Major changes are coming to the Wiki! To learn more and let your voice be heard, please go here.
Additionally, we are currently experiencing some bugs and glitches. We're working on fixing them, but please be aware this means certain images, such as the collection grid for items, will be replaced by errors for the time being.
Strange Attractor is a passive item.
Effect[edit | edit source]
- Monsters, pickups, and trinkets are magnetically attracted to the player character's tears.
- This also applies to Isaac's bombs.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Extra caution must be taken when using this item, as the attraction effect will pull small, lightweight monsters like Boom Flies towards the character very fast and in an unpredictable manner, with the consequent risk of taking damage.
Synergies[edit | edit source]
- BrimstoneTears are replaced by a laser beam that pierces through all enemies and obstacles in its path and deals high damage. Can only be fired after a short charge-up period.: Enemies and pickups are sucked towards the beam, increasing accuracy significantly.
- Dr. FetusTears are replaced by bombs that benefit from bomb-enhancing effects and slide for a fixed time after being fired.: Enemies are sucked towards bombs, increasing accuracy and making enemies easier to kill.
- GodheadIncreases damage and range while reducing tears and shot speed. Grants homing tears and tears gain a damaging halo.: Enemies will be pulled into Godhead's damaging aura, increasing the aura's effectiveness at causing damage.
- IpecacReplaces tears with explosive and poisoning projectiles fired in an arc from the mouth.: Enemies and pickups are pulled towards the shots, increasing accuracy. Color of shots and explosive effect is a darker green.
- Mom's KnifeIsaac's tears are replaced by a knife that pierces enemies, can travel through obstacles, and can hurt enemies while Isaac is holding it. Holding down the fire button before firing increases its range and power.: Enemies are pulled towards the knife. The effect is minor while not firing and much stronger while the knife is launched.
- TechnologyReplaces tears with a piercing laser with unlimited range./ Technology 2Decreases damage and replaces right eye tears with a unlimited range, piercing laser which fires continuously./ Tech.5Grants a unlimited range piercing laser with random rate of fire that does not replace tears. The laser might occasionally fire with the effect of a random item or trinket, such as Hook Worm, Spoon Bender or Tiny Planet.: The beam will attract enemies, often sucking them into the beam and holding them there.
- Tech XTears are replaced with laser rings that pierce through enemies and deal damage to enemies within them. Can be charged to increase the size of the ring.: Enemies and pickups are attracted to the outer ring, increasing accuracy.
- The Ludovico TechniqueInstead of firing tears, Isaac controls one floating tear that hover over obstacles. This tear deals constant damage when held in place over an enemy.: Enemies, items, and even most bosses will be sucked to the single floating tear, dealing constant damage while keeping Isaac well away from harm, making this combination extremely effective in almost all scenarios.
- One such exceptional scenario is with shot splitting items such as The ParasiteIsaac's tears split in two when they hit something.. The rapid expansion of tears (especially if the split tears can themselves split tears) results in an enormous, unpredictable explosion of enemy movement, often throwing enemies directly into the player.
Interactions[edit | edit source]
- Cricket's BodyGrants -1 Tear Delay and reduces Range. When tears hit an object or deplete their range, they spawn 4 smaller tears, whose Range and Damage scale with Isaac's./ Compound FractureIncreases range. Tears turn into bones, which shatter into 1-3 bone shards upon hitting an enemy or obstacle.: Since tears will split into more tears, all travelling different directions, enemies will be randomly moved around.
- Epic FetusIsaac's tears are replaced with guided missiles, like those used by the Doctor's Remote.: Overrides Strange Attractor.
- ExplosivoIsaac's tears have a chance to stick to enemies and explode.: Enemies will be pulled toward the stuck on tears, dragging them helplessly or grouping them for the explosion.
- HaemolacriaTears are now fired in an arc. Upon hitting the floor, an obstacle, or an enemy, they burst into many smaller tears in all directions. Increases tear delay.: Enemies and pickups are attracted to the main tear, but not burst tears.
- LachryphagyIsaac's tears decelerate as they travel. Upon stopping or hitting an obstacle, they burst into 8 tears in all directions. Tears can be fired into other tears to feed them, increasing their damage.: Enemies will often get sucked into tears, making it more difficult to feed tears or let them burst. Otherwise, functions as expected.
- Monstro's LungIncreases damage and grants a charged shot that fires multiple tears in the same fashion as Monstro.: Due to the high concentration of tears, enemies will be pulled into Isaac at great force; in certain cases, enough force will be generated to pull enemies through rocks.
- The ParasiteIsaac's tears split in two when they hit something.: Enemies will be pulled towards both fired tears and split tears. However, because they both travel in opposite directions, the split tears' magnetic effects tend to cancel each other out.
- Rubber CementTears bounce off walls, enemies, and environmental objects.: Due to tears being reflected back, enemies tend to be pulled towards you with much force. Additionally the random angle of tears being reflected results in erratic enemy movement. Not recommended.
- Soy MilkTears shrink and do much less damage, but fire in very rapid succession.: The rapid tears will pull enemies quickly and erratically around the room. Not recommended.
- Yes Mother (Transformation): Enemies, consumables, and trinkets will be weakly pulled towards the knife that trails behind the player.
In-game Footage[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Most likely based on Crazy Aaron's Magnetic Thinking Putty, which has a color of the same name and the tears resemble it.
- Strange Attractor is also a mathematical concept found in dynamical linear systems.
- This item is used in Challenge #17 (Waka Waka).
Seeds[edit | edit source]
LSWD Z9J8 (Treasure room adjacent to spawn)
DGLC R2Q9 (Treasure room adjacent to spawn)
P826 3Z71 (Treasure room adjacent to spawn)
NB4V 1CDX (Treasure room adjacent to spawn)
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
|Achievements||Attributes||Bosses||Cards and Runes||Challenges||Chapters|