The Forgotten is a secret character added in Booster Pack #5 that resembles a Bony. He cannot fire regular tears, and instead has a bone club that can be swung as a melee weapon or charged to be thrown.
The Forgotten cannot acquire regular heart containers. Any regular heart containers acquired will be turned into bone hearts, and any soul or black hearts will be given to The Soul. The Forgotten and The Soul share a health bar, so each form can only reach a maximum of 6 hearts each instead of the regular 12.
The Soul[edit | edit source]
Pressing the swap key (CTRL on PC/R2 on PS4/ZR on Switch) will switch control to The Soul, a blue ghost who is chained to the Forgotten and fires spectral tears. The Soul has flight, and while controlling The Soul, The Forgotten cannot take damage, and will block all normal shots that touch it. If the Soul dies, the run will also end.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Forgotten's bone club deals triple his damage when swung and 1.5x his damage when thrown.
- The Forgotten's melee and throw attack can pass through walls, obstacles, and enemies.
- The Forgotten cannot take deals with the devil as he only has bone hearts, though The Soul can take devil deals with its soul hearts. If a deal would kill The Soul, quickly switching to The Forgotten will keep him alive. The soul can be easily resurrected by picking up another soul or black heart.
- If The Soul has no Soul Hearts as a result of this, switching to The Soul will be disabled until another is obtained.
- Losing red hearts inside the bone heart containers does not count as taking red heart damage for devil deal chances, while losing bone heart containers will reduce it.
- While the Soul is active, the body will block enemy shots and actively pull nearby enemy shots into itself. The attraction range is less than one tile width.
- The Forgotten's melee attack will pick up pickups and open chests it hits. Mimics opened this way do not deal damage.
- Stone Chests cannot be opened this way. Golden chests and eternal chests still require a key or the Paper ClipGolden Chests can be opened without using a key. to open.
- Items that can be moved but not picked up are instead pushed. This can be used to launch bombs Dr. FetusTears are replaced by bombs that benefit from bomb-enhancing effects and slide a fixed range after being fired. style or to knock a troll bomb away.
- Crow HeartRed heart damage will be taken before soul and black heart damage. prevents The Forgotten from losing bone heart containers as long as it still has red health.
- The shot speed and tear height stats have no effect on the Forgotten's melee attacks or bone toss.
- The range stat increases how far away from the Forgotten the melee attack's arcs appear. It doesn't affect the bone toss.
- Items that increase character size increase the range of the melee attack. Items that decrease character size have no effect on the range of the melee attack.
- To switch between two pills / cards, press the swap key (CTRL on PC) twice quickly.
- It may be beneficial to eat unidentified pills in Soul form, as a Hematemesis pill can be very detrimental for the Forgotten but has no negative effect when consumed as the Soul.
Unlocking the Forgotten[edit | edit source]
The Lamb must have been defeated previously before The Forgotten can be unlocked, and unlocking The Forgotten can be done in both Normal and Hard difficulty.
- First, start a new run. Defeat the boss of the first floor within the first minute. If done correctly, Mom's voice will yell, you will hear the sound of running footsteps, and the large shadow of a shovel handle will appear on the floor of the starting room. Bombing anywhere in the starting room will cause the shadow to disappear, and spawn the Broken ShovelWhile held, causes multiple Mom's Foots to come down and stomp on Isaac. One of two parts necessary to create Mom's Shovel..
- Holding the Broken Shovel will cause Mom's feet to continually try to stomp you. Using the Broken Shovel will stop the stomping for the current room or for the current wave of a multi-wave room, such as the Boss Rush.
- The stomp attacks won't happen in the Mom fight.
- The stomp attacks count as explosions, so PyromaniacIsaac heals 1 heart instead of taking damage from an explosive source. Adds 5 bombs. or Host HatA host familiar that sits on Isaac's head and has a random chance to block enemy shots and retaliate with 3 tears. Grants immunity to explosions. makes the player immune to them.
- On XL floors, both bosses must be defeated within one minute. Although this is possible, it is difficult, and it is recommended to simply restart.
- Once you pick up the Broken Shovel, you must not trade it for another active item. If you leave it in a room and try to come back for it, it will disappear.
- This cannot be done during a seeded run; it must be random. Mom's Voice will not trigger and you will not be able to bomb for the shovel.
- Next, clear Boss Rush. This will grant the second piece of the Broken ShovelOne of two parts necessary to create Mom's Shovel., completing Mom's ShovelSpawns a trapdoor that leads to the next floor upon activation. Unlocks The Forgotten when used on a mound of dirt that appears in The Dark Room..
- After clearing Mom, only The NegativeIf the character has half a red heart or no red hearts after taking damage, it triggers The Necronomicon effect, damaging all enemies in the room. Also allows entrance into the Dark Room. will spawn.
- The normal requirement for getting to Boss Rush within 20 minutes does not apply, as the hole to go to The Womb after clearing Mom will be sealed until Boss Rush has been completed.
- After Mom's Shovel has been acquired, Mom's feet will stop attempting to stomp you, and Mom's Shovel can be used like We Need to Go Deeper!Creates a trapdoor to go to the next floor. If used in The Womb, it will create a trapdoor to Sheol, even if the player hasn't unlocked it.
- Finally, in the Dark Room, find the empty room with a dirt patch in the center, stand on top of the patch and use Mom's Shovel to unlock The Forgotten.
- If stuck, confused, or frustrated, check the Broken ShovelWhile held, causes multiple Mom's Foots to come down and stomp on Isaac. One of two parts necessary to create Mom's Shovel. page for tips and help.
- Running a victory lap allows you to obtain the shovel, and plays the animation for unlocking The Forgotten, but does not unlock it.
Item Interactions[edit | edit source]
Many items have unique interactions with The Forgotten's attack, though The Soul's tears are affected normally.
- AbaddonIncreases damage and speed, removes all red heart containers, grants six black hearts, and adds a chance to shoot fear tears.: Grants 6 black hearts to The Soul and empties The Forgotten's bone hearts, but doesn't remove them.
- AdrenalineIncreases damage based on how many empty heart containers Isaac has.: Empty bone hearts increase damage, but if the bone hearts are broken the damage buff is taken away.
- Angelic PrismGrants a prism orbital with a large orbital radius. Tears that pass through the prism split into four multi-colored tears.: When the bone club hits the prism, four bone clubs fire out from the prism while the original bone club travels back to The Forgotten. The bone club will quadruple when passing through prism whether travelling away from or back towards The Forgotten. However, bone clubs fired from the prism will travel and spread out very quickly, making it hard to hit enemies with them unless they are really close to the prism.
- Anti-Gravity-2 Tear Delay. Tears float in position until firing ceases, after which they will fly off in the direction they were shot in.: The bone's melee attack will linger in place briefly and can damage enemies, or even pick up items that move into the arc. Will not damage enemies more than once per swing. The throw is unaffected.
- Blood ClotIncreases damage by 1 and range by 5 for tears fired from the left eye.: The Forgotten has a 50% chance for Blood Clot effects to apply to melee or ranged attack. When Blood Clot effects are applied the bone will turn red.
- BrimstoneTears are replaced by a laser beam that pierces through all enemies and obstacles in its path and deals high damage. Can only be fired after a short charge-up period.: The charged attack will spawn a Brimstone ball which will float in front of The Forgotten for a few seconds before disappearing. The Forgotten will still melee attack while performing this action.
- Chocolate MilkGrants charged tears that deal greater damage when fully charged.: The bone grows in size and damage as it is charged, but it cannot be thrown.
- Compound FractureIncreases range. Tears turn into bones, which shatter into 1-3 bone shards upon hitting an enemy or obstacle./ Cricket's BodyGrants -1 Tear Delay and reduces Range. When tears hit an object or deplete their range, they spawn 4 smaller tears, whose Range and Damage scale with Isaac's.: Smaller bone shots appear whenever an enemy is hit with the melee attack. The throw is unaffected.
- ConverterWhen used, converts two soul hearts into a heart container.: Takes two soul or black hearts and gives a bone heart if used in Soul form. If the Soul runs out of hearts this way, it will not cause death but instead just automatically swap back to the Forgotten.
- Cursed EyeGrants charged tears that can be fired in a tight burst of four. Getting hit while charging will teleport Isaac into another room.: The Forgotten's bone toss attack is replaced with multiple rapid melee attacks, the number depending on how long the attack buttons are held.
- Dark BumSpawns a familiar that follows Isaac around and collects red hearts. For every one-and-a-half red hearts collected, Dark Bum will generate one soul heart, one hostile Spider or one friendly blue spider.: Makes it harder to keep The Forgotten's bone heart containers, since every red hearts on the floor will be collected and transformed into soul hearts, which can only be used by The Soul.
- Dark Prince's CrownIncreases range, tears, and shot speed when at exactly one red heart.: The crown activates at one full bone heart.
- Dead CatSets the amount of red heart containers to 1, but gives Isaac 9 extra lives. After dying, Isaac is teleported to the last safe room. New heart containers can be obtained after picking up this item, but after each death, the number of heart containers is set to 1 again.: Sets the Forgotten's bone hearts or the Soul's soul hearts to 1 depending on which form the Forgotten is in when picking the item up. If picked up as the Soul, the Forgotten is healed by 1 red heart.
- Dead EyeIsaac's damage increases each time an enemy is hit. Damage is reset upon missing a shot.: Each successful hit with the bone club will increase the damage multiplier.
- Deep PocketsAllows Isaac to carry two cards or pills (or a combination of both) at the same time./ Little BaggyIsaac can hold 2 pills at once and all cards are replaced by pills./ PolydactylyAllows Isaac to carry two cards, pills, or any combination of both at the same time. Drops a random card or pill./ Starter DeckIsaac can hold 2 cards at once and all pills are replaced by cards.: The swap key must be double tapped to switch active consumables.
- Dead ToothWhile firing, Isaac gains a green aura that poisons nearby enemies.: The green aura will become active when using melee and charging throw attack.
- Dr. FetusTears are replaced by bombs that benefit from bomb-enhancing effects and slide a fixed range after being fired.: The charge attack is replaced by a live bomb in the Forgotten's hand. It is thrown on release, but may also explode in his hand if it's held too long. The range of the throw doesn't depend on length of charge, unless the bomb explodes mid-air. The melee attack is unaffected.
- Epic FetusIsaac's tears are replaced with guided missiles, like those used by the Doctor's Remote.: The charge attack is replaced by a missile in the Forgotten's hand and a crosshair that may be moved. The missile is thrown at the crosshair when all attack buttons are released, with an additional melee swing in the same direction. The melee attack is unaffected.
- EuthanasiaAdds a chance to fire needles. If a needle kills an enemy, it bursts into more needles.: Adds a chance for melee or throw to do triple damage. Attacks will not split into burst bone clubs or be able to kill normally unkillable enemies.
- Evil EyeWhile firing tears, Isaac has a chance to fire an eye across the screen with a very slow shot speed, which will fire tears of its own in the same direction as Isaac. The eye will be destroyed if it comes into contact with an enemy or obstacle.: As the Evil Eye projectile is being launched, it will mimic The Forgotten's melee attack, though it won't mimic any bone throws done by The Forgotten. After launching an Evil Eye projectile as The Forgotten and switching to The Soul, the Evil Eye projectile will continue the melee attack from The Forgotten. After launching an Evil Eye projectile as The Soul and switching to The Forgotten, the Evil Eye projectile will fire bones.
- ExplosivoIsaac's tears have a chance to stick to enemies and explode.: No effect on the Forgotten's bone club.
- Eye of BelialGrants piercing tears. After piercing one enemy, tears start homing and deal double damage.: No effect on the Forgotten's bone club.
- Eye of GreedAdds a chance to fire tears that temporarily stun enemies and turn them into gold. Any enemy killed while in this state will drop coins.: No effect on the Forgotten's bone club.
- Fate's RewardA blue head familiar that will follow Isaac and fire tears copying his tear effects and damage./ IncubusA demonic familiar that follows Isaac and shoots tears identical to Isaac's in terms of damage, range, fire rate, and effects.: The familiars will fire smaller bone shots even when The Forgotten uses their charged attack.
- Fire MindGrants flaming tears that deal burning damage over time. Tears have a chance to explode on impact with an enemy, which creates a fire at the location of the explosion.: Melee and throw have a chance to inflict burning. However, neither melee nor throw attacks will trigger the explosive effect.
- Flat StoneTears bounce off the floor. Tears that hit an enemy after bouncing deal splash damage to all nearby enemies for 25% of Isaac's tear damage.: The bone bounces on the ground a couple times when thrown.
- Fruit CakeIsaac's tears gain a random effect that changes every shot.: The IpecacReplaces tears with explosive and poisoning projectiles fired in an arc from the mouth. explosion effect may activate on melee attacks. Unlike with actual Ipecac, however, the explosion will hurt the Forgotten.
- Glass CannonWhen used, reduces Isaac's health to half a heart (including soul and black hearts) and fires one large piercing spectral tear that does a lot of damage. The damage done by Glass Cannon scales with Isaac's damage (at base damage it does 45 damage).: Only the active character's health is affected: the Forgotten is set to one empty bone heart, and the Soul is set to half a soul heart.
- Ghost PepperAdds a chance to shoot a fire that damages enemies and remains in place until it deals enough damage or the room is left.: Fire is occasionally spawned while attacking or charging.
- GodheadIncreases damage and range while reducing tears and shot speed. Grants homing tears and tears gain a damaging halo.: Gives the Forgotten's bone homing when thrown, but does not grant an aura.
- Guppy's PawRemoves one red heart container in exchange for gaining 3 Soul Hearts./ Potato PeelerRemoves a heart container, increases damage and range, and grants a Cube of Meat.: The Forgotten cannot use either of these items, as neither bone hearts or soul/black hearts qualify for them.
- HaemolacriaTears are now fired in an arc. Upon hitting the floor, an obstacle, or an enemy, they burst into many smaller tears in all directions. Increases tear delay.: A burst of blood shots appears whenever an enemy is hit with the melee attack. The throw is unaffected. Size and reach of the melee attack are increased.
- Head of the KeeperIsaac's tears become coins and now have a chance to drop pennies on the floor upon successfully hitting an enemy.: Head of the Keeper will not work with either the melee attack or throw.
- Holy LightIsaac has a random chance to fire a Holy tear, which, when it hits an enemy, will spawn a Crack the Sky-style light beam on the same enemy, dealing damage.: The melee and ranged attack can create beams of light.
- Homing tears: The thrown bone homes in on enemies.
- IpecacReplaces tears with explosive and poisoning projectiles fired in an arc from the mouth.: The Forgotten's melee attack will trigger an explosion when it makes contact with an enemy, but The Forgotten will not be harmed by it. This does not make The Forgotten impervious to other types of explosions unless it is a death explosion caused by the melee hit.
- IV BagUpon activation, Isaac loses a half-heart (one whole heart in The Womb onwards) for a random amount of coins, similar to the blood donation machine./Blood Donation Machines: Will empty bone hearts without destroying them while in skeletal form.
- Jacob's LadderTears fire sparks of electricity in random directions upon hitting an obstacle or enemy.: Both the melee and thrown attacks cause 1-2 arcs of electricity to zap out when they hit an enemy.
- Kidney StoneRandomly while firing tears, Isaac will stop firing and turn red, where he will charge and release a lot of 'tears' in one go. In the burst of tears is a kidney stone which deals a lot of damage.: The Forgotten launches a quick series of melee attacks after firing the kidney stone.
- LachryphagyIsaac's tears decelerate as they travel. Upon stopping or hitting an obstacle, they burst into 8 tears in all directions. Tears can be fired into other tears to feed them, increasing their damage.: No effect on the Forgotten's bone club.
- Lead PencilAfter every 15 tears fired, Isaac will fire a high-damage cluster of tears.: No effect on the Forgotten's bone club.
- Little HornAdds a chance to fire a piercing tear that instantly kills any enemy that it touches.: The club arcs occasionally turn black, but they do not instantly kill enemies.
- Loki's HornsGives a random chance for projectiles to fire in all 4 cardinal directions.: The Forgotten holds four bones, one in each cardinal direction. There is a chance for the melee or throw attacks to be triggered in all cardinal directions.
- Lost ContactEvery tear has a small shield which will allow it to block one enemy projectile.: The melee attack can deflect enemy shots. Deflected shots may hit enemies for fairly small damage depending on the enemy shot's size.
- The Ludovico TechniqueInstead of firing tears, Isaac controls one floating tear that hover over obstacles. This tear deals constant damage when held in place over an enemy.: The large tear will follow the Forgotten. It can be hit with the melee attack to propel it, which also increases its damage.
- The Ludovico Technique + Multidimensional BabySpawns a familiar that will follow Isaac's movements on a 2.5 second delay. Tears that pass through the baby will be doubled and increase in speed.: Creates a second large tear when the first tear touches Multidimensional Baby.
- A Lump of CoalThe more distance tears travel, the more damage they will do.: The melee attack is unaffected regardless of range. The bone toss attack does extra damage from further away.
- MarkedIsaac will now fire tears automatically directed at a red target on the ground which is controlled by the player. This allows for a full 360 degree tear firing radius. Can be overridden by other tear modifiers such as Mom's Knife or Brimstone.: The Forgotten will get stat upgrades but is otherwise unaffected.
- Mom's EyeAllows Isaac to fire tears from the back of his head.: The Forgotten holds two bones, one behind and one in front. There is a chance for the melee or throw attacks to be triggered in both directions.
- Mom's KnifeIsaac's tears are replaced by a knife that pierces enemies, can travel through obstacles, and can hurt enemies while Isaac is holding it. Holding down the fire button before firing increases its range and power.: The knife will attach to The Forgotten's bone club, increasing the size and damage of the melee attack. Also allows a single melee swing to cause damage to an enemy twice instead of just once.
- Monstro's LungIncreases damage and grants a charged shot that fires multiple tears in the same fashion as Monstro.: The Forgotten's bone toss attack is replaced by a typical Monstro's Lung shot, though the tears are all bones.
- My ReflectionGives Isaac's tears a boomerang effect, and increases range and shot speed.: The Forgotten will get stat upgrades but is otherwise unaffected.
- Mysterious LiquidTears leave a small, short lasting pool of creep on impact or when their range is depleted.: Throwing the bone creates a trail of damaging green creep.
- The ParasiteIsaac's tears split in two when they hit something.: Smaller bone shots and normal split tears appear whenever an enemy is hit with the melee attack. The throw is unaffected.
- ParasitoidAdds a chance to fire an egg sack which spawns slowing creep and spawns a blue fly or spider upon hitting an enemy.: No effect on the Forgotten's bone club.
- PolyphemusMakes Isaac shoot one huge tear. Also reduces Tears to minimum. Damage increased . If tear does more damage than an enemy's life, the tear continues to travel with the extra remaining damage.: The bone club becomes a lot larger, causing hits to cover a larger area.
- Pop!Replaces Isaac's tears with eyeballs that can bounce off of each other. The eyeballs are not limited by range, and will instead dissipate when they stop moving or when hitting an enemy or obstacle.: No effect on the Forgotten's bone club.
- ProptosisTears start out massive with high damage, and then shrink down and become weaker over a short range.: Damage is doubled for melee, while damage reduces normally with range when thrown.
- Pupula DuplexTransforms Isaac's tears into a wide arc shape which gives them a much larger hitbox. Gives Isaac spectral tears which allows them to travel through objects in the environment (i.e. rocks).: No effect on the Forgotten's bone club.
- Rubber CementTears bounce off walls, enemies, and environmental objects.: No effect on the Forgotten's bone club.
- SchoolbagAllows Isaac to hold two active items.: The swap key must be double tapped to switch active items.
- Sinus InfectionAdds a chance to fire a booger which sticks to enemies and poisons them.: No effect on the Forgotten's bone club.
- Soy MilkTears shrink and do much less damage, but fire in very rapid succession.: The bone's melee attack is extremely fast and the charge for throwing is short.
- SprinklerUpon use, spawns a sprinkler that rotates and fires tears.: Sprinkler fires bone tears that do The Forgotten's base damage without the multiplier.
- Strange AttractorPickups, trinkets, and monsters are magnetically attracted to Isaac's tears.: Melee will attract pickups and throw will attract enemies to the bone club making them easier to kill.
- Sulfuric AcidIncreases damage. Adds a chance to fire acidic tears which can destroy obstacles.: Increases damage. Melee swings and throws occasionally turn yellow but no other effect.
- TechnologyReplaces tears with a piercing laser with unlimited range.: A laser ring will appear around The Forgotten whenever he swings, and a laser is fired between The Forgotten and the bone club whenever it is thrown.
- Technology + ProptosisTears start out massive with high damage, and then shrink down and become weaker over a short range.: Size of the laser ring is doubled.
- Tech XTears are replaced with laser rings that pierce through enemies and deal damage to enemies within them. Can be charged to increase the size of the ring.: A laser ring appears around the bone club whenever it is thrown.
- Tech X + BrimstoneTears are replaced by a laser beam that pierces through all enemies and obstacles in its path and deals high damage. Can only be fired after a short charge-up period.: The laser ring appears around the brimstone ball instead.
- Tech X + Dr. FetusTears are replaced by bombs that benefit from bomb-enhancing effects and slide a fixed range after being fired.: The laser ring appears around the thrown bomb instead.
- Tech.5Grants a unlimited range piercing laser with random rate of fire that does not replace tears. The laser might occasionally fire with the effect of a random item or trinket, such as Hook Worm, Spoon Bender or Tiny Planet.: Lasers occasionally fire when using melee or charging throw.
- Technology ZeroConnects Isaac's tears with electricity that can damage enemies.: No effect on the Forgotten's bone club.
- Tiny PlanetRange up and makes shot tears revolve around Isaac until they drop.: The bone throw now spins around in a circle and can be thrown further than normal with range upgrades.
- TrisagionTears are replaced with piercing white blasts of light.: No effect on the Forgotten's bone club.
- Varicose VeinsTaking damage releases a ring of 10 high damage tears.: Fires ten bone tears in all directions that deal high damage.
- The WizTears simultaneously fire out of both eyes diagonally, similar to the effect of the R U A Wizard? pill. Isaac's tears also travel above all obstacles.: The Forgotten wields two clubs, one in each hand, pointing diagonally outwards.
Unlockable items[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
|Achievements||Attributes||Bosses||Cards and Runes||Challenges||Chapters|