Lazarus is unlocked once the player has four or more soul hearts (or black hearts) at once during a run. He is a new character in The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth. He starts with three red heart containers and a random pill. He has slightly lower Range and Luck than Isaac, but also has 1 extra life at the beginning of the game.
His revived form has increased base stats, with above-average damage, speed, and range. Though low on health, his improved stats counterbalance this weakness well.
Lazarus Risen[edit | edit source]
When Lazarus (or another character with the item Lazarus' RagsUpon dying, resurrect as Revived Lazarus with one heart container and Anemic item.) dies, they will be resurrected in the same room as Lazarus Risen.
Lazarus Risen gains a significant increase to most of his stats, with bonuses in Damage, Speed, Range, and Luck, as well as the Anemic+5 range. After Isaac is damaged, a trail of red creep will be left behind Isaac until he leaves the current room. passive item, causing him to leave a toxic blood trail behind him after taking damage. Note that unlike other items that cause the player to respawn, Lazarus' revival ability revives him on the spot, as opposed to the previous safe room.
Lazarus Risen is considered by the game to be a separate character from Lazarus, but all unlockable items can be earned by completing objectives with Lazarus Risen, and if you beat particular bosses for the first time with Lazarus Risen, you will gain the corresponding Completion Mark on Lazarus's post-it note.
After Challenge 31: Backasswards is beaten, Lazarus Risen's Anemic effect is permanent and no longer requires him to take damage.
Unlockable items[edit | edit source]
Item & Strategy notes[edit | edit source]
- Donating your last heart piece to a devil beggar and respawning as Lazarus Risen activates the beggar an extra two times for a total of three.
- Lazarus' negative luck decreases the chance to obtain Room Drops. As such, items increasing Luck are welcomed.
- Lazarus' low range can make it harder to hit enemies, in such case, items increasing Range are also welcomed.
- It is also possible to let yourself purposefully die at the beginning to become Lazarus Risen and obtain stronger stats, although you will be revived on the spot and have only 1 heart container.
- For example, attempt to complete the 2nd floor without any red heart damage, enter the Devil room, and make deals until Lazarus dies. This will utilize Lazarus's 3 red heart containers to the most if successfully performed, but heavily relies on RNG.
- After beating Challenge 31: Backasswards, Lazarus will have Anemic+5 range. After Isaac is damaged, a trail of red creep will be left behind Isaac until he leaves the current room. even before reviving. Anemic gives +5 range which compensates his shortness on range, effectively nullifying problems around this.
- Lazarus Risen will always have Anemic activated and will constantly leave blood trails. A higher Speed attribute may help him spread more blood around the room.
Good items[edit | edit source]
- Any range up items. ( Mom's HeelsIncreases range., Mom's UnderwearIncreases range....)
- The lack of range can be compensated by a higher shot speed, via picking up items such as Cat-O-Nine-TailsIncreases Shot Speed and damage. or Speed BallIncreases speed by 0.3 and shot speed by 20%..
- Any luck up items. ( Latch KeyIncreases Luck by 1, grants 1 Soul Heart and spawns 2 Keys., Lucky Foot+1 Luck. Increases chance of winning Shell Game Beggar. (Independent of luck stat)...)
- PHDConverts all bad pills into good pills, spawns one pill pickup and restores health. Identifies all pills upon pickup. and VirgoGrants a chance to trigger the Book of Shadows effect upon taking damage, creating a shield that nullifies all types of damage for 10 seconds. Also converts "bad pills" into "good pills". have a possibility to turn Lazarus' beginning pill into a positive one, unless his pill has an effect deemed neutral.
- Suicide KingKills Isaac and spawns lots of pickups, items, and/or chests in the same room. can be used most effectively when playing as Lazarus.
- Lost CorkIncreases the radius of any creep produced by Isaac. increases the size of Anemic's creep trail, which can be useful for Lazarus Risen, especially if he has the Anemic effect permanently due to the player having beaten Backasswards.
- After his resurrection, any health up items will help. Lazarus Risen initially has only 1 heart, therefore is rather fragile.
Bad items[edit | edit source]
- Cricket's BodyGrants -1 Tear Delay and reduces Range. When tears hit an object or deplete their range, they spawn 4 smaller tears, whose Range and Damage scale with Isaac's. has to be avoided. Although it allows an increase in Tears and gives splash tears, its range diminution, added with Lazarus' already low range, can become dangerous. The same applies for Number One+1.5 tears, -15.77 range.
- Eve's MascaraDoubles damage, halves tears stat, and greatly reduces shot speed. and Dead OnionGrants piercing and spectral tears. Increases tear size (without increasing damage) while greatly reducing range and shot speed.'s drastic shot speed reduction can also prove themselves to be negative for Lazarus.
- A Lump of CoalThe more distance tears travel, the more damage they will do. loses in efficiency due to Lazarus' initial range.
Note that after his resurrection, or receiving Anemic for the first life, these problems become much less troublesome due to the increased Range stat.
- Be careful to use self-damaging items or take devil deals as Lazarus Risen, due to his shortness on heart containers.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Lazarus is a reference to Lazarus of Bethany. In the Bible, Lazarus of Bethany was resurrected by Jesus 4 days after his death. This is why Lazarus spawns with 1 extra life.
- Lazarus Risen's next floor art, in which he is crying about a bad memory, has blood tears, rather than the normal tears.
- If a co-op player joins in and takes a red heart from Lazarus, if Lazarus dies and gets revived, the co-op player can leave to grant Lazarus Risen an extra heart container.
- If the player dies as Lazarus Risen, his signature on Isaac's last will will have blood drops on it.
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
|Achievements||Attributes||Bosses||Cards and Runes||Challenges||Chapters|