| 2 rooms|
|(Page 5 , Column 3 , Row 1 )
Metronome is an activated item added in Afterbirth †.
- Grants a random item effect for the current room.
- Certain items can be activated with Metronome which have unexpected effects. Many items will do nothing. It is not clear what is intended and what is a bug.
- Items do not spawn consumables that they might when picked up normally.
- Flight ability from activated items will persist even with no cosmetic effect.
- Abaddon will not remove red hearts or grant black hearts, unlike most health-adjusting items.
- Brimstone will not disappear upon leaving a room until you use Metronome again or swap it for a different item.
- Cube of Meat granted by Potato Peeler will persist between rooms and floors, even if Metronome is used again.
- Dr. Fetus will not disappear upon leaving the room until you use Metronome again.
- If some item changes Isaac's size, it will stay the same after leaving the room or using Metronome in the same room.
- Health, coins, bombs, or keys that are granted to Isaac directly will persist.
- Using this item multiple times in the same room will replace the previous item with a new one.
- This item may also activate the effect of:
- Beware using this as The Lost, as it can trigger self-harm items and kill him.
- Metronome cannot grant the effects of itself, Plan C, or Glowing Hour Glass.
- Eden's Blessing will not grant an extra item for the next run, only its stat effects.
- Car Battery: Metronome is activated twice at once as expected, but the item chosen for the first activation is shown raised above Isaac's head, instead of the second one that actually remains active.
- The name, pickup quote, and effect of this item are a reference to the move 'Metronome' from the Pokémon franchise.
- This item works similarly to the item Dead Sea Scrolls.
Items that directly modify tear delay after its calculation
will retain their effect between rooms and floors. Stats other than tear delay associated with the item will reverse upon leaving the room. Tear delay will remain; however, the next time the stat is updated, it will revert to the correct value.
For example, Metronome is used in a room and gives Polyphemus to Isaac with base (calculated) tear delay (10) and damage (3.5). Isaac's damage is increased to 15, and his tear delay to 24. Isaac then leaves the room, his damage is decreased back to 3.5, but his tear delay remains at 24 and the effects of Polyphemus are still active. Isaac picks up The Sad Onion, his tear delay is recalculated and jumps back down to 7, but Polyphemus is still active (when a tear kills an enemy, leftover damage continues with a smaller tear).
Items not listed as modifying tear delay which this bug affects include Brimstone
, Monstro's Lung
, and Epic Fetus