A Stone Grimace is an invincible stationary statue of a head, with a wide open mouth and hollow eyes. Stone Grimaces will sporadically spit a red bullet in Isaac's direction until the room is cleared of regular enemies. When the room is cleared, the Stone Grimace closes its eyes and mouth.
| || |
Can replace a normal Stone Grimace
The Vomit Grimace
fires explosive Ipecac
-like shots. Like Stone Grimaces, Vomit Grimaces will stop firing at Isaac when the room is cleared.
The Gaping Maw sucks Isaac towards it, along with warping Isaac's and any enemies' tear paths. It does not fire any shots and simply functions as an obstacle, and is often surrounded by spikes. Gaping Maws can be deactivated by Silver Buttons.
- If a Gaping Maw is rerolled with D10, it will turn always into an Oob.
A broken variant of the Gaping Maw. It alternates between active and inactive every four seconds and has a much stronger attraction power. They can be deactivated from Silver Buttons.
Constant Stone Shooters constantly fire tears in a fixed direction, and do not stop firing even after the room is cleared. The exception is rooms with silver buttons, which deactivate them once they are all pressed.
Cross Grimaces were added in Booster Pack #4.
The Cross Grimace constantly fires tears in four directions, alternating between cardinal and diagonal directions. If the room has to be cleared (e.g, Buttons, enemies) then Cross Grimaces will deactivate upon the room's completion like a regular Grimace. However, if the room is purely trap based and does not present an objective to complete then Cross Grimaces will continue shooting indefinitely.
Found only in Sheol
, the Brimstone Grimace
periodically shoots Brimstone
lasers and does not stop firing even after the room is cleared.
The exception is pressing all Silver Buttons, which deactivate them.
The Stone Eye
resembles the Bloodshot Eye
. It constantly rotates in a clockwise circle and shoots a flickering Technology
-like laser. It stops firing after the room is cleared. Unlike any other Stone Grimace variants, the Stone Eye appears to despawn when the room is cleared, exited and then re-entered.
- These monsters can be destroyed using Chaos Card, Little Horn, and Euthanasia, though they will respawn upon leaving and re-entering the room they were in.
- With Infestation 2, killing Stone Grimaces creates a Blue Spider, allowing blue spiders to be farmed by leaving and re-entering the room.
- Fire Mind tears that hit these monsters can still cause explosions.
- Hitting Grimaces increases the Dead Eye damage multiplier.
- Grimaces can appear in rooms with silver buttons, and will stop shooting once all buttons are pressed.
- If an uncleared room has Cross Grimaces, leaving and then re-entering the room by bombing a door will make them stop shooting, making the room easier.
- Stone Grimaces and their variants play their appear animation for a second before resuming as deactivated in a cleared room if they were deactivated.
- They now no longer reuse their appear animation in a cleared room when the player reenters it.
- If a Constant Stone Shooter is deactivated, it closes its eyes and mouth and stops crying, looking similar to Stone Grimaces upon deactivation. The difference is that deactivated Constant Stone Shooters still have a crack on top of their heads.
- If a Gaping Maw or Broken Gaping Maw is deactivated, unlike other Grimaces, it doesn’t fully close its eyes. Instead, it closes its eyes only partially and makes a frown.
- Previously, Broken Gaping Maws were extremely hard to find. As of Booster Pack #5, they are now more common to find in rooms and have a chance of replacing Gaping Maws.