Major changes are coming to the Wiki! To learn more and let your voice be heard, please go here.
Additionally, we are currently experiencing some bugs and glitches. We're working on fixing them, but please be aware this means certain images, such as the collection grid for items, will be replaced by errors for the time being.
The Dark Room is one of the game's three final stages, alongside its counterpart, The Chest, as well as The Void. The Dark Room is unlocked by defeating Satan 5 times, after which it can be accessed by touching the chest dropped by Satan with The NegativeIf the character has half a red heart or no red hearts after taking damage, it triggers The Necronomicon effect, damaging all enemies in the room. Also allows entrance into the Dark Room. equipped. Entrance to the Dark Room can also be achieved via the I AM ERROR room on Sheol, even without The NegativeIf the character has half a red heart or no red hearts after taking damage, it triggers The Necronomicon effect, damaging all enemies in the room. Also allows entrance into the Dark Room. as well as through the black market on Sheol and through a trapdoor spawned by a button. After completing this level or the Chest for the first time, the Dark Room will always contain a large golden door in the first room, which can be unlocked with either the Key Pieces (combination of Key Piece 1Combined with Key Piece 2, unlocks the golden gate in the starting room of The Chest and Dark Room to fight Mega Satan. and Key Piece 2Combined with Key Piece 1, unlocks the golden gate in the starting room of The Chest and Dark Room to fight Mega Satan.), Dad's KeyOpens all doors in the current room when activated, including doors which require a key to open and entrances to secret rooms. Opens the big doors in the first room of both The Chest and the Dark Room., Get out of Jail Free CardUpon use, opens all doors in the current room (including the golden door at The Chest / Dark Room), similar to Dad's Key. or Mr. ME!Summons a controllable ghost that can perform various tasks depending on what it targets..
The Dark Room can also be accessed by repeatedly using a sacrifice room. After Uriel and Gabriel are killed, continuing to use the Sacrifice Room will teleport Isaac to the Dark Room, regardless of what floor he was previously on.
The Dark Room is home to the grave room which will contain a dirt patch, which can be dug up using Mom's ShovelSpawns a trapdoor that leads to the next floor upon activation. Unlocks The Forgotten when used on a mound of dirt that appears in The Dark Room.. Doing so for the first time will unlock The Forgotten. On subsequent runs, multiple dirt patches can be found, and digging them up using We Need to Go Deeper!Creates a trapdoor to go to the next floor. If used in The Womb, it will create a trapdoor to Sheol, even if the player hasn't unlocked it., EhwazCreates a trapdoor leading to the next floor. Has an estimated 1/12 (8%) chance to spawn a door to a Crawl Space instead., or Mom's Shovel will spawn a random type of chest.
Like Sheol before it, the Dark Room consists of only one floor. In the Dark Room, it is not possible to bomb doors open to skip rooms. The Dark Room's rooms are mainly filled with bosses and mini-bosses. The boss of the floor is always The Lamb.
The first room you spawn in will automatically contain 4 Red Chests. Red Chests will also drop frequently upon clearing a room, regardless of whether the player has the Left Hand trinket or not. Additionally, all brown and golden chests spawned in the Dark Room will always contain Treasure Room items.
|Scarred Double Vis
||Randomly wanders around the room. Pauses to charge and fire a Brimstone laser which fires from all four cardinal sides when Isaac gets in its line of sight.|
||Flies slowly towards Isaac. Spawns a vortex that fires four Brimstone beams in the cardinal directions upon death.|
||Slowly floats around the room, spawning several Attack Flies. Spawns Pooters upon taking damage. Spawns a Boom Fly upon death.|
||Disappears, then appears near Isaac and spits a cluster of spectral tears at him.|
||When Isaac lines up with it horizontally, it charges in his direction and then doubles back, charging back to its original position. When Isaac is not horizontal to it, it spawns Leeches. Explodes when it dies.|
||Wanders around the room and throws a bone at Isaac when he is in sight.|
||Moves around the room diagonally, occasionally firing Technology lasers towards Isaac. Fires more often upon getting damaged.|
||Starts attached to the wall. After a while, it detaches, firing 6 blood shots in radial directions and turning the room dark and chasing Isaac. Phases in and out of visibility when detached.|
||Act like faster Frowning Gapers. When Isaac gets near, they phase in and out of visibility and pursue Isaac faster.|
||Slowly drifts towards Isaac, frequently firing 5 blood shots in quick succession towards Isaac. Tries to avoid Isaac's shots and occasionally teleports and reappears elsewhere.|
||Chases Isaac, dealing a full heart of contact damage and spawning spiders whenever it takes damage. Spawns a spider, Black Globin's Head, and Black Globin's Body upon death.|
||Disappears, then reappears near Isaac and fires a brimstone laser.|
|Flesh Death's Head
||Moves diagonally around the room, dealing contact damage. Explodes into 6 blood shots in all directions upon death. Can be killed, but also dies when the room is cleared.|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If Isaac gets Key Piece 1Combined with Key Piece 2, unlocks the golden gate in the starting room of The Chest and Dark Room to fight Mega Satan. and Key Piece 2Combined with Key Piece 1, unlocks the golden gate in the starting room of The Chest and Dark Room to fight Mega Satan., the key will open the golden gate to fight Mega Satan, but if Isaac uses Forget Me NowWhen activated, the level ends and is freshly regenerated with new rooms, monsters, and items. Disappears after use., the floor will reset and Isaac won't get both Key Pieces back, making it so that the golden gate won't open again.
- The I AM ERROR room cannot be reached by any method in The Chest and the Dark Room.
Unlockable Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Dead Boy - Complete chapter 6 without taking damage.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Dark Room is the only floor in the game which originates from Rebirth. All the other floors included in Rebirth at its launch were from the original flash game and its dlc Wrath of the Lamb.
- The Dark Room is also the name of a room which, like its name suggests, is plunged into complete darkness, for the notable purpose of processing photos. The fact access to this floor is done by touching the chest in Sheol while holding The NegativeIf the character has half a red heart or no red hearts after taking damage, it triggers The Necronomicon effect, damaging all enemies in the room. Also allows entrance into the Dark Room., which is the name given to a photo which has not been processed yet and whose colours and hues are inverted, might be a nod to this.
- The layout to the Chest and to the Dark Room are identical for a given seed.
- One of the super secret room layouts is of the Dark Room and a black heart. The sprite for the door is a portal rather than a gray door, however, due to the fact that bombed-out entrances in the Dark Room appear as portals.
- This secret room appears floating in a black void on most floors, but in the Dark Room it appears in a purple misty void instead, just like all the other rooms.
Music[edit | edit source]
The music for the Dark Room is titled Devoid, which means “empty”.
|JudasDefeat Satan for the 1st timeMom's KnifeDefeat Satan as IsaacThe RazorDefeat Satan as EveGuardian AngelDefeat Satan as MagdaleneA Bag of BombsDefeat Satan as CainForget Me NowDefeat Satan as ???Blood RightsDefeat Satan as SamsonJudas' TongueDefeat Satan as JudasThe NegativeDefeat Satan 5 timesBroken AnkhDefeat Satan as LazarusBook of SecretsDefeat Satan as EdenDaemon's TailDefeat Satan as AzazelThe MindDefeat Satan as The Lost||Serpent's KissDefeat Satan as LilithKeeper holds Store KeyDefeat Satan as KeeperI RULE!Defeat ??? or The Lamb for the 1st time, and defeat Satan as Isaac||Locust of PestilenceDefeat Satan as ApollyonPointy RibDefeat Satan as The Forgotten|
|Chapter 1||Chapter 2||Chapter 3||Chapter 4||Optional||Chapter 5||Chapter 6||Endgame|
|The Basement||The Caves||The Depths||The Womb|
|The Cellar||The Catacombs||Necropolis||Utero||???||The Void|
|Burning Basement||Flooded Caves||Dank Depths||Scarred Womb|
|The Basement||The Caves||The Depths||The Womb||Sheol||The Shop||Ultra Greed|
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
|Achievements||Attributes||Bosses||Cards and Runes||Challenges||Chapters|