From Binding of Isaac: Rebirth Wiki
|Restores 1 whole red heart.|
Unlockable items[edit | edit source]
Items & Strategy Notes[edit | edit source]
- Magdalene's strong point is her vitality. Her naturally high health and her starting item, Yum Heart, allow her to survive more damage than other characters.
- With her high number of heart containers, Magdalene can afford more deals with the Devil.
- She can also take more advantage of sacrificial damage, such as with a Blood Donation Machine, Sacrifice Room or from Bloody Lust
Increases damage as Isaac receives damage. Damage increase stays for the whole floor.
- Magdalene's biggest disadvantage is her low speed, which makes her more vulnerable to threats, especially from fast-moving attacks and homing projectiles. Look to get items which increase speed and avoid those that lower it further.
Favored Items[edit | edit source]
- Items that trigger on player damage, such as Gimpy
and The Virus
Has a chance of spawning a soul heart or black heart when taking damage. Enemies have a chance to drop a Half Red Heart after being killed.
, stand to see more action through Magdalene's high health.
Inflicts poison to enemies who make contact with Isaac. Speed down.
- Self-damaging items such as Razor Blade
Upon use, deals one heart of damage to Isaac and grants +1.2 damage for the current room.
also gain in utility.
Creates an explosion in the same area as Isaac, dealing half a heart of damage to him and also damaging all enemies caught in the blast radius.
- Self-damaging items such as Razor Blade
- The Habit
and 9 Volt
When Isaac is hit, 1 point of an item's charge is filled.
are blessings to Magdalene's regeneration if she still holds Yum Heart
Reduces the charge of any Activated Items by 1. Any 1 charge items instead have timed recharges.
, as they allow the item to recharge itself much more quickly.
Restores 1 whole red heart.
- The Wafer
is a godsend (no pun intended) to Magdalene's health-driven play style.
All sources of damage that would cause more than one half heart of damage are reduced to one half heart instead.
- Sacrificing health with an IV Bag
can be quite useful if low on money.
Upon activation, Isaac loses a half-heart (one whole heart in The Womb onwards) for a random amount of coins, similar to the blood donation machine.
- A single speed boosting item such as The Belt
will negate Magdalene's speed weakness.
Increases speed by 0.3.
- Shielding items can be used to compensate for Magdalene's low speed. ( Infamy
, Holy Mantle
Chance to block projectiles coming from any direction.
Automatically negates first taken damage in every room.
's regenerative abilities can further supplement Magdalene's self-healing. The same applies for Little C.H.A.D.
Grants a full heart container, and a chance to regenerate a half-heart of health every minute of gameplay.
's red heart generation and other similar healing items.
A familiar who will drop a half red heart every 2 rooms.
and Charm of the Vampire
Spawns a friendly familiar leech on the ground that hunts down enemies and heals you for half a heart each time it eats one.
are also useful for regenerating health upon killing enemies.
Heals the character for half of a red heart for every 13 monsters killed.
- Guppy's Paw
allows Magdalene to turn her four initial heart containers into twelve Soul Hearts - the maximum number of soul hearts possible.
Removes one red heart container in exchange for gaining 3 Soul Hearts.
- The AAA Battery
trinket allows the Yum Heart to take only 3 rooms to charge instead of 4.
Automatically recharges the last energy slot of an activated item, effectively reducing recharge rates by one.
- Old Bandage
will have a chance to drop a heart upon being hit, which may come in handy if Magdalene's low on health.
Adds one empty heart container. Whenever Isaac takes damage there's a chance that a Red Heart may drop.
Disfavored Items[edit | edit source]
- Bucket of Lard
's heart container bonus is tempting, though it's better to avoid this item initially as it would render Magdalene's speed very low. Any other speed down items are to be avoided as well ( Taurus
Grants two empty heart containers and heals Isaac by half a heart, but decreases speed by 0.2.
may make an exception from its speed increase over time and My Little Unicorn
Speed down; gains speed while in a room with enemies until gaining My Little Unicorn effect for a few seconds.
effect if the speed becomes high enough).
Upon use, grants invulnerability and increased speed for five seconds, removing the ability to shoot tears and replacing it with the ability to deal contact damage to enemies.
removes all red heart containers, which can turn out to be a disadvantage for Magdalene.
Increases damage and speed, removes all red heart containers, grants six black hearts, and adds a chance to shoot fear tears.
- Dark Bum
eats red heart pickups, which can dampen Magdalene's regenerative play style. However, used in conjunction with her starting Yum Heart, Dark Bum can be a powerful way to turn otherwise redundant pickups to your advantage.
Spawns a familiar that follows Isaac around and collects red hearts. For every one-and-a-half red hearts collected, Dark Bum will generate one soul heart, one hostile Spider or one friendly blue spider.
- If Dead Cat
is picked up early, it takes away Magdalene's primary strength (high health) and exacerbates her biggest weakness (low avoidance).
Sets the amount of red heart containers to 1, but gives Isaac 9 extra lives. After dying, Isaac is teleported to the last safe room. New heart containers can be obtained after picking up this item, but after each death, the number of heart containers is set to 1 again.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Maggy appeared in the original Binding of Isaac.
- Maggy's unlock requirements in Rebirth are the same in the original Binding of Isaac.
- Magdalene is a reference to Mary Magdalene, a follower of Jesus who had seven demons cast out of her body, referenced with the seven heart containers needed to unlock her. She has been canonized as a saint in several Christian denominations, and is believed to have been a prostitute before following Jesus (though this has no textual basis in the Bible, and is considered by scholars to be a baseless myth).
- In the game files, the image file for Maggie's hair is named maggiesbeautifulgoldenlocks.png.
- Maggy's hair appears to be identical to the wig that Isaac receives in one of his mid-floor nightmares. It is possible the character of Maggy might be Isaac wearing a wig.
- The person with gold hair in ending 14 and the Final ending has been confirmed to be Isaac wearing a wig, which furthers this idea.
- Another piece of evidence is that the three female playable characters all have Isaac's voice.
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
|Achievements||Attributes||Bosses||Cards and Runes||Challenges||Chapters|