| 4 seconds|
| (page 3, column 4, line 3)
(page 3, column 4, line 9)
| Donate 400 coins to the Donation MachineRed Candle|
The Red Candle is an unlockable activated item.
- Upon activation, Isaac will raise the candle above his head. On pressing a fire button, a red flame, similar to a fireplace, will fire in the chosen direction that deals a maximum of 125 damage per flame.
- The flame also destroys enemy shots it comes into contact with, which decreases its size each time being hit until the flame is entirely extinguished by this process.
- The flame projectile is persistent, and will remain active in the room until it deals a set amount of damage. It can pass over Pits, but can not travel through Rocks or Poop.
- While Isaac holds the candle above his head, his movement Speed is reduced.
- Flames remain active until depleted by dealing damage to enemies or upon changing rooms.
- There is no limit to the number of fires that can be active. This is useful in situations where mob spawning can be controlled: for example, beating Boss Rush as The Lost. This is time-consuming, but can be viable if your other sources of damage are weak or unreliable.
- Boss behaviour in Boss Rush is not as predictable as in the original game, so more fires must be placed around the room.
- It will block Isaac's tears but won't burn him.
- Flames do not drop any collectibles when doused.
- Flames will destroy shopkeepers.
- When using The Ludovico TechniqueInstead of firing tears, Isaac controls one floating tear that hover over obstacles. This tear deals constant damage when held in place over an enemy., when the fire hits the tear, the tear resets and appears again on the player.
- The player's tears can also shrink the size of the flame.
- The 9 VoltReduces the charge of any Activated Items by 1. Any 1 charge items instead have timed recharges. decreases the recharge time of the item.
- The flames from this item can put out Fireplaces.
3DS The icon of Red Candle as seen on the lower 3DS screen
- The Legend of Zelda, a major inspiration for The Binding of Isaac, also has a red candle item that can be activated to create flames for burning enemies and bushes, as well as lighting dark rooms. Unlike in Isaac however, where the red candle is unlocked first, the blue candle is the inferior version of the red one, which can be activated only once per room.
- The CandleThrows out a blue flame that can pass over gaps (but not through rocks). The flame damages anything in its path. is a variation of this item unlocked after donating 900 coins, diminishing over time as opposed to contact.
- The pickup quote of this item is a reference to the catchphrase of the Human Torch, a member of the Marvel Comics Fantastic Four
PC 1TNY 7MJ0 (1st floor Shop, Purchase after getting A Quarter in 1st floor Treasure Room) (normal mode only)