||This article is about the playable character. For the monster, see Hanger.
Keeper is a secret character added in The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth DLC.
Keeper is unlocked by donating 1000 coins to the Greed Machine. Keeper starts with triple shot and 1 bomb.
- Keeper starts with Wooden NickelWhen used, has a 50% chance to drop one random type of coin (penny, nickel, or dime). after defeating Isaac (Boss) with Keeper.
- Keeper will start with 1 coin pickup after defeating Hush with Keeper.
- Keeper will start with Store KeyAutomatically opens all Shops. after defeating Satan with Keeper.
Unlike other characters, Keeper uses coins as health. He starts with two health coins, loses one every time he is damaged, and heals for one coin every time he picks up a coin.
All types of hearts are transformed into Blue Flies, and Keeper cannot have more than two health coins. If Keeper falls to one health coin (Devil deal, Health Down,..), any HP Up will increase his health back to two health coins.
- Half red hearts are transformed into 1 blue fly, full red hearts are transformed into 2 blue flies, soul hearts are transformed into 3 blue flies, black hearts and bone hearts are transformed into 4 blue flies, and eternal hearts are transformed into 5 blue flies.
- Every time Keeper uses a coin to heal himself, that coin is consumed and isn't added to his current coin amount.
- Using a Nickel to refill health gives Keeper 4 coins.
- Using a Dime to refill health gives Keeper 9 coins.
- 2 of DiamondsDoubles your coins. If you have no coins, gives you 2 instead. can refill Keeper's health at the cost of 1 coin.
- Counterfeit PennyGives a 50% chance of increasing the value of every coin pickup by one. allows Keeper to obtain the full value of a coin while healing.
- Picking up A QuarterAdds 25 to Isaac's coin count, capping at 99. with Keeper will heal him. Using it to refill health gives Keeper 24 coins.
- Keeper's coin hearts count as red hearts, so all damage taken on a floor will directly decrease the chance for a Devil/Angel Room to open.
- If Keeper only has one health coin, using XI - StrengthUpon use, increases all of Isaac's stats except tears and adds one (temporary) heart container for the current room. will give Keeper an additional health coin that does not disappear upon leaving the room.
- Blood Donation Machines give Keeper 1 or 2 coins per use.
- The coin(s) can be nickels or even dimes.
- The Blood Donation Machine can still pay out with Child's HeartIncreases the chance of a Heart dropping after clearing a room, and the chance of finding a Heart when opening a Chest. and no coins.
- IV BagUpon activation, Isaac loses a half-heart (one whole heart in The Womb onwards) for a random amount of coins, similar to the blood donation machine. gives Keeper 0 or 1 coins per use.
- Picking up Dead CatSets the amount of red heart containers to 1, but gives Isaac 9 extra lives. After dying, Isaac is teleported to the last safe room. New heart containers can be obtained after picking up this item, but after each death, the number of heart containers is set to 1 again. will reduce Keeper's health to 1 coin.
- Dying with Guppy's CollarGrants Isaac a permanent 50% chance to respawn with 1/2 of a red heart after death. and being revived with it makes Keeper's health 1 coin.
- Despite having an innate triple shot, Keeper does not actually start with The Inner EyeGrants triple shot but decreases tears.. Because of this, the item has a chance to appear in Treasure Rooms. Picking it up causes Keeper to fire six shots at once, at a slower firing rate.
- Due to its 2 health coin limit, Keeper can easily die to fast shooting enemies, and Devil Deals costing 2 Red Hearts will kill him. As all hearts turn into flies, Soul/Black Hearts cannot be found to protect Keeper's health.
- Keeper can take a 2 heart Devil Deal by spawning in a co-op baby, taking the devil deal, then quickly getting rid of the co-op baby, which will leave Keeper with one health coin.
- Leaving a few coins on the ground when clearing a floor makes Keeper able to heal himself in the case where he would take a hit from an enemy.
- Try to bomb as many urns as possible during Chapter 1; Swallowed PennyUpon taking damage, Isaac drops a penny. can drop from urns, which is amazing as Keeper (see Good Items).
- In Greed Mode, as coins spawn during waves, Keeper can easily heal himself during each wave by leaving some coins on the ground, even if this will decrease the amount of coins he will be able to collect and spend in the Shop. Ultra Greed attacks make the player lose coins when damaged, which means that Keeper can heal himself as long as he possesses coins.
- It is possible to take a 2 Red Heart Devil Deal by using Judas' TongueItems in the Devil Room only cost 1 heart. Soul heart trades still cost 3 Soul hearts., a Health Up Pill or XI - StrengthUpon use, increases all of Isaac's stats except tears and adds one (temporary) heart container for the current room. right after paying for the item. This would leave Keeper at 1 health coin (empty if it was recovered using the pill, but he will not be killed), which is quite risky as he would be one hit away from death. However, if the boss item is a normally-useless HP up ( Stem CellsAdds one filled heart container and increases Shot Speed., A SnackGrants one full red heart container., etc.) it can make even a 2-heart Devil Deal effectively free if you possess a Strength Card and take the boss item after leaving the Devil Room.
- As Keeper starts with triple shot, his tear rate is quite low, and this can be troublesome against fast enemies or too many enemies. Finding Tears Up items/Pills in the early floors will be really useful to clear rooms. Items/trinkets increasing the tears hitbox are also useful as enemies can be hit by two or three tears more easily.
- Curse Rooms are very risky to enter as Keeper. Entering it through the door will leave you at one Health, which means if you don't find any coins there, it will end your run. Even with the Wooden NickelWhen used, has a 50% chance to drop one random type of coin (penny, nickel, or dime). unlocked, it's not guaranteed that you will leave the Curse Room alive. In addition, pills should be used outside of the Curse Room because using an "Addicted!" pill will kill you when you try to leave the room.
- However, it is possible to enter the Curse Room and remain on full health. This is achieved with a coin in the room right next to the Curse Room's door, most easily achieved with Wooden Nickel. The player can then walk into the Curse Room doorframe to take damage, quickly pick up the coin and heal, then walk through the door into the Curse Room while invincibility is still active.
- Pills can be risky to use as the Keeper since many have adverse effects and these adverse effects can quickly ruin a run should they happen. Picking up PHDConverts all bad pills into good pills, spawns one pill pickup and restores health. Identifies all pills upon pickup. is recommended before trying any pills.
- The Hematemasis pill will reduce your health, but in exchange, spawn many flies.
- Hold onto your JokerTeleports you to the Devil Room or Angel Room. cards: you will probably be given an item that increases health at some point in your run, before taking it use your Joker to see if any one heart devil deals are available.
- Keeper's health coins count as Red Hearts for the purposes of a devil/angel door appearing at all, making Joker Cards or Goat HeadA Devil Room / Angel Room Door will always spawn after every boss fight, excluding the first floor and floors after Utero II/Womb II. invaluable in getting into devil/angel rooms.
- Co-op babies can be used to exploit Blood Donation Machines and Devil Beggars because babies still spawn with a whole heart while Keeper always has a full coin; thus, the baby's health can be replenished by spawning/respawning.
- Doesn't work in Chapter 4 and beyond unless Keeper has The WaferAll sources of damage that would cause more than one half heart of damage are reduced to one half heart instead..
- In fights against Hush and Mega Satan bring X - Wheel of FortuneSpawns an arcade machine (Slot Machine or Fortune Teller). - they will not attack you until you get closer to the center of the room allowing you to spawn lots of coins from the slot machine for healing in mid-battle.
After beating Cathedral with Keeper, he will start with Wooden NickelWhen used, has a 50% chance to drop one random type of coin (penny, nickel, or dime)., giving Keeper a source of potential free coin.
- It's usually a good idea to use the Wooden Nickel right after entering a room, because that way, a coin dropped will also work as emergency healing.
- The BatteryActivated Items can be "overcharged" to allow for an additional use., 9 VoltReduces the charge of any Activated Items by 1. Any 1 charge items instead have timed recharges., Charged BabyA familiar that drops a Little Battery every 4 rooms. Has a small chance to freeze all enemies in the room when hit. and Car BatteryCauses Isaac's activated item to activate twice on each use. help to further increase the amount of coins produced. Having HabitWhen Isaac is hit, 1 point of an item's charge is filled. will recharge the Wooden Nickel whenever you're hit, allowing Keeper to potentially sustain itself endlessly, as long as the Nickel pays out.
- Sacrifice rooms can be used much more with the Wooden Nickel, as the coins gained from it can be spent on them.
After beating Sheol with Keeper, he will start with Store KeyAutomatically opens all Shops., giving Keeper free access to Shops.
The following shop items are particularly useful for Keeper:
- Hive MindIncreases the size of blue spiders and Blue Flies and doubles the amount of damage they deal.: Enhances the many Blue Flies Keeper will naturally produce.
- BFFS!Increases the size and damage of familiars.: Any Orbital Familiars are important to protect Keeper's low health, so increasing their size is always good.
- Piggy BankGives 3 pennies on pick-up. Every time Isaac is damaged, he will drop one additional penny.: Drops 0-1 coins with Keeper instead of 1-2, but still provides increased survivability.
- Mom's BoxWhen used, Mom's Box will drop a random trinket on the ground. While held, increases luck by 1 and doubles the effects of trinkets.: Can drop Swallowed PennyUpon taking damage, Isaac drops a penny., and makes Swallowed Penny drop two coins instead of one, resulting in infinite money.
- Any Battery type items; see Keeper#Wooden Nickel
- Sharp PlugUsing an activated item while it's not charged will charge it and Sharp Plug does 2 full heart damage to Isaac. takes only one HP on use.
- Swallowed PennyUpon taking damage, Isaac drops a penny. is very powerful as Keeper will always be able to heal himself after taking a hit. However, invincibility after taking damage does not last long enough to pick up the money without risk of death. This can also grant unlimited money, since this will sometimes drop a nickel or a dime.
- Following Booster Pack 5, the coin dropped on hit can now be picked up before Keeper's invincibility frames end, making Swallowed Penny even better for him.
- If Keeper takes damage from entering a Curse Room, the coin will be dropped on the outside and can't be used to heal before leaving.
- However, if one quickly enters, exits to collect the coin, and the re-enters the room before the invulnerability period ends, the Swallowed Penny allows the Curse Room to be traversed with no net loss in life.
- Head of the KeeperIsaac's tears become coins and now have a chance to drop pennies on the floor upon successfully hitting an enemy. is very useful since enemies will drop coins when hit, which will help Keeper stay alive.
- Piggy BankGives 3 pennies on pick-up. Every time Isaac is damaged, he will drop one additional penny. works differently with Keeper and doesn't drop coins every time he takes damage.
- PyromaniacIsaac heals 1 heart instead of taking damage from an explosive source. Adds 5 bombs. is great with Keeper too, because now you can also heal yourself with all explosions. Combine this with a good bomb item like Kamikaze!Creates an explosion in the same area as Isaac, dealing half a heart of damage to him and also damaging all enemies caught in the blast radius., Dr. FetusTears are replaced by bombs that benefit from bomb-enhancing effects and slide a fixed range after being fired., Epic FetusIsaac's tears are replaced with guided missiles, like those used by the Doctor's Remote., IpecacReplaces tears with explosive and poisoning projectiles fired in an arc from the mouth. and you'll be almost immortal.
- Since every heart is changed into flies, items that give extra Heart drops like GimpyHas a chance of spawning a soul heart or black heart when taking damage. Enemies have a chance to drop a Half Red Heart after being killed., The VirusInflicts poison to enemies who make contact with Isaac. Speed down., Old BandageAdds one empty heart container. Whenever Isaac takes damage there's a chance that a Red Heart may drop., Fanny PackHas a chance to drop a random pickup when Isaac takes damage., Bloody PennyGives a 50% chance to drop a half heart when money is collected., Serpent's KissTears now have a random chance to apply a poison effect, causing 4 or 6 damage per tick to enemies (Similar to The Common Cold item). Isaac now deals poison damage on contact with enemies similar to The Virus item (Damage over time 4 or 6 per tick). Enemies that were poisoned have a chance to drop a black heart when killed., or The RelicIsaac is followed by a small blue cross that will drop a Soul Heart every 4 rooms. become great sources to generate flies. Having Hive MindIncreases the size of blue spiders and Blue Flies and doubles the amount of damage they deal. also helps Keeper deal extra damage to enemies.
- Holy MantleAutomatically negates first taken damage in every room. allows Keeper to enter and leave Curse Rooms with less risk.
- Flight is useful in general, and it also lets Keeper enter Curse Rooms with less risk.
- Because of Keeper's slow rate of fire, any Tears Up items are a boon to him. His tears stat can be raised higher than the normal Inner Eye cap with enough Tears Up. This is because his low Tears stat is actually separate from his triple shot effect, allowing him to hit the standard Tears levels while having triple shots.
- Dead CatSets the amount of red heart containers to 1, but gives Isaac 9 extra lives. After dying, Isaac is teleported to the last safe room. New heart containers can be obtained after picking up this item, but after each death, the number of heart containers is set to 1 again. and 1up!Gives an extra life. Upon death, you will respawn in the previous room with full health and lose the 1up!. will allow Keeper to trade all of his health coins in devil deals, reviving him with 1 health coin for Dead Cat and 0 health coins and 1/2 soul heart for 1up. Keeper can later regain lost health coins with health up items.
- Missing Page 2Gives 1 black heart. Upon taking damage that reduces Isaac's health to one heart or less, activates The Necronomicon effect, dealing 40 damage to all enemies in the room. will activate every time Keeper takes damage, making it an effective replacement to The NegativeIf the character has half a red heart or no red hearts after taking damage, it triggers The Necronomicon effect, damaging all enemies in the room. Also allows entrance into the Dark Room.'s The NecronomiconDamages all enemies in the room significantly. effect.
- The Inner EyeGrants triple shot but decreases tears./ Mutant SpiderGrants quadruple shot but decreases tears. cause Keeper's fire rate to drop considerably, but he shoots 6/7 tears in an arc, allowing for greater damage output.
- 20/20Grants double shot. causes Keeper to shoot 5 tears in an arc, without decreasing his fire rate.
- Blind RageIncreases invincibility time after getting hit. has good synergy with money-dropping items. Since coins need to complete its animation before you can collect it, the extra invincibility frames gives you a bigger window of opportunity to pick them up.
- PlacentaGrants a full heart container, and a chance to regenerate a half-heart of health every minute of gameplay. regeneration effect affects the health coins just like regular red hearts and will allow Keeper to regenerate 1 health coin every minute. As Keeper does not benefit from items that trigger at half a red heart, this item has no downsides.
- Both LeechSpawns a friendly familiar leech on the ground that hunts down enemies and heals you for half a heart each time it eats one. and Yum HeartRestores 1 whole red heart. will heal Keeper.
- Tech XTears are replaced with laser rings that pierce through enemies and deal damage to enemies within them. Can be charged to increase the size of the ring. synergizes well with Keeper's triple shot.
- DiplopiaDuplicates all pickups and item pedestals in the room./ Credit CardConverts all items in the Shop or Devil Room into pickups or items on pedestals, allowing them to be picked up for free. This card's effect lasts for the entire floor, but only affects the room it was used in. Wasted if used outside the shop or the devil room. Allows devil room items to be obtained without affecting the chance of an angel room appearing. can be used to take Devil Deal items without spending any hearts.
- Lucky RockEach obstacle destroyed drops one coin. can allow Keeper to get coins from rocks as long as he has bombs.
- Portable SlotUpon activation, 1 coin will be consumed, and a random pickup may drop, similar to the slot machine. can be used to generate coins to heal Keeper during extended fights and in some cases might be better than Wooden NickelWhen used, has a 50% chance to drop one random type of coin (penny, nickel, or dime). when money is not a concern.
- Greed's GulletGrants a heart container for every 25 coins Isaac has. allows Keeper's health to extend past 2 coins, which is normally impossible. DO NOT pick up Dead Cat if you have all available health points using Greed's Gullet. This will instantly kill you, and when you are brought back by the Dead Cat, you will have only 1 hit point which you can no longer increase.
- Glass CannonWhen used, reduces Isaac's health to half a heart (including soul and black hearts) and fires one large piercing spectral tear that does a lot of damage. The damage done by Glass Cannon scales with Isaac's damage (at base damage it does 45 damage). works good in early game for killing bosses and large groups of fast enemies, especially when holding Dark Prince's CrownIncreases range, tears, and shot speed when at exactly one red heart. or Dead CatSets the amount of red heart containers to 1, but gives Isaac 9 extra lives. After dying, Isaac is teleported to the last safe room. New heart containers can be obtained after picking up this item, but after each death, the number of heart containers is set to 1 again.. It's also useful for speeding up the run when the player's goal is Boss Rush or Blue Womb.
- Dim BulbProvides a boost to all stats when Isaac's active item is completely uncharged. is very useful if you keep the Wooden Nickel, as using it at the start of any room or beforehand will grant a hefty boost to most stats.
- Health Ups are useless when Keeper has 2 health coins. However, if a Devil Room opens while the Boss Room item is a Health Up, the player can pay for a 1 Red Heart Devil Deal and then get the Health Up to get back to full health. XI - StrengthUpon use, increases all of Isaac's stats except tears and adds one (temporary) heart container for the current room. can also be used to get back to two health coins, as the health bonus from the card is permanent for Keeper.
- Devil Deals requiring 2 Red Hearts cannot be taken unless Keeper has a resurrection item, Credit CardConverts all items in the Shop or Devil Room into pickups or items on pedestals, allowing them to be picked up for free. This card's effect lasts for the entire floor, but only affects the room it was used in. Wasted if used outside the shop or the devil room. Allows devil room items to be obtained without affecting the chance of an angel room appearing., DiplopiaDuplicates all pickups and item pedestals in the room., Strength Card, a Health Up Pill or Judas' TongueItems in the Devil Room only cost 1 heart. Soul heart trades still cost 3 Soul hearts..
- The PolaroidIf the character has half a red heart or no red hearts after taking damage, it triggers the Book Of Shadows effect, creating a shield that nullifies all types of damage for 5 seconds. Also allows entrance into The Chest., The NegativeIf the character has half a red heart or no red hearts after taking damage, it triggers The Necronomicon effect, damaging all enemies in the room. Also allows entrance into the Dark Room. or Whore of BabylonIncreases damage and speed whenever Isaac has half a red heart or less (one red heart for Eve), ignoring any soul or black hearts. cannot be triggered by Keeper, since he can't have half a heart of health. An exception is after being revived by Guppy's CollarGrants Isaac a permanent 50% chance to respawn with 1/2 of a red heart after death., which is presumably a bug.
- Empty VesselWhile Isaac has no red hearts, this item grants flight and a random chance to activate an invincibility shield for a few seconds. If Isaac gains any red hearts, these benefits will disappear. does not work with Keeper as health coins count as red heart containers.
- Maggy's BowGives one heart container and doubles the healing provided by red hearts., The JarWhen at full health, up to 4 extra hearts can be stored in the jar., Dark BumSpawns a familiar that follows Isaac around and collects red hearts. For every one-and-a-half red hearts collected, Dark Bum will generate one soul heart, one hostile Spider or one friendly blue spider. and Immaculate ConceptionUpon picking up a certain amount of health, spawn a permanent angelic familiar. will not provide Keeper any benefit, as all heart pickups turn into flies.
- Taking AbaddonIncreases damage and speed, removes all red heart containers, grants six black hearts, and adds a chance to shoot fear tears. will instantly kill Keeper, since it takes away all red health and Keeper cannot make use of the Black Hearts or the Bone Hearts given. Amusingly, it will spawn a lot of flies in the process.
- Guppy's PawRemoves one red heart container in exchange for gaining 3 Soul Hearts. will remove a health coin and spawn 9 blue flies. Removing all health coins with Guppy's Paw will not kill Keeper immediately, but he will die upon picking up an item.
- It is not recommended to take Bum FriendA portable beggar who follows Isaac, picks up coins for himself, and occasionally drops a pickup after collecting a coin. Does not spawn collectibles. or BumboSpawns a beggar familiar which floats around the room and picks up any nearby coins, leveling up after collecting several coins. At level 2, Bumbo gains a body. At level 3, it begins to fire tears. At level 4, Bumbo chases enemies slowly, dealing contact damage. as they will pick up coins off the ground that could have been used as health.
- Monstro's LungIncreases damage and grants a charged shot that fires multiple tears in the same fashion as Monstro. will take a dangerously long time to charge.
- Keeper was publicly revealed to players through an alternate reality game created by the developers; however, files alluding to Keeper's existence already were found after the initial release of Afterbirth. With the conclusion of the ARG, a patch was released to fully add Keeper to the game as a playable character.
- In the games files, there is a character called "Old Man Keeper", which was most likely meant to be the 2nd Afterbirth character instead of Keeper. However, he was replaced with this Keeper. This sprite was later used for April Fool's Day 2016 and 2017, as Keeper's sprite was changed to this sprite for the day.
- Keeper having two coins instead of hearts for health is possibly a reference to Charon's Obol, a tradition in northern Mediterranean cultures, particularly Greek and Roman cultures, where one would place a pair of coins on the deceased's eyes to pay Charon, the ferryman of the river Styx, for the trip across, but also to pay for a return trip from the world of the dead if one was expected. This is further supported by the fact The Lost, whose starting coin is also suspected to be a reference to Charon's Obol, only has one coin and is depicted as a spirit, while Keeper has two and is depicted as a corpse, supposing he paid to bring his body back across the river Styx.