Major changes are coming to the Wiki! To learn more and let your voice be heard, please go here.
Additionally, we are currently experiencing some bugs and glitches. We're working on fixing them, but please be aware this means certain images, such as the collection grid for items, will be replaced by errors for the time being.
The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (Pre-Release)
|This article contains info on upcoming content.|
This information was obtained from teasers or unreleased demos and is not representative of the final product. This article will need to be checked for quality and updated once the content is released.
|This article is incomplete. Please help to improve it, or discuss the issue on the talk page.
Issues: As this is information relating to unreleased content, there may be more information planned to be released by the developers in the following months.
- 1 August
- 2 September
- 3 October
- 4 November
- 5 January
- 6 February
- 7 March
- 8 April
- 9 May
The following information/confirmations of The Binding of Isaac: Repentance, an upcoming DLC set to be released in 2019, has been collected:
August[edit | edit source]
August 30th (Reveal)[edit | edit source]
A "title reveal" for a new expansion was released by Nicalis on Youtube.
The trailer revealed the title of the expansion and its logo - strikingly similar to that of The Binding of Isaac: Antibirth, a fan-made expansion of the game that received critical acclaim from the community but despite popular demand seemed to have little chance of being brought to the official game at the time.
Additionally, it was announced on Twitter that Repentance would be available for play at the PAX West 2018 Convention.
August 31st[edit | edit source]
The demo version of Repentance playable at PAX confirmed suspicions that the expansion would indeed be a port of Antibirth. Original content from the mod that led to this conclusion as well as brand new content in Repentance that were discovered in the demo included:
- The "Downpour" floor from Antibirth, as well as a brand new sewer-themed floor "Dross" (assumed to be an alternate floor of Downpour)
- New items, such as:
- Giant Cell
- Vade Retro
- Spin to Win
- Returning Items from Antibirth:
- New enemies:
- A Dross variant of Squirt
- A green fly (later seen in Kil's gameplay footage).
- A Downpour variant of Pacer that has a chance to be spawned from Blurbs upon death.
- New bosses:
- A new boss in the "Dross" floor (Name Later To Be Confirmed As Clog)
- As well as recurring enemies and bosses from Antibirth:
- Returning Obstacles from Antibirth:
September[edit | edit source]
September 1st[edit | edit source]
- The Repentance DLC is officially announced to include the Antibirth mod alongside a ton of other new content - Edmund affirms it is "the FINAL (for real this time) DLC for isaac".
- Edmund will be working with the full team of Antibirth developers (Public Entertainment Networked Interactive Software - also known as P.E.N.I.S), Kilburn, LeatherIceCream, and NotYourSagittarius, on the Repentance DLC, which will also be published by Nicalis.
- Repentance, as a substantial addition to the game, will cost money.
- Repentance has no set release date yet - however, remaining Booster Packs are being worked on and expected to release within the next 2 months on console.
- Repentance will feature a new cutscene(s) & lore in the Isaac story.
- Repentance's soundtrack will be fully composed by original Isaac: Rebirth music composer Ridiculon (in name of cohesiveness) and not Antibirth soundtrack composer Mudeth, contrary to expectation of a full port of the mod's content - Mudeth adds that he will finish working on his own soundtrack nevertheless, but that it will have to be modded in instead.
September 3rd[edit | edit source]
September 4th[edit | edit source]
Video footage of _Kilburn playing the Repentance demo on the last day of PAX West is recorded and uploaded to YouTube by a member of the community.
- A mechanic of the Dross floor is demonstrated - there are rooms with rushing water that will actively affect Isaac's movement
- New item revealed:
- Plum Flute
- New enemies:
- Previously described green variant of an Attack Fly that moves in a single file along with other green flies.
- Variant of Mulligan that chases the player and periodically spits out poison gas.
- A round Dip variant in Dross that does short rolls randomly around the room, spawned by Dross Squirts upon death and Clog.
- A humanoid enemy in Dross that floats and chases Isaac. Surrounded by Attack Flies.
- Video footage of Clog's attacks and tactics in his battle.
- As well as more recurring enemies from Antibirth:
September 6th[edit | edit source]
This gif is of Cain in Downpour firing a total of 2 large tears in a shape of fists. This gif reveals:
- An Antibirth item called Knockout Drops, which had also been seen in the list of picked up items in the previous gameplay.
- A new tear visual, possibly a synergy with My Reflection and Pupula Duplex.
- A new version of the item tracker can be seen on the right with smaller item icons then the version in afterbirth +.
September 10th[edit | edit source]
September 19th[edit | edit source]
Edmund McMillen posted a couple of status report tweets where he announced Antibirth content and the new paths are being currently ported and polished, and that new content for the DLC is planned once that task is complete.
September 20th[edit | edit source]
October[edit | edit source]
October 8th[edit | edit source]
October 9th[edit | edit source]
Tyrone Rodriguez posted another tweet with the "#IsaacRepentanceDev" hashtag showing a new gif.
This reveals the attacks of the floating enemy that has Attack Flies surrounding it. It appears to cough up small gas and will release a large cloud of poison to push the Attack Flies far away, similar to The Duke Of Flies, although the Attack Flies appear to return to floating around it. The gameplay also reveals the Antibirth version of HUD, a new rune that can be seen dropping next to Eve at the end of the video, who has a new hair sprite for her Whore of Babylon state, and possibly a new sprite for Clicker. Finally, the tears fired by Eve appear to be shaped as a round circle instead of a pixel polygon.
November[edit | edit source]
November 8th[edit | edit source]
November 15th[edit | edit source]
January[edit | edit source]
January (unknown date)[edit | edit source]
Edmund McMillen posts an image on twitter that is quickly deleted.
January 21st[edit | edit source]
In a Twitter Q&A, Edmund McMillen confirmed that The Witness will be in the game, although it'll probably have a name change. Two returning characters from the Binding of Isaac: Antibirth, Bethany and Jacob & Esau, are most likely being added in to the game. Addtionally, Edmund confirmed that true local co-op could be added in as well. Finally, Edmund clarifies while that a couple of redundant items got cut most of the changes to items are just edits.
February[edit | edit source]
February 13th[edit | edit source]
February 18th[edit | edit source]
Edmund McMillen posted a tweet once again reconfirming that the DLC would be delayed, while also including a grayscale picture of what appears to be Isaac fighting a new monster in the Basement.
- Interestingly, this monster had been teased in a tweet Edmund had posted back in January that he quickly deleted soon after posting.
February 26th[edit | edit source]
This reveals the Mines, a floor from the Binding Of Isaac: Antibirth. The room features a Bomb Grimace, which spits out a Red Bomb for Isaac to use to break rocks and access the Silver Button to clear the room. The featured obstacles of the room are 2 Constant Stone Shooters, vertically on minecarts on railroad tracks. Additionally, Magdalene is holding what appears to be a bloody PhD item, as well as the Broken Padlock trinket.
February 27th[edit | edit source]
Though in the format of a meme, this screenshot showcases shadows on item pedestals, a returning feature from Flash.
March[edit | edit source]
March 4[edit | edit source]
March 16th[edit | edit source]
March 20th[edit | edit source]
Edmund McMillen tweets that the team is aiming to release Repentance sometime this year, with more teases to be released after Bumbo. He also states in another tweet that Jacob's Ladder from Antibirth will be renamed in order to avoid naming conflicts with the already existing Jacob's LadderTears fire sparks of electricity in random directions upon hitting an obstacle or enemy..
April[edit | edit source]
April 13th[edit | edit source]
This appears to show Isaac in Scarred Womb. Some noticeable changes in this gif include:
- Isaac is carrying Mom's Bracelet, an item originating from Antibirth.
- The tear sprite for Lost ContactEvery tear has a small shield which will allow it to block one enemy projectile. appears to be rounder. Meaning the tears are now round circles instead of being pixel polygons as stated before.
- Champion monsters appear to be recolored in a different manner, similar to Antibirth's champion colorings.
- The ground sprites for Freds, Para-Bites, and Scarred Para-Bites dynamically change their color to match the floor.
- This can be seen when one of them pops out of the ground over blood - the color changes to red.
- The Para-Bites themselves flash when taking damage, not the ground surrounding it.
May[edit | edit source]
May 9[edit | edit source]
Edmund McMillen posted a status update tweet about Bum-Bo and Repentance's expected release times, and about other games he is developing. This twitter post states that Repentance is expected to be released late Q4 of 2019.
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
|Achievements||Attributes||Bosses||Cards and Runes||Challenges||Chapters|