Onan's Streak is Challenge #29. Start as Judas with The Book of Belial and Chocolate Milk and a damage bonus of +2 giving him a starting damage of 8.71. Missing any shots causes Judas to take damage. Treasure rooms are present in this challenge. The goal is to defeat Isaac.
Difficulty[edit | edit source]
Not hitting anything with tears makes Judas take damage. This makes accuracy very important because missing a few shots can deplete his health very quickly. Because of that, fast-moving enemies or enemies with erratic movement patterns can prove to be very difficult in this challenge.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
- Hitting any type of poop, fire, bomb, eternal fly, white champion enemy, spike block, or Stone Grimace (stone heads) does not count as a miss.
- Hitting Red Poop with a spectral tear counts as a miss.
- If firing a tear and leave the room before it touches the wall or floor, Judas will not take any damage. This is only useful if he shoots accidentally.
- For enemies that move erratically, try and get close enough so they'll close in. Once they approach, move out of the way and shoot them once they stop.
Good Items[edit | edit source]
- Isaac's Heart completely nullifies any damage caused by missing, lowering the difficulty tremendously and turning this challenge into a standard Judas run.
- Holy Mantle nullifies 1 hit of damage per room, allowing more room for errors.
- Taking Technology 2 and never releasing the fire keys, even across floors, allows Judas to engage enemies without firing any tears.
- Tech.5 has the same effect.
- Taking Rubber Cement is recommended, as hitting a wall won't deal damage to him, and hitting the ground won't either if an enemy is hit first.
- Enemies include stone grimaces, unkillable enemies, fireplaces, poop, and bombs.
Poop is not considered an enemy if it is the first object hit.
- Proptosis allows Judas' shots to miss without dealing damage as long as they don't hit a wall or object.
- Isaac's Tears do not count as a hit/miss, and it maintains Chocolate Milk's charged damage bonus when activated, making it a safe combat alternative.
- Shots fired by the familiar with Incubus will not damage the player. When coupled with a recharging or zero cooldown item such as Magic Fingers, it will effectively give Judas a safe auto-attack. The Incubus's safe-to-miss shot will fire when the item is used, without having to fire Judas' shot.
- Dead Eye benefits from this challenge, since the player will be focused on not missing. This can allow for long streaks at high damage.
- Tractor Beam keeps tears in a straight line in front, which is very helpful for hitting many later enemies.
- Ipecac could be a nice item to have, just be careful when firing it.
- Spectral tears effect might help, since going through a rock doesn't count as missing.
- Pupula Duplex is helpful, since it gives Judas's tears a bigger hitbox, in addition to spectral tears. Flat Worm also gives a bigger hitbox.
- Similarly, Polyphemus gives tears a bigger hitbox and allows him to hit many enemies with each tear. Any Polyphemus tear that continues after hitting an enemy won't damage Judas if it lands untouched afterward.
- Continuum will help, giving spectral tears and going through the walls to get back on the other side.
- Piercing shots could be useful since the shots won't damage if at least one enemy is hit, and multiple can be hit with one shot.
- Death's Touch is especially useful because it increases the size of tears significantly, making it harder to miss, in addition to piercing and higher damage.
- Eye of Belial does not damage Judas as long as he hits at least one enemy making the item very useful.
- Unless Judas already has piercing tears, Lost Contact should generally be avoided. While blocking a shot does count as a hit, without piercing, it will also destroy the tear before it can do any damage, making bullet-heavy fights such as Mom's Heart/It Lives and Isaac extraordinarily difficult.
- Brimstone, Epic Fetus and Mom's Knife won't make Judas take damage for missing enemies.
- Mom's Wig will keep spawning friendly spiders until there's 5 of them when charging the shot.
- The same goes for the Guppy transformation or The Mulligan.
- Be careful, however, because if friendly spiders/flies kill the enemy before fired tear hits it, Judas takes damage.
- The same goes for No. 2 and Bob's Brain, as spawning bombs under Judas while charging and the explosions from the brain, respectively, can easily end the run.
- The same goes for the Guppy transformation or The Mulligan.
- Tears that have passed through an Angelic Prism familiar do not deal damage to Judas even if all the split ones miss.
- Neither Gnawed Leaf nor the shields from Book of Shadows, Celtic Cross, The Polaroid, Virgo or similar items protect Judas from missed tears.
- Watch out when using unidentified pills, as R U a Wizard? can be disastrous to the run if not extremely careful and/or lucky. Check the shops for a PHD, just in case.
- The Wafer makes the challenge much easier in The Womb and beyond, as it halves the damage dealt from missing tears.
- Any item that helps refill red heart containers such as the Yum Heart, Maggy's Bow, and The Jar will be helpful in case misses are frequent.
- Items that grant homing tears, such as Spoon Bender and Sacred Heart, can make accuracy a lot easier. Although Godhead is a bad item for this challenge (see below).
Bad Items[edit | edit source]
- Taking Tammy's Head or Sad Bombs is not recommended, as they release tears which count towards hit/miss. Since they release multiple tears at a time, they will almost unavoidably cause tears to hit the ground.
- Isaac's Tears, however, don't.
- The Tear Detonator doesn't count either.
- Taking any item that multiplies the number of tears (e.g. 20/20, The Inner Eye, Mutant Spider, Monstro's Lung, or Haemolacria) is not recommended, as Judas has to hit with every tear to not take damage.
- Similarly, taking Compound Fracture, Cricket's Body, The Parasite is not recommended, as the split tears also have to hit enemies for the player to not take damage.
- Be careful when picking up any active Book items, as picking up 3 will transform Judas into a Bookworm, periodically giving him 2 shots.
- Godhead can be dangerous, as even if the aura kills an enemy, if the shot doesn't hit an enemy or poop, it will count as a miss.
- When using Maw of the Void, keep some distance against non-boss enemies. If the ring kills an enemy before the tear hits it, it can cause Judas to miss the shot.
- Circle of Protection: Judas can take damage from tears reflected by the ring.
- Explosivo should be avoided. The Explosivo shot doesn't count as hitting the enemy until it blows up. If Judas kills an enemy with the Explosivo shot on them, the tear will fall to the ground and will damage him. Enemies that jump or teleport will also cause Explosivo shots to fall off. If the enemy with an Explosivo shot walks near a wall, the tear will disappear and will cause damage.
- Soy Milk is not recommended, as it prevents charging shots (instead, firing automatically like regular tears). Judas does get a +1 damage increase after the damage reduction but the fast fire rate will make it nearly impossible to stop tears hitting anything other than an enemy.
- Taking The Wiz is not recommended, as firing two tears simultaneously will likely cause one tear to miss.
- Taking My Reflection is not recommended, as firing a tear from a long distance causes the tear to go the opposite direction and miss unless there is an enemy behind Judas.
- Hitting a target while having Cursed Eye still damages and teleports out of the room.
- Charging shots before entering a room can kill, since it will fire a big tear followed by 3 little tears, causing damage.
- 3 Dollar Bill, Fruit Cake, and Rainbow Worm are not recommended because the changing effects will make it more likely for tears to miss.
- Using Clicker may take away Chocolate Milk, making the run significantly more difficult.
- The instant kill effect of Little Horn doesn't count as a hit, and will hurt Judas.
- Trisagion will cause Judas to take damage on every shot.
- Flat Stone will cause Judas to take damage on every tear's skip unless the tear hits an enemy before the next bounce.
- Libra will balance stats, making Judas' damage way less effective.
Reward[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The challenge's name, "Onan's Streak," and the challenge conditions are a reference to the biblical character Onan. According to Old Testament law, a man with a married, deceased brother would have the responsibility of producing an heir for his sibling. Onan knew that having this heir would prevent him from legally owning his brother's land, and so spilled his semen onto the ground. God viewed this deed as wicked and killed Onan.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
|1.||Pitch Black||2.||High Brow||3.||Head Trauma||4.||Darkness Falls||5.||The Tank||6.||Solar System||7.||Suicide King||8.||Cat Got Your Tongue|
|9.||Demo Man||10.||Cursed!||11.||Glass Cannon||12.||When Life Gives You Lemons||13.||Beans!||14.||It's in the Cards||15.||Slow Roll||16.||Computer Savvy|
|17.||Waka Waka||18.||The Host||19.||The Family Man||20.||Purist|
|21.||XXXXXXXXL||22.||SPEED!||23.||Blue Bomber||24.||PAY TO PLAY||25.||Have a Heart||26.||I RULE!||27.||BRAINS!||28.||PRIDE DAY!|
|29.||Onan's Streak||30.||The Guardian|
|31.||Backasswards||32.||Aprils Fool||33.||Pokey Mans||34.||Ultra Hard||35.||Pong|
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
|Achievements||Attributes||Bosses||Cards and Runes||Challenges||Chapters|