The Chest can be accessed with three methods: Touching the chest dropped by Isaac while having The PolaroidIf the character has half a red heart or no red hearts after taking damage, it triggers the Book of Shadows effect, creating a shield that nullifies all types of damage for 5 seconds. Also allows entrance into The Chest. (always dropped by Mom after beating Isaac five times) equipped, or, while in the Cathedral, by using Telepills or another item that acts like Telepills, and being sent to the I AM ERROR room, or finding a black market on the Cathedral and going into the beam of light.
Like the Cathedral before it, The Chest consists of only one floor. In The Chest, it is not possible to bomb doors open to skip rooms. The Chest's rooms are mainly filled with bosses and mini-bosses. The boss of the floor is always ???.
The first room in The Chest will automatically contain 4 golden chests. These special chests always contain treasure room items. Additionally, all brown and golden chests spawned in The Chest will always contain Treasure Room Items. This means that a lot of different items can be found in The Chest when clearing rooms with items or effects that raise the chance of spawning chests. This can be useful when trying to complete the collection page.
After completing The Chest or the Dark Room for the first time, the first room of The Chest will always contain a large golden door, which can be unlocked with either the Key Pieces (combination of Key Piece 1Combined with Key Piece 2, unlocks the golden gate in the starting room of The Chest and Dark Room to fight Mega Satan. and Key Piece 2Combined with Key Piece 1, unlocks the golden gate in the starting room of The Chest and Dark Room to fight Mega Satan.), Dad's KeyOpens all doors in the current room when activated, including doors which require a key to open and entrances to secret rooms. Opens the big doors in the first room of both The Chest and the Dark Room., Get out of Jail Free CardUpon use, opens all doors in the current room (including the golden door at The Chest / Dark Room), similar to Dad's Key. or Mr. ME!Summons a controllable ghost that can perform various tasks depending on what it targets., allowing access to Mega Satan.
||Walks towards Isaac, dealing contact damage. Upon getting near Isaac, it will open its eyes and pursue Isaac faster. Usually turns into a Pacer or a Gusher upon death.|
||Red fly that follows Isaac and deals touch damage.|
||Quickly slides towards Isaac when he gets in its line of sight, then moves slowly back to its original position. Cannot be destroyed.|
||Slowly moves around the room, occasionally hopping and firing 8 large blood shots in all directions. Splits into 2 Brains upon death.|
||Erratically moves towards Isaac and deals touch damage.|
||Slowly walks towards Isaac. Occasionally farts and shoots blood shots in 6 directions. Can turn into a Blubber upon death.|
||Slowly dashes in random directions, dealing contact damage.|
||Slowly moves around the room, occasionally hopping, spawning Dips or firing 8 brown shots in all directions. Spawns 2 Squirts on death.|
||When Isaac lines up with it horizontally, it charges across the room once. When Isaac is not horizontal to it, it spawns Brains.|
||Wanders around the room and throws a bone at Isaac when he is in sight.|
|Blue Conjoined Fatty
||Slowly walks towards Isaac and occasionally farts out a homing Ipecac shot at Isaac.|
||Follows Isaac erratically and occasionally shoots blood shots toward Isaac's destination, predicting his movements.|
Boss[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If Isaac gets Key Piece 1Combined with Key Piece 2, unlocks the golden gate in the starting room of The Chest and Dark Room to fight Mega Satan. and Key Piece 2Combined with Key Piece 1, unlocks the golden gate in the starting room of The Chest and Dark Room to fight Mega Satan., the key will open the golden gate to fight Mega Satan, but if Isaac uses Forget Me NowWhen activated, the level ends and is freshly regenerated with new rooms, monsters, and items. Disappears after use., the floor will reset and Isaac won't get both Key Pieces back, making it so that the golden gate won't open again.
- It is possible to create trapdoors thanks to reward plate (found for example in a secret room). Upon entering them the floor is restarted. If the large golden door was opened before restarting, it will be closed afterwards.
- The I AM ERROR room cannot be reached by any method in The Chest and the Dark Room.
Unlockable Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Dead Boy - Complete chapter 6 without taking damage.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Chest and its boss, ???, are based on the in-game backstory of Isaac locking himself in his toy chest and asphyxiating to death.
- The sprite appearance of ??? is a reference to Edmund McMillen's Dead Baby games, which are often referenced throughout The Binding Of Isaac.
- The texture of the floor may have a small chance of showing two small glowing dots which look like eyes.
- Like in the Dark Room, bombing the doors to open them doesn't work on this floor.
- The shadow cast on the floor most likely resembles Isaac's head while opening the chest.
Music[edit | edit source]
- The music for the chest is titled Sketches of Pain.
|Isaac (Boss) Unlocks|
|A CrossDefeat Isaac as MagdaleneA Bag of PenniesDefeat Isaac as CainThe D6Defeat Isaac as ???Bloody LustDefeat Isaac as SamsonThe PolaroidDefeat Isaac 5 timesSomething IckyDefeat Isaac 10 timesEve's Bird FootDefeat Isaac as EveIsaac's TearsDefeat Isaac as IsaacGuillotineDefeat Isaac as JudasLazarus' RagsDefeat Isaac as LazarusBlank CardDefeat Isaac as EdenSatanic BibleDefeat Isaac as AzazelIsaac's HeartDefeat Isaac as The Lost||Rune BagDefeat Isaac as LilithKeeper holds Wooden NickelDefeat Isaac as KeeperPAY TO PLAYDefeat Isaac as CainBRAINS!Defeat Isaac 5 times||PONGDefeat Isaac 5 timesLocust of WrathDefeat Isaac as ApollyonSlipped RibDefeat Isaac as The Forgotten|
|Chapter 1||Chapter 2||Chapter 3||Chapter 4||Optional||Chapter 5||Chapter 6||Endgame|
|The Basement||The Caves||The Depths||The Womb|
|The Cellar||The Catacombs||Necropolis||Utero||???||The Void|
|Burning Basement||Flooded Caves||Dank Depths||Scarred Womb|
|The Basement||The Caves||The Depths||The Womb||Sheol||The Shop||Ultra Greed|
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
|Achievements||Attributes||Bosses||Cards and Runes||Challenges||Chapters|