The Dark Room is one of the game's three final stages, alongside its counterpart, The Chest, as well as The Void. The Dark Room is unlocked by defeating Satan 5 times, after which it can be accessed by touching the chest dropped by Satan with The Negative equipped. Entrance to the Dark Room can also be achieved via the I AM ERROR room on Sheol, even without The Negative as well as through the Black Market on Sheol and through a trapdoor spawned by a button. After completing this level or The Chest for the first time, the Dark Room will always contain a large golden door in the first room, which can be unlocked with either the Key Pieces (combination of Key Piece 1 and Key Piece 2), Dad's Key, Get out of Jail Free Card or Mr. ME!.
The Dark Room can also be accessed by repeatedly using a Sacrifice Room. After Uriel and Gabriel are killed, continuing to use the Sacrifice Room will teleport Isaac to the Dark Room, regardless of what floor he was previously on.
The Dark Room is home to the Grave Room which will contain a Dirt Patch, which can be dug up using Mom's Shovel. Doing so for the first time will unlock The Forgotten. On subsequent runs, multiple Dirt Patches can be found, and digging them up using We Need to Go Deeper!, Ehwaz, or Mom's Shovel will spawn a random type of chest.
Like Sheol before it, the Dark Room consists of only one floor. In the Dark Room, it is not possible to bomb doors open to skip rooms. The Dark Room's rooms are mainly filled with bosses and mini-bosses. The boss of the floor is always The Lamb.
The first room the player spawn in will automatically contain 4 Red Chests. Red Chests will also drop frequently upon clearing a room, regardless of whether the player has the Left Hand trinket or not. Additionally, all normal and Locked Chests spawned in the Dark Room will always contain Treasure Room items.
|Scarred Double Vis
||Randomly wanders around the room. Pauses to charge and fire a Brimstone laser which fires from all four cardinal sides when Isaac gets in its line of sight.|
||Flies slowly towards Isaac. Spawns a vortex that fires four Brimstone beams in the cardinal directions upon death.|
||Slowly floats around the room, spawning several Attack Flies. Spawns Pooters upon taking damage. Spawns a Boom Fly upon death.|
||Disappears, then appears near Isaac and spits a cluster of spectral tears at him.|
||When Isaac lines up with it horizontally, it charges in his direction and then doubles back, charging back to its original position. When Isaac is not horizontal to it, it spawns Leeches. Explodes when it dies.|
||Wanders around the room and throws a bone at Isaac when he is in sight.|
||Moves around the room diagonally, occasionally firing Technology lasers towards Isaac. Fires more often upon getting damaged.|
||Starts attached to the wall or an obstacle. After a while, it detaches, firing 6 blood shots in all directions, turning the room dark, becoming invisible and chasing Isaac. Briefly becomes visible upon getting hit.|
||Act like faster Frowning Gapers, and phase in and out of visibility. When Isaac gets near, they open their eyes and pursue Isaac faster.|
||Slowly drifts towards Isaac, frequently firing 5 blood shots in quick succession towards him. Tries to avoid Isaac's shots and occasionally teleports and reappears elsewhere.|
||Chases Isaac, dealing a full heart of contact damage and spawning Spiders whenever it takes damage. Spawns a Spider, a Black Globin's Head, and a Black Globin's Body upon death.|
||Disappears, then reappears near Isaac and fires a brimstone laser.|
|Flesh Death's Head
||Moves diagonally around the room, dealing contact damage. Releases 6 blood shots in all directions upon death. Can be killed, but also dies when the room is cleared.|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If Isaac gets Key Piece 1 and Key Piece 2, the key will open the golden gate to fight Mega Satan, but if Isaac uses Forget Me Now, the floor will reset and Isaac won't get both Key Pieces back, making it so that the golden gate won't open again.
- The I AM ERROR room cannot be reached by any method in The Chest and the Dark Room.
Unlockable Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Dead Boy - Complete chapter 6 without taking damage.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Dark Room is the only floor in the game which originates from Rebirth. All the other floors included in Rebirth at its launch were from the original The Binding of Isaac and its DLC Wrath of the Lamb.
- The Dark Room is also the name of a room which, like its name suggests, is plunged into complete darkness, for the notable purpose of processing photos. The fact access to this floor is done by touching the chest in Sheol while holding The Negative, which is the name given to a photo that has not been processed yet and whose colors and hues are inverted, might be a nod to this.
- The layout to The Chest and the Dark Room are identical for a given seed.
- One of the Super Secret Room layouts is of the Dark Room and a Black Heart. The sprite for the door is a portal rather than a gray door, however, since bombed-out entrances in the Dark Room appear as portals.
- This secret room appears floating in a black void on most floors, but in the Dark Room, it appears in a purple misty void instead, just like all the other rooms.
Music[edit | edit source]
The music for the Dark Room is titled Devoid, which means “empty”.
|Chapter 1||Chapter 2||Chapter 3||Chapter 4||Optional||Chapter 5||Chapter 6||Endgame|
|The Basement||The Caves||The Depths||The Womb|
|The Cellar||The Catacombs||Necropolis||Utero||???||The Void|
|Burning Basement||Flooded Caves||Dank Depths||Scarred Womb|
|The Basement||The Caves||The Depths||The Womb||Sheol||The Shop||Ultra Greed|
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
|Achievements||Attributes||Bosses||Cards and Runes||Challenges||Chapters|