Major changes are coming to the Wiki! To learn more and let your voice be heard, please go here.
Additionally, we are currently experiencing some bugs and glitches. We're working on fixing them, but please be aware this means certain images, such as the collection grid for items, will be replaced by errors for the time being.
PAY TO PLAY
| Money = PowerIncreases damage by 0.04 for every coin Isaac has, up to +3.96 damage at 99 coins.|
Sack of PenniesIsaac is followed by a small bag that drops a coin every 2 rooms.
|: no : yes|
|2 new pillsComplete challenge #24|
|Defeat Isaac as CainPAY TO PLAY|
|This article is about the challenge. For the item, see Pay to Play.|
PAY TO PLAY is Challenge #24, and was added in The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth. In this challenge, you start with 50 coins, Money = PowerIncreases damage by 0.04 for every coin Isaac has, up to +3.96 damage at 99 coins., and the Sack of PenniesIsaac is followed by a small bag that drops a coin every 2 rooms.. However, every doorway is now an arcade door, and taking any damage will cause you to lose more pennies than you drop, similar to when you are attacked by Greed. Having 0 pennies will kill you and end the challenge. Your goal is to defeat Isaac. This challenge is unlocked by unlocking the Sack of Pennies, done by defeating Isaac with Cain.
Difficulty[edit | edit source]
Needing money to continue your run causes shop purchases to become much more risky, and extra coins may have to be found in addition to hearts when getting hurt.
The arcade doors in this challenge appear to be "overlaid" on the level's normal doors, even after they have been opened. In most cases, this allows you to unlock and enter rooms that normally require keys (or bombs) with a coin instead. However, certain doors are still "active", and can still damage or block the player, even after being unlocked with a coin. These doors will appear to be normal open doors, despite the effects triggering when attempting to pass through them.
- Curse Room doorways will still damage the player (without flight and/or shielding) after unlocking them with a coin, despite the absence of visible teeth around the door frame.
- Challenge Room and Boss Challenge Room doorways will still prevent the player from entering with too few or too many red hearts respectively, even after being unlocked with a coin and appearing to be an open doorway. Unlocking a door for which you have the wrong number of red hearts effectively wastes a coin (unless you plan to return later with the right number of red hearts).
- In addition, the doors to these rooms will appear to be the same as all the other doors on the level. It may be helpful to keep an eye on the mini-map to ensure that you don't needlessly lose health (and coins) to a Curse Room, or waste a coin on a Challenge Room you don't qualify for. (Bombing into these rooms appears to be unaffected.)
- Presumably because they hold 0 coins Co-op babies are killed instantly upon entering the game.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
- A QuarterAdds 25 to Isaac's coin count, capping at 99. and A DollarGives Isaac 99 coins. Can be found multiple times in a single playthrough. are fantastic items in this run, as they give you a good amount of coins. The Emperor card is useful in this challenge as it teleports you directly to the boss, preventing the loss of any coins.
- Lucky RockEach obstacle destroyed drops one coin. will allow you to gain more coins simply by destroying rocks. Combined with items such as LeoAllows you to crush rocks when you walk over them., Samson's ChainsPull a chain and ball behind you that will damage enemies on contact and is able to break stones., or Epic FetusIsaac's tears are replaced with guided missiles, like those used by the Doctor's Remote., this item becomes invaluable.
- Store CreditThe next store purchase is free. The trinket disappears on purchase., Credit Card, DiplopiaDuplicates all pickups and item pedestals in the room., Mr. ME!Summons a controllable ghost that can perform various tasks depending on what it targets., and CouponUpon use, makes a random item from a shop, devil deal, or black market free. will allow you to obtain items from the shop without spending money. Similarly, the Rune of Jera can create free copies of shop pickups.
- Finding a 2 of Diamonds card early on can potentially max out your coin count, making the run much easier.
- Blank CardHas the same effect as the card or rune currently held by Isaac. can be used to get multiple uses out of 2 of Diamonds or Credit Card.
- Additionally, if you can manage to get a Jera rune, you can use it to get infinite coins, which makes it much easier to win.
- Rune BagA bag that follows Isaac and drops a random rune every 3 rooms. is actually very helpful in this challenge, as Jera, Ehwaz, Dagaz, Ansuz, and Algiz can all be especially useful. You can find it in Secret Rooms.
- Counterfeit PennyGives a 50% chance of increasing the value of every coin pickup by one. can increase the value of found pennies. This also means that when damage causes you to drop coins, you're likely to have a net gain once you collect them.
- Piggy BankGives 3 pennies on pick-up. Every time Isaac is damaged, he will drop one additional penny. and will let you drop extra coins when hit, likely enough to stop the issue of coin loss from being hurt.
- Wooden NickelWhen used, has a 50% chance to drop one random type of coin (penny, nickel, or dime). can be used every room to try and generate coins.
- Humbling BundleGives one extra pickup (1+1 Free version) of Red Hearts, pennies, bombs, and keys. Does not work with blue, black, and half red hearts, nickels, and dimes. will keep your coin count at high levels by doubling the value of all pennies you find. The earlier you find it, the better.
- Head of the KeeperIsaac's tears become coins and now have a chance to drop pennies on the floor upon successfully hitting an enemy. gives you a chance to earn coins after defeating enemies.
- Midas' TouchEnemies that touch you are stunned and turn gold. Any enemy killed while in this state will drop a coin. can be used to turn enemies into coins.
- Glowing Hour GlassWhen used, this item will rewind time, put Isaac back in the previous room, and undo anything that happened in the current room. Any health, pickups, or items gained or lost will be reset back to the previous state. can allow you to exit dead end rooms, earning you back the coin you spent getting in.
- If you have many bombs to spare or a renewable source of explosives (such as Epic FetusIsaac's tears are replaced with guided missiles, like those used by the Doctor's Remote.), bombing through and out of Secret Rooms can save you some coins. Since rooms count as "unlocked" on all sides once they have been successfully entered and cleared of enemies (except for the Shop, which must be exited through the main door to fully unlock), you can unlock the remainder of the rooms bordering the Secret Room with bombs/explosives instead of coins.
- Items like Treasure MapReveals all rooms for every floor. However, it does not reveal icons or secret rooms. and The CompassReveals all special rooms (except secret rooms of any kind). can help you narrow down where you can go and where is likely to just be a dead end, so they can be valuable purchases from the Shop. The boss room usually appears at a dead end far away from the spawn point.
- Shops usually appear farther from the spawn point than Libraries. Both can contain useful items, but the Shop generally has better items for this challenge.
- Additionally, Guppy's TailIncreases chance of finding gold chests and normal chests, but reduces chance of finding pickups. and Mom's KeySpawns 2 keys. Generates additional pickups from chests. can provide a sustainable amount of money given that each chest opened will likely contain a large amount of coins and other consumables.
- A combination of Broken RemoteTriggers the Teleport effect whenever an activated item is used. with active items that are always charged can prevent the loss of coins to doors, which can prove to be very effective, but may cause wasted time trying to reach the room you need to reach.
Reward[edit | edit source]
|A Bag of PenniesDefeat Isaac as CainA Bag of BombsDefeat Satan as CainAbelDefeat The Lamb as CainCain's EyeDefeat ??? as CainCain's Other EyeComplete the Boss Rush as CainGlass BabyDefeat Mom's Heart on hard mode as Cain||D12Defeat Hush as CainEvil EyeDefeat Ultra Greed as CainGreen BabyDefeat Mega Satan as CainPicky BabyEarn all hard mode completion marks as CainPAY TO PLAYDefeat Isaac as Cain||Silver DollarDefeat Delirium as CainSack of SacksDefeat Ultra Greedier as Cain|
|1.||Pitch Black||2.||High Brow||3.||Head Trauma||4.||Darkness Falls||5.||The Tank||6.||Solar System||7.||Suicide King||8.||Cat Got Your Tongue|
|9.||Demo Man||10.||Cursed!||11.||Glass Cannon||12.||When Life Gives You Lemons||13.||Beans!||14.||It's in the Cards||15.||Slow Roll||16.||Computer Savvy|
|17.||Waka Waka||18.||The Host||19.||The Family Man||20.||Purist|
|21.||XXXXXXXXL||22.||SPEED!||23.||Blue Bomber||24.||PAY TO PLAY||25.||Have a Heart||26.||I RULE!||27.||BRAINS!||28.||PRIDE DAY!|
|29.||Onan's Streak||30.||The Guardian|
|31.||Backasswards||32.||Aprils Fool||33.||Pokey Mans||34.||Ultra Hard||35.||Pong|
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
|Achievements||Attributes||Bosses||Cards and Runes||Challenges||Chapters|