We are currently performing an upgrade to our software. This upgrade will bring MediaWiki from version 1.31 to 1.33. While the upgrade is being performed on your wiki it will be in read-only mode. For more information check here.
PAY TO PLAY
| Money = PowerIncreases damage by 0.04 for every coin Isaac has, up to +3.96 damage at 99 coins.|
Sack of PenniesIsaac is followed by a small bag that drops a coin every 2 rooms.
|: no : yes|
|2 new pillsComplete challenge #24|
|Defeat Isaac as CainPAY TO PLAY|
|This article is about the challenge. For the item, see Pay to Play.|
PAY TO PLAY is Challenge #24, and was added in The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth. In this challenge, Isaac starts with 50 coins, Money = PowerIncreases damage by 0.04 for every coin Isaac has, up to +3.96 damage at 99 coins., and the Sack of PenniesIsaac is followed by a small bag that drops a coin every 2 rooms.. However, every doorway is now an arcade door, and taking any damage will cause Isaac to lose more pennies than can be picked up, similar to when being attacked by Greed. Having 0 pennies will kill him and end the challenge. The goal is to defeat Isaac. This challenge is unlocked by unlocking the Sack of Pennies, done by defeating Isaac with Cain.
Difficulty[edit | edit source]
Needing money to continue the run causes shop purchases to become much more risky, and extra coins may have to be found in addition to hearts when getting hurt.
The arcade doors in this challenge appear to be "overlaid" on the level's normal doors, even after they have been opened. In most cases, this allows Isaac to unlock and enter rooms that normally require keys (or bombs) with a coin instead. However, certain doors are still "active", and can still damage or block the player, even after being unlocked with a coin. These doors will appear to be normal open doors, despite the effects triggering when attempting to pass through them.
- Curse Room doorways will still damage the player (without flight and/or shielding) after unlocking them with a coin, despite the absence of visible teeth around the door frame.
- Challenge Room and Boss Challenge Room doorways will still prevent the player from entering with too few or too many red hearts respectively, even after being unlocked with a coin and appearing to be an open doorway. Unlocking a door for which Isaac has too few red hearts effectively wastes a coin (unless it is planned to return with the right number of red hearts).
- In addition, the doors to these rooms will appear to be the same as all the other doors on the level. It may be helpful to keep an eye on the mini-map to ensure that health (and coins) aren't needlessly lost to a Curse Room, or waste a coin on a Challenge Room he cannot enter. (Bombing into these rooms appears to leave them unaffected.)
- Presumably because they hold 0 coins Co-op babies are killed instantly upon entering the game.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
- A QuarterAdds 25 to Isaac's coin count, capping at 99. and A DollarGives Isaac 99 coins. Can be found multiple times in a single playthrough. are fantastic items in this run, as they give Isaac a good amount of coins. The Emperor card is useful in this challenge as it teleports him directly to the boss, preventing the loss of any coins.
- Lucky RockEach obstacle destroyed drops one coin. will enable Isaac to gain more coins simply by destroying rocks. Combined with items such as LeoAllows you to crush rocks when you walk over them., Samson's ChainsPull a chain and ball behind you that will damage enemies on contact and is able to break stones., or Epic FetusIsaac's tears are replaced with guided missiles, like those used by the Doctor's Remote., this item becomes invaluable.
- Store CreditThe next store purchase is free. The trinket disappears on purchase., Credit Card, DiplopiaDuplicates all pickups and item pedestals in the room., Mr. ME!Summons a controllable ghost that can perform various tasks depending on what it targets., and CouponUpon use, makes a random item from a shop, devil deal, or black market free. will help Isaac obtain items from the shop for free. Similarly, the Rune of Jera can create free copies of shop pickups.
- Finding a 2 of Diamonds card early on can potentially max out the coin count, making the run much easier.
- Blank CardHas the same effect as the card or rune currently held by Isaac. can be used to get multiple uses out of 2 of Diamonds or Credit Card.
- Additionally, if the player can manage to get a Jera rune, it can be used to get infinite coins, which makes it much easier to win.
- Rune BagA bag that follows Isaac and drops a random rune every 3 rooms. is very helpful in this challenge, especially if it produces Jera, Ehwaz, or Ansuz.
- Counterfeit PennyGives a 50% chance of increasing the value of every coin pickup by one. can increase the value of found pennies. This also means that when damage causes Isaac to drop coins, it is likely to have a net gain once collected them.
- Piggy BankGives 3 pennies on pick-up. Every time Isaac is damaged, he will drop one additional penny. and Swallowed PennyUpon taking damage, Isaac drops a penny. will drop extra coins when hit, likely enough to stop the issue of coin loss from being hurt.
- Wooden NickelWhen used, has a 50% chance to drop one random type of coin (penny, nickel, or dime). can be used every room to try and generate coins.
- Humbling BundleGives one extra pickup (1+1 Free version) of Red Hearts, pennies, bombs, and keys. Does not work with blue, black, and half red hearts, nickels, and dimes. will keep the coin count at high levels by doubling the value of all pennies found. The earlier it is obtained, the better.
- Head of the KeeperIsaac's tears become coins and now have a chance to drop pennies on the floor upon successfully hitting an enemy. gives a chance to earn coins after hitting enemies.
- Midas' TouchEnemies that touch you are stunned and turn gold. Any enemy killed while in this state will drop a coin. can be used to turn enemies into coins.
- Glowing Hour GlassWhen used, this item will rewind time, put Isaac back in the previous room, and undo anything that happened in the current room. Any health, pickups, or items gained or lost will be reset back to the previous state. can allow Isaac to exit dead end rooms, earning him back the coin spent getting in.
- BFFS!Increases the size and damage of familiars. gives Sack of Pennies a 33% chance to drop a coin in rooms where it normally wouldn't.
- If the player has many bombs to spare or a renewable source of explosives (such as Epic FetusIsaac's tears are replaced with guided missiles, like those used by the Doctor's Remote.), bombing through and out of Secret Rooms can save some coins. Since rooms count as "unlocked" on all sides once they have been successfully entered and cleared of enemies (except for the Shop, which must be exited through the main door to fully unlock), the remainder of the rooms bordering the Secret Room can be unlocked with bombs/explosives instead of coins.
- Items like Treasure MapReveals all rooms for every floor. However, it does not reveal icons or secret rooms. and The CompassReveals all special rooms (except secret rooms of any kind). can help narrow down where Isaac can go and where is likely to just be a dead end, so they can be valuable purchases from the Shop. The boss room usually appears at a dead end far away from the spawn point.
- Shops usually appear farther from the spawn point than Libraries. Both can contain useful items, but the Shop generally has better items for this challenge.
- Additionally, Guppy's TailIncreases chance of finding gold chests and normal chests, but reduces chance of finding pickups. and Mom's KeySpawns 2 keys. Generates additional pickups from chests. can provide a sustainable amount of money given that each chest opened will likely contain a large amount of coins and other consumables.
- A combination of Broken RemoteTriggers the Teleport effect whenever an activated item is used. with active items that are always charged can prevent the loss of coins to doors, which can prove to be very effective, but may cause wasted time trying to reach the room desired.
Reward[edit | edit source]
|A Bag of PenniesDefeat Isaac as CainA Bag of BombsDefeat Satan as CainAbelDefeat The Lamb as CainCain's EyeDefeat ??? as CainCain's Other EyeComplete the Boss Rush as CainGlass BabyDefeat Mom's Heart on hard mode as Cain||D12Defeat Hush as CainEvil EyeDefeat Ultra Greed as CainGreen BabyDefeat Mega Satan as CainPicky BabyEarn all hard mode completion marks as CainPAY TO PLAYDefeat Isaac as Cain||Silver DollarDefeat Delirium as CainSack of SacksDefeat Ultra Greedier as Cain|
|1.||Pitch Black||2.||High Brow||3.||Head Trauma||4.||Darkness Falls||5.||The Tank||6.||Solar System||7.||Suicide King||8.||Cat Got Your Tongue|
|9.||Demo Man||10.||Cursed!||11.||Glass Cannon||12.||When Life Gives You Lemons||13.||Beans!||14.||It's in the Cards||15.||Slow Roll||16.||Computer Savvy|
|17.||Waka Waka||18.||The Host||19.||The Family Man||20.||Purist|
|21.||XXXXXXXXL||22.||SPEED!||23.||Blue Bomber||24.||PAY TO PLAY||25.||Have a Heart||26.||I RULE!||27.||BRAINS!||28.||PRIDE DAY!|
|29.||Onan's Streak||30.||The Guardian|
|31.||Backasswards||32.||Aprils Fool||33.||Pokey Mans||34.||Ultra Hard||35.||Pong|
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
|Achievements||Attributes||Bosses||Cards and Runes||Challenges||Chapters|