If both are not unlocked, then
|This article is about the boss. For the transformation, see Yes Mother (Transformation).|
Isaac's Mom is the boss found in the second floor of the third chapter and is the final boss for the game's prologue. She is a delusional woman who believes that the hallucination she hears telling her to murder her son is the voice of God.
In Afterbirth+, defeating Mom for the first time causes mods to no longer disable achievements.
Behavior[edit | edit source]
Mom's fight takes place in the entirety of the room and always begins with Mom stomping in the center of the room. Four Boss Room doors will emerge on all four sides of the room, and Mom can attack from any of these doors. She can stomp on Isaac, which is telegraphed by a growing shadow and her screaming. All of her attacks will deal a full heart of damage. She can only be hurt by hitting her directly when she exposes her foot, eye, flesh, or hand.
Standing too close to the doors will result in Mom striking with her hand. If the player isn't in reach and she isn't using her foot stomp attack, a piece of flesh will bulge from the doors and spawn various enemies. Occasionally, she may stick her eye out of the door, which is harmless and vulnerable to being attacked by Isaac.
Mom's stomp attack can damage nearby enemies and destroy obstacles, but the foot itself does no contact damage.
Enemies spawned by Mom are:
- Frowning Gapers
- Red Maws
- Attack Flies
Once Mom is defeated, all enemies spawned by Mom will die as well.
Champion Variants[edit | edit source]
- Blue: This variant summons monsters more often and only summons various types of enemies added in the Wrath of The Lamb expansion for the original game, including Spiders, Big Spiders, Trites, Buttlickers and Keepers.
- Red: This variant does not summon monsters at all, and instead constantly uses her foot stomp. Her eyes can shoot three blood shots at the player when they emerge and she uses her hand much more often.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Mom as one of Delirium's forms.
Unlockable Achievements[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Using The Bible
item during the Mom boss fight will kill her instantly and unlock The Halo
Upon activation, Isaac gains flight, allowing him to pass over all obstacles in the current room. Instantly kills Mom, Mom's Heart, and It Lives when activated, but will kill Isaac when activated while fighting Satan.
Grants one Heart Container, +0.3 Damage, +0.2 Tears, +0.25 Range, +0.3 Speed, and +0.5 Tear Height.
- Using The High Priestess card during the fight with Mom will result in Isaac being stomped instead of the enemy with the highest health.
- Though, if done correctly, one could possibly kill Mom in one hit by using the card while next to Mom's leg.
- Mom's stomp attack counts as a bomb; this means Isaac can be immune to it with Pyromaniac
or Host Hat
Isaac heals 1 heart instead of taking damage from an explosive source. Adds 5 bombs.
A host familiar that sits on Isaac's head and has a random chance to block enemy shots and retaliate with 3 tears. Grants immunity to explosions.
- With Pyromaniac, Isaac can be healed when stomped.
- Red Mom is nearly impossible to lose against with Pyromaniac or Host Hat.
- Mom cannot damage herself with her stomp attack.
- Midas' Touch
causes Mom's foot to be turned into gold before it lands, giving the player ample time to move out of the way and place bombs or otherwise.
Enemies that touch you are stunned and turn gold. Any enemy killed while in this state will drop a coin.
- After Mom's foot touches the ground, it is safe to touch no matter what; as opposed to dealing contact damage, it is purely explosive.
- The Polaroid
is always to the left and The Negative
If the character has half a red heart or no red hearts after taking damage, it triggers the Book Of Shadows effect, creating a shield that nullifies all types of damage for 5 seconds. Also allows entrance into The Chest.
is always to the right, in case Curse Of The Blind is active.
If the character has half a red heart or no red hearts after taking damage, it triggers The Necronomicon effect, damaging all enemies in the room. Also allows entrance into the Dark Room.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Mom is one of the two bosses in the game to have a unique design for her name in the Versus screen. The other one is Brownie.
- In the original game, Mom's leg dealt a full heart of contact damage.
- Mom is the only final boss that has champion variants.
- How using the Bible kills Mom instantly is a reference on how a bible hits her head in the epilogue of the game, knocking her out or killing her.
- During the versus screen, "Isaac!" from Mom can be heard, despite the battle not starting yet. She is the only boss whose voice can be heard during the versus screen.
- If Isaac gets hurt by Mom, her laugh can be heard.
- For the Binding of Isaac: 4 Souls Credit Card reveal, the name "Magdalene O. Moriah" could be seen carved in the credit card. Edmund McMillen had confirmed that it is indeed Mom's full name.
|Chapter 1|| Blighted Ovum • Dingle • The Duke of Flies • Famine • Fistula • Gemini • Gurglings • The Haunt • Larry Jr. • Monstro • Pin • Steven • Widow |
Dangle • Little Horn • Rag Man • Turdlings
|Chapter 2|| C.H.A.D. • Chub • Dark One • Gurdy • Gurdy Jr. • The Hollow • The Husk • Mega Fatty • Mega Maw • Peep • Pestilence • Polycephalus • Carrion Queen • The Wretched |
The Forsaken • The Frail • The Stain
Big Horn • Rag Mega
|Chapter 3|| The Adversary • The Bloat • The Cage • The Gate • Gish • Loki • Mask of Infamy • Monstro II • War • Mom |
|Chapter 4|| Blastocyst • The Bloat • Conquest • Daddy Long Legs • Death • It Lives • Lokii • Mama Gurdy • Mom's Heart • Mr. Fred • Scolex • Teratoma • Triachnid |
Sisters Vis • The Matriarch
|Chapter 5||Satan • Isaac|
|Chapter 6||??? • The Lamb • Mega Satan|
|Greed Mode|| Ultra Greed |
|Chapters 1-4||The Fallen • The Headless Horseman|
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
|Achievements||Attributes||Bosses||Cards and Runes||Challenges||Chapters|