Magdalene, or Maggy, is unlocked when the player obtains seven or more heart containers at once in a run. Magdalene starts with four red heart containers and the Yum HeartRestores 1 whole red heart..
If the Aprils Fool challenge is completed, she will also start with a Speed Up pill.
- Magdalene's strong point is her vitality. Her naturally high health and her starting item, Yum Heart, allow her to survive more damage than other characters.
- With her high number of heart containers, Magdalene can afford more deals with the Devil.
- She can also take more advantage of sacrificial damage, such as with a Blood Donation Machine, Sacrifice Room or from Bloody LustIncreases damage as Isaac receives damage. Damage increase stays for the whole floor..
- Magdalene's biggest disadvantage is her low speed, which makes her more vulnerable to threats, especially from fast-moving attacks and homing projectiles. Look to get items which increase speed and avoid those that lower it further.
- Once the Aprils Fool challenge is completed, this disadvantage is rendered moot as she will start every run with a Speed Up pill.
- Items that trigger on player damage, such as GimpyHas a chance of spawning a soul heart or black heart when taking damage. Enemies have a chance to drop a Half Red Heart after being killed. and The VirusInflicts poison to enemies who make contact with Isaac. Speed down., stand to see more action through Magdalene's high health.
- Self-damaging items such as Razor BladeUpon use, deals one heart of damage to Isaac and grants +1.2 damage for the current room. and Kamikaze!Creates an explosion in the same area as Isaac, dealing half a heart of damage to him and also damaging all enemies caught in the blast radius. also gain in utility.
- The HabitWhen Isaac is hit, 1 point of an item's charge is filled. and 9 VoltReduces the charge of any Activated Items by 1. Any 1 charge items instead have timed recharges. are blessings to Magdalene's regeneration if she still holds Yum HeartRestores 1 whole red heart., as they allow the item to recharge itself much more quickly.
- The WaferAll sources of damage that would cause more than one half heart of damage are reduced to one half heart instead. is a godsend (no pun intended) to Magdalene's health-driven play style.
- Sacrificing health with an IV BagUpon activation, Isaac loses a half-heart (one whole heart in The Womb onwards) for a random amount of coins, similar to the blood donation machine. can be quite useful if low on money.
- A single speed boosting item such as The BeltIncreases speed by 0.3. will negate Magdalene's speed weakness.
- If Aprils Fool has been completed, the Speed Up pill that Magdalene starts with will negate the weakness.
- Shielding items can be used to compensate for Magdalene's low speed. ( InfamyChance to block projectiles coming from any direction., Holy MantleAutomatically negates first taken damage in every room....)
- PlacentaGrants a full heart container, and a chance to regenerate a half-heart of health every minute of gameplay.'s regenerative abilities can further supplement Magdalene's self-healing. The same applies for Little C.H.A.D.A familiar who will drop a half red heart every 2 rooms.'s red heart generation and other similar healing items.
- LeechSpawns a friendly familiar leech on the ground that hunts down enemies and heals you for half a heart each time it eats one. and Charm of the VampireHeals the character for half of a red heart for every 13 monsters killed. are also useful for regenerating health upon killing enemies.
- Guppy's PawRemoves one red heart container in exchange for gaining 3 Soul Hearts. allows Magdalene to turn her four initial heart containers into twelve Soul Hearts - the maximum number of soul hearts possible.
- The AAA BatteryAutomatically recharges the last energy slot of an activated item, effectively reducing recharge rates by one. trinket allows the Yum Heart to take only 3 rooms to charge instead of 4.
- Old BandageAdds one empty heart container. Whenever Isaac takes damage there's a chance that a Red Heart may drop. will have a chance to drop a heart upon being hit, which may come in handy if Magdalene's low on health.
- Bucket of LardGrants two empty heart containers and heals Isaac by half a heart, but decreases speed by 0.2.'s heart container bonus is tempting, though it's better to avoid this item initially as it would render Magdalene's speed very low. Any other speed down items are to be avoided as well ( TaurusSpeed down; gains speed while in a room with enemies until gaining My Little Unicorn effect for a few seconds. may make an exception from its speed increase over time and My Little UnicornUpon use, grants invulnerability and increased speed for five seconds, removing the ability to shoot tears and replacing it with the ability to deal contact damage to enemies. effect if the speed becomes high enough).
- AbaddonIncreases damage and speed, removes all red heart containers, grants six black hearts, and adds a chance to shoot fear tears. removes all red heart containers, which can turn out to be a disadvantage for Magdalene.
- Dark BumSpawns a familiar that follows Isaac around and collects red hearts. For every one-and-a-half red hearts collected, Dark Bum will generate one soul heart, one hostile Spider or one friendly blue spider. eats red heart pickups, which can dampen Magdalene's regenerative play style. However, used in conjunction with her starting Yum Heart, Dark Bum can be a powerful way to turn otherwise redundant pickups to your advantage.
- If Dead CatSets the amount of red heart containers to 1, but gives Isaac 9 extra lives. After dying, Isaac is teleported to the last safe room. New heart containers can be obtained after picking up this item, but after each death, the number of heart containers is set to 1 again. is picked up early, it takes away Magdalene's primary strength (high health) and exacerbates her biggest weakness (low avoidance).
There are some stray pixels on Maggy's "Bad Pill" animation.
- Maggy appeared in the original Binding of Isaac.
- Maggy's unlock requirements in Rebirth are the same in the original Binding of Isaac.
- Magdalene is a reference to Mary Magdalene, a follower of Jesus who had seven demons cast out of her body, referenced with the seven heart containers needed to unlock her. She has been canonized as a saint in several Christian denominations, and is believed to have been a prostitute before following Jesus (though this has no textual basis in the Bible, and is considered by scholars to be a baseless myth).
- In the game files, the image file for Maggie's hair is named maggiesbeautifulgoldenlocks.png.
- Maggy's hair appears to be identical to the wig that Isaac receives in one of his mid-floor nightmares. It is possible the character of Maggy might be Isaac wearing a wig.
- The person with gold hair in ending 14 and the Final ending has been confirmed to be Isaac wearing a wig, which furthers this idea.
- Another piece of evidence is that the three female playable characters all have Isaac's voice.