The Duke of Flies
The Duke of Flies is a boss that appears in all environments of chapter 1. Compared to most other bosses, the Duke has little health and cannot even attack on his own. He makes up for this by summoning attack flies for both offensive and defensive purposes.
Behavior[edit | edit source]
The Duke of Flies has three attacks which he can perform while he floats around the room slowly.
- While moving around the room, he will cough up Attack Flies that will orbit around him, blocking shots.
- Occasionally, he will cough up a large attack fly that will move toward Isaac.
- His third attack consists of him coughing which will spread the flies orbiting him outwards, freeing them to move towards Isaac. He will only use this attack if he already has several flies orbiting around him.
- Upon death, he will explode and spawn more flies, and all orbiting flies will be free to move towards Isaac.
Champion versions[edit | edit source]
- Green: Spawns Moters instead of Large Attack Flies and shoots blood shots in eight directions when spreading the orbiting Attack Flies. Because of this, he can spread the Attack Flies at any moment instead of only doing it when having enough of them orbiting him, similar to The Husk.
- Orange: Is larger than normal and spawns Suckers instead of Large Attack Flies.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
The Duke of Flies as one of Delirium's forms.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If Isaac has the Beelzebub transformation, the Attack Flies that the Duke of Flies spawn will instantly turn into blue flies which damage him.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Duke of Flies appeared in the original The Binding of Isaac.
- The Duke of Flies seems to be a human corpse in the bloating stage of decomposition, filled to the brim with flies. The Duke has bloated to the point that it has lost its once human silhouette, becoming nothing more than a sphere with dangling nubs which used to be its appendages.
- Any enemy summoned by The Duke of Flies dies immediately upon making contact with Isaac.
- The Husk is the posthumous version of him.
- The stitching under The Duke of Flies' mouth is an autopsy stitch, an incision in the shape of a Y. The incision allows passage to the cadaver's insides; when the autopsy is complete, it is stitched back up.
- The name "The Duke of Flies" is a reference to the demon Beelzebub, and an alternate name for the devil who is known by the title "Lord of the Flies".
- The name could also be a reference to the book "Lord of the Flies", specifically the character named Lord of the Flies - a severed pig's head mounted on a pike, swarming with flies.
- When under the effects of Curse of Darkness, a brief flash of light is seen when The Duke of Flies summons additional enemies.
- The Duke of Flies is present in The Legend of Bum-Bo, with the name being "The Duke", and having the ability to shoot, similar to this game's green champion. In TLoB however, The Duke has a health scaling armor that prevents him from taking large amounts of damage (depending on its size), but attacking him deflates him, reducing the armor.
- Edmund McMillen has confirmed The Duke Of Flies to be his favorite boss design in The Binding Of Isaac in an AMA thread.
- In another AMA for the Binding of Isaac subreddit, Edmund had also confirmed The Duke Of Flies to be a super old design, before Meat Boy in 2007. However, he never used the design until developing The Binding Of Isaac.
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
|Achievements||Attributes||Bosses||Cards and Runes||Challenges||Chapters|