|(page 5, column 9, line 1)
Jacob's Ladder is a passive item added in Afterbirth †.
- Tears fire 1-2 sparks of electricity in random directions upon hitting an obstacle or enemy.
- Sparks deal half of Isaac's tear damage.
- Sparks behave like spectral homing lasers and will arc to hit enemies that are close enough, even striking multiple ones in a row.
- Tears that hit the floor due to running out of range do not generate arcs.
- 20/20Grants double shot./ The Inner EyeGrants triple shot but decreases tears./ Mutant SpiderGrants quadruple shot but decreases tears.: All tears spawn sparks.
- Compound FractureIncreases range. Tears turn into bones, which shatter into 1-3 bone shards upon hitting an enemy or obstacle./ Cricket's BodyGrants -1 Tear Delay and reduces Range. When tears hit an object or deplete their range, they spawn 4 smaller tears, whose Range and Damage scale with Isaac's./ The ParasiteIsaac's tears split in two when they hit something.: Additional tears caused by Cricket's Body also create arcs of electricity. The Parasite and Compound Fracture tears have to hit enemies or obstacles to cause sparks.
- Fate's RewardA blue head familiar that will follow Isaac and fire tears copying his tear effects and damage./ IncubusA demonic familiar that follows Isaac and shoots tears identical to Isaac's in terms of damage, range, fire rate, and effects.: Will also fire tears that can spawn sparks.
- Fire MindGrants flaming tears that deal burning damage over time. Tears have a chance to explode on impact with an enemy, which creates a fire at the location of the explosion.: Sparks can set enemies on fire but won't explode.
- Homing tears: Enemies are more likely to be hit by both sparks and tears.
- IpecacReplaces tears with explosive and poisoning projectiles fired in an arc from the mouth.: Electric arcs happen normally and sparks' damage is massively increased.
- LachryphagyIsaac's tears decelerate as they travel. Upon stopping or hitting an obstacle, they burst into 8 tears in all directions. Tears can be fired into other tears to feed them, increasing their damage.: Main tears and burst tears can spawn sparks.
- Lead PencilAfter every 15 tears fired, Isaac will fire a high-damage cluster of tears./ Monstro's LungIncreases damage and grants a charged shot that fires multiple tears in the same fashion as Monstro.: All tears trigger the effects, dealing heavy damage to all enemies in range as long as tears reach a wall, obstacle, or enemy.
- Lost ContactEvery tear has a small shield which will allow it to block one enemy projectile.: Tears block enemy shots as normal and will then generate arcs of electricity where the shot was blocked.
- The Ludovico TechniqueInstead of firing tears, Isaac controls one floating tear that hover over obstacles. This tear deals constant damage when held in place over an enemy.: The Ludovico tear spawns a large number of sparks when in contact with an enemy.
- A Lump of CoalThe more distance tears travel, the more damage they will do.: Sparks will gain damage based on how far tear has travelled. They will not increase in size and there are no cosmetic changes.
- Mom's PerfumeAdds a chance to shoot fear tears and decreases tear delay by 1.: Sparks caused by a perfume shot that arc to other enemies have a chance to cause the fear effect.
- Pop!Replaces Isaac's tears with eyeballs that can bounce off of each other. The eyeballs are not limited by range, and will instead dissipate when they stop moving or when hitting an enemy or obstacle.: Eyeball tears can spawn sparks.
- Serpent's KissTears now have a random chance to apply a poison effect, causing 4 or 6 damage per tick to enemies (Similar to The Common Cold item). Isaac now deals poison damage on contact with enemies similar to The Virus item (Damage over time 4 or 6 per tick). Enemies that were poisoned have a chance to drop a black heart when killed.: Sparks sometimes poison enemies and generate black hearts.
- SprinklerUpon use, spawns a sprinkler that rotates and fires tears.: Will fire tears that can spawn sparks.
- Spectral tears: The tears continuously spawn sparks while passing through obstacles.
- Technology ZeroConnects Isaac's tears with electricity that can damage enemies.: Both effects happening simultaneously creates lots of electricity.
- Azazel/ BrimstoneTears are replaced by a laser beam that pierces through all enemies and obstacles in its path and deals high damage. Can only be fired after a short charge-up period.: Overrides Jacob's Ladder.
- Cain's Other EyeSpawns a familiar that floats slowly around the room on a zig-zag pattern similar to The Peeper and shoots normal tears in the same direction as Isaac.: Tears fired from familiar will not be able to spawn sparks.
- Continuum+2.25 Range Up. +1.5 Tear Height. Isaac's tears travel through walls and appear out of the opposite wall. Isaac's tears also travel over rocks and objects./ Tiny PlanetRange up and makes shot tears revolve around Isaac until they drop.: Tears will only spawn sparks when hitting obstacles or enemies but not walls.
- Dr. FetusTears are replaced by bombs that benefit from bomb-enhancing effects and slide a fixed range after being fired./ Epic FetusIsaac's tears are replaced with guided missiles, like those used by the Doctor's Remote.: Overrides Jacob's Ladder. Bombs do not generate sparks of electricity.
- Evil EyeWhile firing tears, Isaac has a chance to fire an eye across the screen with a very slow shot speed, which will fire tears of its own in the same direction as Isaac. The eye will be destroyed if it comes into contact with an enemy or obstacle./ Multidimensional BabySpawns a familiar that will follow Isaac's movements on a 2.5 second delay. Tears that pass through the baby will be doubled and increase in speed.: Sparks created by Evil Eye's tears will hurt Isaac.
- HaemolacriaTears are now fired in an arc. Upon hitting the floor, an obstacle, or an enemy, they burst into many smaller tears in all directions. Increases tear delay.: Only main tear can spawn sparks.
- Kidney StoneRandomly while firing tears, Isaac will stop firing and turn red, where he will charge and release a lot of 'tears' in one go. In the burst of tears is a kidney stone which deals a lot of damage.: The tear barrage will spawn sparks when hitting walls, obstacles, or enemies. The, stone however, will only spawn sparks when hitting enemies.
- Mom's KnifeIsaac's tears are replaced by a knife that pierces enemies, can travel through obstacles, and can hurt enemies while Isaac is holding it. Holding down the fire button before firing increases its range and power.: Overrides Jacob's Ladder.
- ProptosisTears start out massive with high damage, and then shrink down and become weaker over a short range.: Sparks will decrease in damage based on how much damage the tear has lost.
- Rubber CementTears bounce off walls, enemies, and environmental objects.: Tears will only spawn sparks when hitting enemies.
- Soy MilkTears shrink and do much less damage, but fire in very rapid succession.: Spawns sparks of electricity rapidly, but the sparks will deal very little damage.
- Spectral Tears: Spectral tears make Jacob's Ladder spawn electricity for every obstacle the tears go through. Electricity does not spawn when tears go through room walls.
- TechnologyReplaces tears with a piercing laser with unlimited range.: Overrides Jacob's Ladder.
- Tech XTears are replaced with laser rings that pierce through enemies and deal damage to enemies within them. Can be charged to increase the size of the ring.: Overrides Jacob's Ladder.
- TrisagionTears are replaced with piercing white blasts of light.: Only spawns sparks when hitting obstacles.
- This item refers to high voltage traveling arcs, which are colloquially known as Jacob's ladders. It creates a small electric arc rising between two metal rods, as the item graphic represents.
- The name is a reference to The Book of Genesis from the Old Testament. In Genesis 28:10-19 Jacob rests on his journey and has a dream; in the dream he sees a ladder which serves as the connection between Heaven and Earth.
When using The Forgotten
's melee attack with both Jacob's Ladder and Haemolacria
, the sparks caused by splattered tears will hurt the player. This does not apply to other tear scattering items.
PC JWG4 24V3 (First floor treasure room)
PC 9ZCZ 9YBG (First floor treasure room)
Switch RB16 V4HQ (First floor treasure room)