Metronome is an unlockable activated item added in Afterbirth †.
- Grants a random item's effect for the current room.
- Certain items can be activated with Metronome which have unexpected effects. Many items will do nothing. It is not clear what is intended and what is a bug.
- Items do not spawn consumables that they might when picked up normally.
- Flight ability from activated items will persist even with no cosmetic effect.
- AbaddonIncreases damage and speed, removes all red heart containers, grants six black hearts, and adds a chance to shoot fear tears. will not remove red hearts or grant black hearts, unlike most health-adjusting items.
- BrimstoneTears are replaced by a laser beam that pierces through all enemies and obstacles in its path and deals high damage. Can only be fired after a short charge-up period. will not disappear upon leaving a room until you use Metronome again or swap it for a different item.
- Cube of MeatOrbiting familiar that blocks enemy shots and deals damage to enemies. If collected while already having one, makes the familiar evolve. Only drops from Horsemen. Similar to Ball of Bandages. granted by Potato PeelerRemoves a heart container, increases damage and range, and grants a Cube of Meat. will persist between rooms and floors, even if Metronome is used again.
- Dr. FetusTears are replaced by bombs that benefit from bomb-enhancing effects and slide a fixed range after being fired. and Epic FetusIsaac's tears are replaced with guided missiles, like those used by the Doctor's Remote. will not disappear upon leaving the room until you use Metronome again.
- If some item changes Isaac's size, it will stay the same after leaving the room or using Metronome in the same room.
- Health, coins, bombs, or keys that are granted to Isaac directly will persist.
- Using this item multiple times in the same room will replace the previous item with a new one.
- This item may also activate the effect of:
- D4Rerolls all of Isaac's items., D100Upon use, rerolls all passive items on Isaac like the D4, every pedestal item in the room like The D6, and every pickup like the D20. or D InfinityGrants a random dice item that changes each use. mimicking the other two, thus completely changing your build.
- Forget Me NowWhen activated, the level ends and is freshly regenerated with new rooms, monsters, and items. Disappears after use., resetting the floor.
- Beware using this as The Lost, as it can trigger self-harm items and kill him.
- Metronome cannot grant the effects of itself, Plan CKills all enemies in the room, then kills Isaac three seconds later., or Glowing Hour GlassWhen used, this item will rewind time, put Isaac back in the previous room, and undo anything that happened in the current room. Any health, pickups, or items gained or lost will be reset back to the previous state..
- Eden's Blessing+0.7 tears up. Grants a random item at the start of the next run. will not grant an extra item for the next run, only its stat effects.
- Car BatteryCauses Isaac's activated item to activate twice on each use.: Metronome is activated twice at once as expected, but the item chosen for the first activation is shown raised above Isaac's head, instead of the second one that actually remains active.
- The name, pickup quote, and effect of this item are a reference to the move 'Metronome' from the Pokémon franchise.
- This item works similarly to the item Dead Sea ScrollsTriggers the effect of a random activated item from a list of possible options (not every activated item is included)..
Items that directly modify tear delay after its calculation
will retain their effect between rooms and floors. Stats other than tear delay associated with the item will reverse upon leaving the room. Tear delay will remain; however, the next time the stat is updated, it will revert to the correct value.
For example, Metronome is used in a room and gives PolyphemusMakes Isaac shoot one huge tear. Also reduces Tears to minimum. Damage increased . If tear does more damage than an enemy's life, the tear continues to travel with the extra remaining damage. to Isaac with base (calculated) tear delay (10) and damage (3.5). Isaac's damage is increased to 15, and his tear delay to 24. Isaac then leaves the room, his damage is decreased back to 3.5, but his tear delay remains at 24 and the effects of Polyphemus are still active. Isaac picks up The Sad OnionIncreases Tears by 0.7., his tear delay is recalculated and jumps back down to 7, but Polyphemus is still active (when a tear kills an enemy, leftover damage continues with a smaller tear).
Items not listed as modifying tear delay which this bug affects include BrimstoneTears are replaced by a laser beam that pierces through all enemies and obstacles in its path and deals high damage. Can only be fired after a short charge-up period.
, Monstro's LungIncreases damage and grants a charged shot that fires multiple tears in the same fashion as Monstro.
, and Epic FetusIsaac's tears are replaced with guided missiles, like those used by the Doctor's Remote.