Tech X is a passive item added in Afterbirth.
Effects[edit | edit source]
- Isaac's tears are replaced with ring shaped lasers.
- Shots can be charged to increase the size of the rings.
- Only the outer circumference of the rings will deal damage.
- Rings pass through obstacles and enemies.
- Rings have infinite range and will travel until they hit a wall.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The rings are similar in appearance to the combination of The Ludovico TechniqueInstead of firing tears, Isaac controls one floating tear that hover over obstacles. This tear deals constant damage when held in place over an enemy. and TechnologyReplaces tears with a piercing laser with unlimited range..
- The laser rings will linger for a brief moment upon touching a wall, allowing more damage to be dealt to enemies closer to walls.
- The "R U A WIZARD?" pill effect does not work with Tech X.
- Charging only increases size, not damage. It is useful for hard-to-hit enemies, or hitting a wide area at once, but spamming small, uncharged shots will lead to much higher damage output.
Synergies[edit | edit source]
- 20/20Grants double shot.: Shoots two rings instead of one.
- BrimstoneTears are replaced by a laser beam that pierces through all enemies and obstacles in its path and deals high damage. Can only be fired after a short charge-up period.: Fires a brimstone circle instead of a tech circle.
- Azazel: Picking up Brimstone will still override Tech X. When you pick up Tech X as Azazel with his inherited Brimstone, Tech X does nothing at all.
- As Azazel, Brimstone no longer overrides Tech X, and the two interact normally.
- Brimstone + TechnologyReplaces tears with a piercing laser with unlimited range.: The damage boost from Brimstone+Technology is lost, but the laser fires while charging the brimstone ring.
- Azazel: Picking up Brimstone will still override Tech X. When you pick up Tech X as Azazel with his inherited Brimstone, Tech X does nothing at all.
- Chocolate MilkGrants charged tears that deal greater damage when fully charged.: Reduce the charge time. No effects on damage.
- The Common ColdAdds a chance to shoot poison tears, dealing damage over time when inflicted.: The laser ring becomes green and inflicts poison.
- Continuum+2.25 Range Up. +1.5 Tear Height. Isaac's tears travel through walls and appear out of the opposite wall. Isaac's tears also travel over rocks and objects.: The ring will go over the wall and come out the opposite one.
- Continuum + IncubusA demonic familiar that follows Isaac and shoots tears identical to Isaac's in terms of damage, range, fire rate, and effects.: Incubus's laser rings cannot go through walls.
- DiplopiaDuplicates all pickups and item pedestals in the room.: Picking up 2 copies of Tech X will cause two rings to fire instead of one, similar to the 20/20 effect.
- Dr. FetusTears are replaced by bombs that benefit from bomb-enhancing effects and slide a fixed range after being fired.: Shoots a laser ring with a bomb in the middle. Overrides the charging effect, replacing it with normal firing mode. Sometimes killed enemies will drop black hearts.
- Epic FetusIsaac's tears are replaced with guided missiles, like those used by the Doctor's Remote.: Each missile shoots 10 laser beams like from TechnologyReplaces tears with a piercing laser with unlimited range. in each direction, similar to Tammy's Head.
- Eve's MascaraDoubles damage, halves tears stat, and greatly reduces shot speed.: Laser rings move slower, increasing damage as enemies spend more time in the laser. Rings also appear thicker.
- Lazy WormTear shot speed is greatly reduced.: Slows the ring, increasing damage as enemies spend more time in the laser.
- Lost ContactEvery tear has a small shield which will allow it to block one enemy projectile.: The rings have a chance to block enemy shots.
- Maw of the Void+1.0 Damage Up. After continuously firing tears for 2.5 seconds, a red cross appears on Isaac's head that, upon releasing the fire button, creates a black ring that rapidly deals damage equal to Isaac's tear damage to any enemies in contact with it.: If charged for long enough, a cross-shaped marker will appear on the goggles and the black aura will activate upon release of the attack keys.
- Mom's EyeshadowTears have a chance to charm enemies.: Adds the charm effect to the laser ring.
- Mom's KnifeIsaac's tears are replaced by a knife that pierces enemies, can travel through obstacles, and can hurt enemies while Isaac is holding it. Holding down the fire button before firing increases its range and power.: Simultaneously fires the knife and laser ring(s).
- Mom's Knife + IncubusA demonic familiar that follows Isaac and shoots tears identical to Isaac's in terms of damage, range, fire rate, and effects.: Allows the Incubus to fire laser rings as fast as the player can press and release the fire button.
- Mom's Knife + BrimstoneTears are replaced by a laser beam that pierces through all enemies and obstacles in its path and deals high damage. Can only be fired after a short charge-up period.: Fires the knife and a brimstone ring, then a barrage of knives depending on how long it was charged.
- Monstro's LungIncreases damage and grants a charged shot that fires multiple tears in the same fashion as Monstro.: Extra laser rings with different sizes depending on how long Isaac charges it are fired, will increase charge time.
- Mutant SpiderGrants quadruple shot but decreases tears.: Shoots four rings instead of one.
- Pupula DuplexTransforms Isaac's tears into a wide arc shape which gives them a much larger hitbox. Gives Isaac spectral tears which allows them to travel through objects in the environment (i.e. rocks).: Increases the size of the rings.
- Soy MilkTears shrink and do much less damage, but fire in very rapid succession.: Charges up extremely quickly, almost as fast as you can press the button. Greatly reduces damage per ring. (Tendinitis warning!)
- Spoon BenderGrants Isaac homing tears.: While the rings won't home in on enemies, they will bend inwards to hit enemies within each ring, resulting in a substantial damage area increase.
- Strange AttractorPickups, trinkets, and monsters are magnetically attracted to Isaac's tears.: Magnetic effect pulls pickups and objects to the edge of the ring, increasing accuracy.
- TechnologyReplaces tears with a piercing laser with unlimited range./ Tech.5Grants a unlimited range piercing laser with random rate of fire that does not replace tears. The laser might occasionally fire with the effect of a random item or trinket, such as Hook Worm, Spoon Bender or Tiny Planet.: Equips both laser systems.
- Technology 2Decreases damage and replaces right eye tears with a unlimited range, piercing laser which fires continuously.: Equips both laser systems with the damage down from Technology 2.
- The Inner EyeGrants triple shot but decreases tears.: Shoots three rings instead of one.
- Wiggle WormGives Isaac's shots a wave-like trajectory.: Replaces the outer laser ring with a star-shaped oval, slightly increasing its area of effect.
Interactions[edit | edit source]
- Anti-Gravity-2 Tear Delay. Tears float in position until firing ceases, after which they will fly off in the direction they were shot in.: Overridden by Tech X. Tear delay reduced as usual.
- Apple!Increases tears. Adds a chance to fire a high-damage razor blade.: Overridden by Tech X.
- Azazel: Azazel's brimstone overrides Tech X.
- Tech X overrides Azazel's brimstone.
- Cricket's BodyGrants -1 Tear Delay and reduces Range. When tears hit an object or deplete their range, they spawn 4 smaller tears, whose Range and Damage scale with Isaac's./ The ParasiteIsaac's tears split in two when they hit something./ Compound FractureIncreases range. Tears turn into bones, which shatter into 1-3 bone shards upon hitting an enemy or obstacle.: Overridden by Tech X, except for Compound Fracture where only the stat effects apply.
- Cursed EyeGrants charged tears that can be fired in a tight burst of four. Getting hit while charging will teleport Isaac into another room.: Overridden by Tech X. Will still teleport the player if hit when charging, however.
- Death's TouchIncreases Damage by 1.5, reduces Tears by 0.3 and increases tear size. Grants piercing tears. Tears are replaced by Death's scythes, which is a cosmetic effect only.: Overridden by Tech X. Keep stat changes.
- Evil EyeWhile firing tears, Isaac has a chance to fire an eye across the screen with a very slow shot speed, which will fire tears of its own in the same direction as Isaac. The eye will be destroyed if it comes into contact with an enemy or obstacle.: Overridden by Tech X.
- EuthanasiaAdds a chance to fire needles. If a needle kills an enemy, it bursts into more needles.: Overridden by Tech X.
- ExplosivoIsaac's tears have a chance to stick to enemies and explode.: Overridden by Tech X.
- Fire MindGrants flaming tears that deal burning damage over time. Tears have a chance to explode on impact with an enemy, which creates a fire at the location of the explosion.: Overrides the explosion chance, but laser rings have a chance to set enemies on fire.
- Flat StoneTears bounce off the floor. Tears that hit an enemy after bouncing deal splash damage to all nearby enemies for 25% of Isaac's tear damage.: The ring will not bounce.
- Fruit CakeIsaac's tears gain a random effect that changes every shot.: Overridden by Tech X.
- Goat HeadA Devil Room / Angel Room Door will always spawn after every boss fight, excluding the first floor and floors after Utero II/Womb II.: Hides the goggles, making it visually impossible to judge the charging.
- Charge bars can be enabled to counteract this.
- GodheadIncreases damage and range while reducing tears and shot speed. Grants homing tears and tears gain a damaging halo.: Damaging halo effect lost, behavior of rings identical to Spoon BenderGrants Isaac homing tears. synergy.
- God's FleshTears now have a random chance to apply a shrinking effect, causing enemies to shrink in size and also run away from Isaac. Shrunk enemies can be crushed and killed by walking over them.: Shots still randomly have shrinking effect, but these special shots are no longer visually indicated.
- HaemolacriaTears are now fired in an arc. Upon hitting the floor, an obstacle, or an enemy, they burst into many smaller tears in all directions. Increases tear delay.: Overrides Tech X.
- Head of the KeeperIsaac's tears become coins and now have a chance to drop pennies on the floor upon successfully hitting an enemy.: Overridden by Tech X.
- Holy LightIsaac has a random chance to fire a Holy tear, which, when it hits an enemy, will spawn a Crack the Sky-style light beam on the same enemy, dealing damage.: Overridden by Tech X.
- IpecacReplaces tears with explosive and poisoning projectiles fired in an arc from the mouth.: Overridden by Tech X. Lose the damage bonus given by Ipecac on next room. Still poisons enemies like Ipecac does.
- +4 damage and poisons enemies.
- IncubusA demonic familiar that follows Isaac and shoots tears identical to Isaac's in terms of damage, range, fire rate, and effects.: The rings fired by the Incubus have a fixed size; charging the ring will only increase the size of the player's own rings.
- LachryphagyIsaac's tears decelerate as they travel. Upon stopping or hitting an obstacle, they burst into 8 tears in all directions. Tears can be fired into other tears to feed them, increasing their damage.: Overridden by Tech X.
- Lead PencilAfter every 15 tears fired, Isaac will fire a high-damage cluster of tears.: Does not work with Tech X.
- Little HornAdds a chance to fire a piercing tear that instantly kills any enemy that it touches.: Overridden by Tech X.
- Loki's HornsGives a random chance for projectiles to fire in all 4 cardinal directions.: Overridden by Tech X.
- The Ludovico TechniqueInstead of firing tears, Isaac controls one floating tear that hover over obstacles. This tear deals constant damage when held in place over an enemy.: Overridden by Tech X.
- A Lump of CoalThe more distance tears travel, the more damage they will do.: Damage and size of the ring increases the further away it is from the player, but is actually roughly 2/3rds of base damage up close. It takes a few tiles of distance to reach normal damage and go above it, with the maximum being 1.5x at roughly a room's width away.
- MarkedIsaac will now fire tears automatically directed at a red target on the ground which is controlled by the player. This allows for a full 360 degree tear firing radius. Can be overridden by other tear modifiers such as Mom's Knife or Brimstone.: Change in targeting overridden by Tech X.
- Mom's EyeAllows Isaac to fire tears from the back of his head.: Overridden by Tech X.
- My ReflectionGives Isaac's tears a boomerang effect, and increases range and shot speed.: Increases the speed of the laser ring. Overrides boomerang effect.
- PolyphemusMakes Isaac shoot one huge tear. Also reduces Tears to minimum. Damage increased . If tear does more damage than an enemy's life, the tear continues to travel with the extra remaining damage.: Increases damage and decreases tears.
- ProptosisTears start out massive with high damage, and then shrink down and become weaker over a short range.: The ring's damage and size substantially increase, but decreases the further it travels.
- Pop!Replaces Isaac's tears with eyeballs that can bounce off of each other. The eyeballs are not limited by range, and will instead dissipate when they stop moving or when hitting an enemy or obstacle.: Overridden by Tech X.
- Rubber CementTears bounce off walls, enemies, and environmental objects.: The ring will not bounce.
- Sulfuric AcidIncreases damage. Adds a chance to fire acidic tears which can destroy obstacles.: Overridden by Tech X.
- Technology ZeroConnects Isaac's tears with electricity that can damage enemies.: Tech X overrides Technology Zero.
- Tiny PlanetRange up and makes shot tears revolve around Isaac until they drop.: Overridden by Tech X.
- Tough LoveAdds a chance to shoot a tooth instead of a tear, which deals greater damage than regular tears.: Overridden by Tech X.
- Tractor BeamIsaac emits a beam from his face. Isaac's tears travel in the path of the beam.: Tech X overrides the beam. Any previous effects rendered moot by Tractor Beam (e.g. The Wiz) will return.
- TrisagionTears are replaced with piercing white blasts of light.: Overridden by Tech X.
- The WizTears simultaneously fire out of both eyes diagonally, similar to the effect of the R U A Wizard? pill. Isaac's tears also travel above all obstacles.: Shoots two rings diagonally simultaneously.
In-game Footage[edit | edit source]
Seeds[edit | edit source]
HQSM WLSE (Treasure room above spawn)
Q2PY 8Q7N (Treasure room adjacent to spawn)
NDWL 802D (First Floor Treasure Room, Brimstone during Mom fight and Mutant Spider on second floor)
484V V23S (Treasure room next to spawn, Three Guppy items can be found in devil deals before the mom fight)
9T79 9VOF (Treasure room adjacent to spawn)
7Y4F LLBG (First floor treasure room) (Both modes)
DEBT K816 (Treasure room adjacent to spawn, 3 Guppy items in Devil Rooms before Caves 2)
4TXG EHPM (First floor treasure room)
DKAK WGCN (First floor treasure room, Sacred Heart in Caves 2 angel room)
2E8T QRM0 (Treasure room Necropolis II, D6 Roll Papa Fly)
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
|Achievements||Attributes||Bosses||Cards and Runes||Challenges||Chapters|