the button. Pushing the pentagram button starts the optional nightmare boss wave, which grants access to the Devil/Angel Room when completed. Each nightmare boss wave can spawn multiple bosses/mini-bosses at once. No Pennies are dropped during the nightmare wave.
Items that activate upon entering a new room will not activate when a new wave starts, making many items far less useful or outright useless.
For the first 8 waves, the clock will start at a set time and then increase by 1 second for subsequent waves. For The Basement and The Caves, the clock starts at 6 seconds. For The Depths, the clock starts at 5 seconds. For The Womb, the clock starts at 4 seconds. For Sheol and The Shop, the clock starts back at 6 seconds again. The first boss wave is set at 30 seconds on all floors.
Floors[edit | edit source]
Greed mode has seven total floors, five of which are based on floors found in the main game. These floors are The Basement, The Caves, The Depths, The Womb, Sheol, a unique floor called The Shop, and the final boss floor. Each floor will spawn enemies and bosses native to that floor in the main game, except for The Shop, which has no counterpart outside of Greed mode. Instead, The Shop spawns mostly Greed enemies, but can also spawn enemies from any floor. The Shop is the only normal floor which does not contain Treasure Rooms.
Ultra Greed[edit | edit source]
The Ultra Greed floor contains only three rooms: An empty starting room, a Mini-Boss Room in which multiple Greeds, Super Greed, Wrath or Monstro will spawn, and the final Boss Room containing Ultra Greed. After Ultra Greed has been defeated, turning him into a golden statue, a Final Boss Chest to end the level and the Greed Donation Machine will spawn. Isaac is given the chance to donate his remaining money to the Greed Machine, which will unlock several rewards including the Keeper character.
Greedier Mode [edit | edit source]
Greedier mode is a harder version of Greed mode. In Greedier mode, fewer coins drop, enemies can become champions (although they won't drop any pickups), and Ultra Greed has a second form, Ultra Greedier.
Greedier mode starts with 9 waves when the button is first pressed instead of 8. 1 and occasionally 2 pennies will drop for each of the first 9 waves. The boss waves remain at 2. A total of 10 coins will drop for these boss waves. The nightmare boss wave remains at 1 and no coins will drop.
For the first 9 waves, the clock will start at a set time and then increase by 1 second for subsequent waves. For The Basement, the clock starts at 8 seconds. For The Caves, the clock starts at 6 seconds. For The Depths, the clock starts at 4 seconds. For The Womb, the clock starts at 3 seconds. For Sheol and The Shop, the clock starts at 2 seconds. The first boss wave is set at 14 seconds on all floors.
Greedier mode unlockables are separate from Greed mode unlockables; however, as of Booster Pack #5, completing Greedier Mode with a character will unlock the corresponding Greed mode unlockable.
When playing Greedier mode, a small, red stained coin () will appear on the HUD, below the consumables.
Donate 500 coins to the Greed Donation Machine to unlock it.
Unlockable Achievements[edit | edit source]
Greed Mode[edit | edit source]
Greedier Mode[edit | edit source]
Completing Greedier Mode with a character will unlock the corresponding Greed Mode unlockable if it hasn't been unlocked.
Greed Machine[edit | edit source]
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Completing all waves without pressing the stop button will maximize the total possible amount of coins.
- Flight will not prevent damage from the spiked stop button unless the player is The Lost.
- However, a Penny is deducted from the next round of rewards if the button is pressed as The Lost.
- Items with effects that only persist in the room are especially useful in Greed mode. Complete all waves in one go to maximize their efficiency. Examples of such items include Box of Friends, The Book of Belial, Lusty Blood, The Pinking Shears, and Scissors.
- Being teleported by the Curse of the Maze can open the exit door without needing to complete the floor, allowing large portions of a run to be skipped.
- Only a half heart of damage is taken in floors beyond chapter 3, a feature unique to Greed mode.
- Killing all the enemies before the timer resets doesn't increase the number of coins produced.
- The dead shop keepers have a very low chance of dropping Steam Sale when bombed.
- There are methods of achieving infinite coins/items. Although difficult to coordinate, and sometimes heavily reliant on luck, these methods can practically guarantee a successful run. These strategies can be combined with Chaos to allow stronger items to be obtained more easily.
- Method #1: Requires a 2 of Diamonds card, the Blank Card, a Shop selling Lil' Batteries, and enough coins to buy one. This allows infinite coin count doubling with no drawback.
- Method #2: Requires a Jera rune, the Blank Card, a Shop selling Lil' Batteries, and enough coins to buy one. Similar to the first method, but instead of doubling Isaac's currently held coins, this method allows for infinite duplication of Pennies dropped during waves.
- Method #3: Use Diplopia or the Crooked Penny on a Steam Sale. This will allow Isaac to take as many items as desired for free.
- The D20 can be used in tandem with Lil' Batteries to re-roll all Pennies dropped during combat, some of which will become Grab Bags or chests. The process can then be repeated indefinitely.
- As the D20 re-rolls all opened chests into pickups, chests should not be opened unless the D20 is fully charged.
- In Greedier mode, upon defeating Ultra Greedier, all poops, whether destroyed, damaged or intact, will be converted into golden poops.
- As a result, A Card Against Humanity can be used to guarantee a large source of coins for the Greed Donation Machine.
- Common display resolutions, such as 1920x1080 with aspect ratio 16:9, will show only part of the arena in fullscreen mode. Switching to windowed mode and then resizing the window makes it possible to keep an eye on the entire arena while playing.
Helpful Items[edit | edit source]
- As mentioned above, all items that grant a temporary buff or benefit that expire once Isaac leaves the room are extremely powerful in Greed mode, as these effects can last an entire floor's worth of waves, and some can be stacked.
- Betrayal: Charms every enemy when hit, allowing an entire wave to be cleared at the cost of one hit.
- Book of the Dead: Spawns bone orbitals or charmed Bonies when there are killed enemies in a room. Making this item especially useful after the first 8 rounds and before the boss rounds.
- Dad's Key: Essentially allows Isaac to enter the Treasure and Secret Rooms for free.
- Dad's Ring: Petrifies enemies that are close to Isaac and stops enemies from surrounding Isaac with no reprieve.
- Jaw Bone: Familiar that will retrieve pickups for Isaac.
- Red Candle: Filling the room with flames before pushing the button will quickly kill all enemies and bosses.
- Wooden Nickel: Allows Isaac to easily gain a lot more money very quickly, as it can be used once per wave.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Ultra Greed’s theme, named “Chorus Mortus”, is a remix of the main menu theme.
- During Greedier mode beating Ultra Greedier with poop in the room turns it into golden poop.
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
|Achievements||Attributes||Bosses||Cards and Runes||Challenges||Chapters|