|N/A (Cuts directly to Ending 16)|
Unlock[edit | edit source]
- ??? or The Lamb must have been defeated in an earlier run.
- Collecting both key pieces will form the fully completed key, which is automatically used upon entering The Chest or the Dark Room on the golden gate.
- Alternatively, Dad's Key can be used to unlock the Golden Key Door instead of the key pieces. Dad's Key is unlocked by collecting both key pieces in an earlier run.
- Get out of Jail Free Card can also unlock the Golden Key Door if used in the starting room of The Chest or the Dark Room.
- Mr. ME! can also unlock the door if the item is aimed at it.
- Stepping on spikes in a Sacrifice Room for the 9th and 11th times spawn Uriel and Gabriel, who will drop their respective key pieces. Stepping on spikes for the 12th time and beyond has a 50% chance to teleport Isaac to the Dark Room, where the door will be unlocked if both key pieces were picked up.
Passing through this Golden Key door and stepping onto the pentagram will initiate the Mega Satan fight.
Behavior[edit | edit source]
Mega Satan is accompanied by two hands, which serve as a barrier to protect him and an avenue for him to attack. His hands will spread apart if Isaac gets close to him, and close in if Isaac moves away from him. Each hand has 600 HP, and destroying a hand deals 100 damage to Mega Satan. Each hand respawns 30 seconds after it’s destroyed.
Mega Satan has the following attacks:
- Closes his eyes and shakes, then fires one of several shot patterns, including:
- 3-5 lines of blood shots. The angle these shots are fired at alternates between rotating clockwise and counterclockwise. The less lines of shots there are, the faster they travel and rotate.
- Spreads of brown shots that split into 4 smaller shots after traveling far enough, similarly to Cricket's Body.
- 2 spirals of blood shots that very rapidly rotate clockwise, creating semi-circular waves of shots.
- Rings of blood shots, fired in rapid bursts of 3.
- 2 spirals of blood shots that rotate clockwise at different speeds.
- 3 lines of blood shots that alternate between slowly curving right and left with every shot fired. The angle these lines of shots are fired out at alternates between slightly rotating clockwise and counterclockwise.
- Closes his eyes and shakes, then fires a large blood laser straight down, similar to the one make by Mega Blast. His hands will always fully spread apart while charging the laser, regardless of how far away Isaac is.
- Slams his head into the platforms 1-3 times, creating chaotic bursts of shots in all directions.
- Holds up one hand, then slams it at Isaac, creating a circular rock wave on impact. This attack can’t be used if both hands are currently destroyed.
- Slams both hands 3 times, creating rock waves that move towards the bottom of the screen. This attack can’t be used if either hand is currently destroyed.
- Destroying a hand during this attack will prevent it from creating more rock waves.
- Mega Satan will also occasionally spawn sets of minibosses to attack Isaac alongside him. These sets can be:
- After taking enough damage, Mega Satan and his hands will withdraw into the darkness behind him and become invulnerable. During this time, waves of bosses will spawn, which must be killed in order to make Mega Satan vulnerable again. The first waves of bosses begins after Mega Satan takes 750 damage, the second after 1,500 damage, and the third after 2,250 damage.
After taking 3,000 damage, Mega Satan will sink into the darkness and rise in his final phase as a skull. His will no longer have his hands, nor will he spawn bosses; instead, he fires complex, bullet hell-style shots. Possible patterns include the ones from the first phase (with increased shot speed), plus:
- 2 spirals of shots that slowly rotate counterclockwise. The shots zig-zag as they travel outward.
- 2 lines of shots that alternate between curving left and right. These lines combine to create curving lines with an safe space that moves from the left of the arena to the right.
- Rings of shots, with every other wave fluctuating in speed as it travels.
- Many lines of shots that slowly curve to the left (if black) and right (if red); these lines create safe spaces to maneuver in that slowly shift to the right.
- Several lines of shots that slowly wiggle as they travel, similarly to Wiggle Worm. The angle these shots are fired at either rotates clockwise or alternates between rotating clockwise and counterclockwise.
- Many lines of shots that wiggle as they travel and slowly curve to the left (if black) and right (if red); these lines create unmoving safe spaces between them.
- Many lines of shots that spin as they travel, similarly to Ring Worm. The angle these shots are fired at constantly randomizes.
- These shots don’t travel far enough to reach the corners of the arena if Mega Satan isn’t close to that corner.
- Dense rings of shots that wiggle as they travel.
- Several lines of shots that make large zig-zags as they travel.
- Six lines of shots, half of which slowly curve to the left (if black) and right (if red). These lines create safe spaces that slowly move towards Mega Satan.
- Rings of shots that rotate clockwise (if red) and counterclockwise (if black) simultaneously.
- Several lines of shots that continuously converge onto each other.
- The shots used in these patterns can be colored black, red, brown, or silver, depending on which one is used. For some attacks, they instead appear as red or yellow fire.
As Mega Satan takes damage during this phase, his skull will begin to crack. After this final phase is defeated, the game ends and Ending 16 plays.
If The Void is unlocked, there is a 50% chance that the game will not immediately end, and Mega Satan will instead drop an ending chest along with a portal. Entering the chest ends the game and plays the cutscene while entering the portal will take Isaac to The Void.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
/ Unlockable Achievements[edit | edit source]
These achievements are exclusive to Afterbirth and Afterbirth†.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Afterbirth added Completion Marks for defeating Mega Satan. In Rebirth, there are no achievements linked to Mega Satan.
- Mega Satan does not have a health bar, making it difficult to determine how close he is to death.
- Mega Satan does not drop a Golden Chest after beating him, cutting directly to Ending 16.
- It will drop a Golden chest if a portal to The Void appears, giving a choice of getting the ending or going to the true final floor.
- Mega Satan is behind an invisible wall Isaac can't move past, making him immune to contract damage effects like Midas' Touch and The Virus.
- Using Chaos Card on the first phase will cause Mega Satan to go into his second phase instead of instantly killing him.
- This is because the first and second phase of the fight are actually two different enemies, and are shown as such in the bestiary.
- Mega Satan's hands count toward the mob cap total in the room, and prevent Greed, Sloth, and Fallen Gabriel from spawning enemies while they are undestroyed.
- With homing tears and The Ludovico Technique, the tear will be constantly attracted by the head even when it can't be targeted, making killing the horsemen, super sins, and angels very hard.
- Unlocking the Golden Gate with the combined key pieces and then restarting the floor with Forget Me Now or an I AM ERROR room will waste the key, which will not respawn.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Mega Satan's battle theme is titled Hericide, just like regular Satan.
- The Mega Satan room appears square but is a 1x2 room with a large pit where Mega Satan stands.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
|Achievements||Attributes||Bosses||Cards and Runes||Challenges||Chapters|