|For the item with a similar name, see The Mulligan.|
Mulligans are enemies with tear-filled eyes and a bloated head that appear in Chapter 1. Mulligans are afraid of the player and will actively try to avoid them. Their eyes widen and their speed increases when evading a nearby player. In their panicked state they may stumble over spikes or into fire.
In later chapters, deformed variants of Mulligans will appear.
Variations[edit | edit source]
Mulligoon[edit | edit source]
Mulligoons display a depressed appearance, but unlike Mulligans, they do not have tears in their eyes. They will audibly wail and attempt to evade the player. Their skin is a darker shade and one eye appears to be missing. They also don't generally hurt the player on touch and may self-detonate. They release 4 projectiles in an X-pattern and drop a troll bomb on death. If they self-detonate, they release 8 projectiles rather than 4.
Mulliboom[edit | edit source]
Mullibooms have a bomb wedged into their head. Instead of avoiding the player like all other Mulligan-types, they will charge at the player and explode on contact, dealing half a heart of damage. They also explode immediately if they are killed, similar to Boom Flies. Make sure to keep a safe distance when delivering the final shot, and consider killing them next to a wall that might be adjacent to the Secret Room.
Hive[edit | edit source]
Hives are enemies with a large rotting head and no eyes. Inhabited by flies, they can be found in Chapter 2 and Chapter 3. Although harmless on contact and lacking any direct attacks, they will spit out Attack Flies and spawn multiple Black Flies and Attack Flies upon death. They behave similarly to Mulligans including audibly whimpering and evading the player. Hives have higher health than Mulligans.
Nest[edit | edit source]
Nests, a new enemy in Rebirth, are a difficult variant of the Mulligan. Instead of flies, they are swollen with Spiders which they will periodically spit. Nests share the same high health as Hives. On death they can spawn Trites or Big Spiders.
Drowned Hive[edit | edit source]
Drowned Hives behave similarly to Hives, but spit Drowned Chargers instead of flies. Upon death, they spawn 1-2 Drowned Chargers.
Leper[edit | edit source]
Lepers are a Mulligan variant introduced in Booster Pack #5. Lepers are initially afraid of the player and will actively try to avoid them. For every 15 damage they take, a chunk of their head, known as Leper Flesh, will detach and start erratically chasing Isaac. After being reduced to 15 health, Lepers will start chasing Isaac, leaving a trail of damaging red creep. Upon death they leave behind one Leper Flesh and a slightly grayer Gusher.
Lepers in varying levels of destruction can spawn.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Lepers deal no contact damage if their heads are fully intact, if they are in any state below that then they will deal contact damage.
- Their head chunks also die if Isaac walks into them, though this will result in him taking damage.
- Lepers can naturally be found with some head chunks missing.
Leper Flesh[edit | edit source]
Leper Fleshes are head chunks from Lepers that erratically chase Isaac and are spawned from Lepers for every 15 damage they take. Upon death, they fire a red blood shot at Isaac.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Aside from Mullibooms and damaged Lepers, Mulligans and their variants are particularly susceptible to items that apply status effects to enemies on touch, such as E ColiGives "Turdy Touch" Effect. Enemies that touch Isaac are changed into poop. or Midas' TouchEnemies that touch you are stunned and turn gold. Any enemy killed while in this state will drop a coin..
- You can tell a Mulligan or Mulligoon is about to self detonate when they hold their breath and inflate.
- Red Champion Mulligans, Hives, Nests and Drowned Hives are difficult, as when they die, they can regenerate and spawn more enemies.
- White Champion Hives, Nests, and Drowned Hives are difficult as every enemy they spawn will give them invincibility.
- Pulsing Red Champion Hives, Nests, and Drowned Hives are difficult as every enemy they spawn will regenerate until Isaac kills it.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Mulligan, Mulligoon, Hive and Swarmer are all the same monster in stages of decay and infestation.
- In the original Binding of Isaac, when a Mulligan self-detonated, the explosion would not break rocks.
- In the game's files, there is an unused Mulliboom self-detonation animation, an unused graphic of a Hive with a Mulligoon's face, and an unused graphic of the Drowned Hive with a blue-tinted Mulligoon's face.
- Drowned Hives, along with Drowned Chargers (name of Drowned Charger wasn't revealed), were revealed for Afterbirth in this official Binding Of Isaac post.
- A leper is a person who suffers from leprosy, or a contagious disease that causes discoloration and lumping on the skin plus disfigurement and deformities.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Bugs[edit | edit source]
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
|Achievements||Attributes||Bosses||Cards and Runes||Challenges||Chapters|