|This article is about the pickup. For other uses, see Heart (disambiguation).|
|Heart||Image||Worth||Additional Info||Unlocked By|
|Red Heart||Heals with Maggy's Bow.
Humbling Bundle and Equality!Turns pickups into their doubled versions while Isaac's numbers of coins, bombs, and keys are equal. can replace this with a 1+1 Free Heart.
|Half Red Heart||Heals with Maggy's Bow.|
|1+1 Free Heart||Doesn't spawn naturally. Can only be found by using certain items or encountering certain rooms.
Heals with Maggy's Bow.
|Scared Heart||Identical to the standard Red Heart, but will run away as the player moves towards it.
Heals with Maggy's Bow.
Humbling Bundle and Equality!Turns pickups into their doubled versions while Isaac's numbers of coins, bombs, and keys are equal. will not double this.
|Soul Heart||Soul Hearts are blue hearts that are added to the end of the health bar. Soul Hearts are not permanent; once lost, they cannot be replenished, although new ones may be added.
Soul Hearts will be depleted before Red Hearts in most cases. However, donating to a Blood Donation Machine or a Devil Beggar will deplete Red Hearts first as long as you have more than half a Red Heart (a full heart in the Womb and beyond). Holding the Crow HeartRed heart damage will be taken before soul and black heart damage. trinket will also deplete Red Hearts before Soul Hearts.
|Half Soul Heart|| Reset 7 times in a row|
|Blended Heart||//||Fills up a full red Heart Container, but will act as a Soul Heart when no Containers are free. If Isaac is only missing half a Red Heart, it will fill that half, and give him half a soul heart as well.
Dark Bum and The Jar will not collect this.
|Black Heart||When fully lost, it will damage all enemies in the room for 40 damage, similar to The Necronomicon's effect. Acts like a Soul Heart otherwise.|
|Eternal Heart||When held until the next floor, Eternal Hearts will grant Isaac a heart container. They will also give a heart container if two are collected on the same floor. Eternal hearts are placed in the second half of the last heart container, even when it is full (the Eternal Heart will overlap with the Red Heart in this case).|
|Gold Heart||Gold Hearts do not actually add more health, instead forming an outline around the last heart in Isaac's health bar. When that heart is depleted, the Gold Heart will break and a few coins will be dropped around Isaac.
In Booster Pack #5, Gold Hearts now flash when depleted and will temporarily turn enemies golden like Midas' Touch.
|Complete challenge #21Gold Heart|
|Bone Heart||Takes three hits to deplete and can be refilled with red hearts, but disappears permanently upon depleting.||It's complicatedBone Heart|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- More details on these pickups and how they work can be found here.
- Eternal Hearts take half a heart of damage without counting as a hit for the devil/angel room to spawn.
- Unless an item effect specifically states it, a red heart always has the chance to be replaced by a Soul, Black, or Eternal heart.
- Red heart pickups created by item, card, or pill effects can be forced to be spawned as Black or Eternal hearts instead by using the item, card, or pill in a relevant Super Secret Room.
- If Isaac's health bar is filled with soul hearts, picking up a black heart will replace the topmost soul heart.
- If Isaac's health bar is filled up to 11 1/2 (Soul/Black) hearts with the last one being half a Black Heart, picking up a Black Heart will fill that one and convert a full Soul Heart to a Black Heart (therefore adding half a Black Heart and converting a Soul Heart).
- If Isaac's topmost heart is a half Soul Heart, collecting a Black Heart will complete it into a whole soul heart, and add half a Black heart.
- Collecting a Soul Heart with half a Black Heart left will complete the Black Heart, and add half a Soul Heart. The reverse is also true.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- There are unused graphics for Half Soul Hearts and Half Black Hearts that are never seen ingame.
- Half Soul Hearts were eventually added to the game as an unlockable in Afterbirth+.
- Booster Pack #5 made Scared Hearts beat faster, making them slightly easier to spot. This was from this Steam Workshop mod by piber20.
- Gold Hearts' appearance was changed in Booster Pack #5.
- Most items that grant Black Hearts upon being picked up say "evil up" in their description.
Unlockable Achievements[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
|Achievements||Attributes||Bosses||Cards and Runes||Challenges||Chapters|