| Complete 2 floors in a row without taking damageSamson|
Samson is unlocked when the player defeats two floors in a row without taking any damage.
Samson starts with 3 red heart containers and Bloody LustIncreases damage as Isaac receives damage. Damage increase stays for the whole floor.. Every time Samson is dealt damage, he receives a damage boost that resets when he goes down a floor.
Samson will start with the Child's HeartIncreases the chance of a Heart dropping after clearing a room, and the chance of finding a Heart when opening a Chest. trinket after completing the Ultra Hard challenge.
- Samson gains damage from being hurt as opposed to killing enemies, and as such, possesses a play style which is fairly similar to Eve. Therefore, using Devil beggars, Sacrifice Rooms and Blood Donation Machines synergizes very well with Samson.
- Samson starts with a lower Tear stat. Try to seek items that increase it.
- Dying as Samson and then respawning as another character ( Lazarus' RagsUpon dying, resurrect as Revived Lazarus with one heart container and Anemic item., AnkhUpon death, the player will respawn as ??? with 3 soul hearts., etc.) won't cost you Samson's inherent Bloody LustIncreases damage as Isaac receives damage. Damage increase stays for the whole floor. item.
- Any items that increase health so he can take more damage before dying.
- Any items that increase tear stat, such as SqueezyIncreases tears by 0.4, and spawns 2 Soul Hearts pickups., Odd Mushroom+1.7 tears, +0.3 speed, reduces damage....
- Items relying on contact damage like The VirusInflicts poison to enemies who make contact with Isaac. Speed down. or E ColiGives "Turdy Touch" Effect. Enemies that touch Isaac are changed into poop. can also be beneficial.
- Health regeneration items like Yum HeartRestores 1 whole red heart. and PlacentaGrants a full heart container, and a chance to regenerate a half-heart of health every minute of gameplay. allow health regeneration after taking damage.
- CancerAdds 3 soul hearts. Grants The Wafer effect for the current room upon taking damage. and The WaferAll sources of damage that would cause more than one half heart of damage are reduced to one half heart instead. minimize damage taken from Sacrifice Rooms, and can be incredibly useful to build a lot of damage, especially in combination with an excess of hearts.
- Dead BirdSpawns a flying familiar for the current room that chases enemies whenever Isaac takes damage., Best BudWhen hit, summons a white attack fly similar to Distant Admiration for the current room., Smart FlyAfter Isaac takes damage, this fly will deal continuous touch damage to whatever enemy caused the damage until it is dead. The fly will then systematically attack 1 enemy at a time until the room is cleared., etc: All of these items will add to Samson's damage increase from getting hurt, although, unlike Bloody Lust, the bonus of these items only last for the duration of a room.
- Fanny PackHas a chance to drop a random pickup when Isaac takes damage.'s chance of dropping a heart upon hit can cancel out damage to Samson while also buffing him.
- Dull RazorHurts Isaac without depleting health, activating any items that trigger upon taking damage. can safely provide Samson's damage boost without needing to actually take damage.
- GimpyHas a chance of spawning a soul heart or black heart when taking damage. Enemies have a chance to drop a Half Red Heart after being killed. increases benefits from taking damage and feasibly adds more survivability from random soul hearts and half-heart drops.
- Immaculate ConceptionUpon picking up a certain amount of health, spawn a permanent angelic familiar. and Cambion ConceptionAfter taking damage a certain amount of times, a permanent demonic familiar spawns. will produce familiars as Samson heals or receives damage, respectively.
- IV BagUpon activation, Isaac loses a half-heart (one whole heart in The Womb onwards) for a random amount of coins, similar to the blood donation machine., Blood RightsDamages all enemies in the room, but deals a heart of damage to Isaac with each use., Razor BladeUpon use, deals one heart of damage to Isaac and grants +1.2 damage for the current room., Sharp PlugUsing an activated item while it's not charged will charge it and Sharp Plug does 2 full heart damage to Isaac., Kamikaze!Creates an explosion in the same area as Isaac, dealing half a heart of damage to him and also damaging all enemies caught in the blast radius.: Activating their effects also give Samson a boost in damage since they damage the player.
- Anything which lowers health, such as Dead CatSets the amount of red heart containers to 1, but gives Isaac 9 extra lives. After dying, Isaac is teleported to the last safe room. New heart containers can be obtained after picking up this item, but after each death, the number of heart containers is set to 1 again. can make purposeful self damage less reliable as a damage booster.
- In the Bible, Samson was a supernaturally strong warrior who derived his power from his Nazarite vow, entitling immense strength to Samson if he did not cut his hair.
- A strange detail, considering Samson's Lock (Meaning lock of hair) is an unlockable item, implying the Samson we see isn't at his full potential.
- Samson first appeared in the Binding of Isaac: Wrath of the Lamb expansion. That version had only 1 heart container and a soul heart for his starting health, and his Bloody Lust item acted like the Lusty Blood item, re-added in Afterbirth.
- Samson was originally unlocked by skipping two Treasure Rooms and killing Mom in one run.