D4Rerolls all of Isaac's items.
Holy MantleAutomatically negates first taken damage in every room.
| It's complicated|
Die in a Sacrifice Room while holding Missing PosterThe Lost
The Lost starts with no health and cannot gain health by any means. Therefore, it will die from any hit. The Lost starts with flight, Spectral tears, D4Rerolls all of Isaac's items. (if unlocked) and Holy MantleAutomatically negates first taken damage in every room. (after donating 879 coins to the Greed Machine). The Lost can take devil deals for free and activate the button in Greed mode without taking damage.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Many of the game's items provide no benefit to The Lost; for example, those that affect health or trigger on taking damage.
- Resurrection items like Dead CatSets the amount of red heart containers to 1, but gives Isaac 9 extra lives. After dying, Isaac is teleported to the last safe room. New heart containers can be obtained after picking up this item, but after each death, the number of heart containers is set to 1 again. will still work with The Lost.
- Devil deals, while free, still count as making a deal with the devil and will prevent angel rooms from opening. Thus, a Credit CardConverts all items in the Shop or Devil Room into pickups or items on pedestals, allowing them to be picked up for free. is still recommended, or getting ChaosChaos causes items to be chosen from random item pools. When picked up, drops between 1-6 random pickups on the floor. to acquire angel room items (except broken key pieces).
- Isaac will be replaced by The Lost upon starting a third victory lap; however, Victory Laps do not allow the unlocking of achievements.
- Also, since the Lost's Holy Mantle isn't intrinsic, the Victory Lap Lost will always die from one hit unless the player has Holy Mantle.
- If The Lost's Holy Mantle effect is lost while within a Curse room, closing the game, starting it up and then continuing the run will restore the Holy Mantle's charge, allowing The Lost to leave the room unharmed.
General Strategies[edit | edit source]
Unlockable items[edit | edit source]
Unlocking The Lost in Afterbirth[edit | edit source]
The Lost is unlocked by dying in a sacrifice room while holding Missing PosterIf Isaac dies in a Sacrifice Room, a puzzle piece will appear on his last will ( and unlocks The Lost). Revives Isaac as The Lost if unlocked. The Missing Poster then disappears..
- Looking for Mom's BoxWhen used, Mom's Box will drop a random trinket on the ground. While held, increases luck by 1 and doubles the effects of trinkets. in shops makes finding the poster easier.
- Glitter BombsGives Isaac 5 bombs, and makes Isaac's bombs have a chance to drop random pickups or charm enemies when they explode., in conjunction with a large enough or infinite source of bombs (such as a Gold Bomb), have a small chance to drop trinkets, making it easier to find the poster.
- It is technically possible to unlock The Lost while holding Mysterious PaperHas a chance to replicate the effects of A Missing Page, The Polaroid, The Negative, or Missing Poster., although the probability is small since it only has a 1/4 chance to imitate the Missing PosterIf Isaac dies in a Sacrifice Room, a puzzle piece will appear on his last will ( and unlocks The Lost). Revives Isaac as The Lost if unlocked. The Missing Poster then disappears.. Dead CatSets the amount of red heart containers to 1, but gives Isaac 9 extra lives. After dying, Isaac is teleported to the last safe room. New heart containers can be obtained after picking up this item, but after each death, the number of heart containers is set to 1 again. and other resurrection items could be useful for extra attempts.
Unlocking The Lost in Rebirth[edit | edit source]
The Lost is unlocked by dying consecutively with certain characters, with no other deaths. Deaths must be completed in the order shown here, and seeds can be used for the runs except for the last with Azazel:
- Isaac must die to a Mulliboom in The Basement or The Cellar.
- Magdalene must die to her own bomb in The Caves or The Catacombs.
- Judas must die to any Mom attack in The Depths or Necropolis. Being killed by any monster spawned by Mom will spoil the entire attempt at unlocking The Lost.
- Azazel must die to any Satan attack in Sheol. Being killed by The Fallen in the boss room or a Kamikaze Leech will spoil the entire attempt at unlocking The Lost. Being killed by using The BibleUpon activation, Isaac gains flight, allowing him to pass over all obstacles in the current room. Instantly kills Mom, Mom's Heart, and It Lives when activated, but will kill Isaac when activated while fighting Satan. doesn't count as a Satan kill.
The Lost will be unlocked after dying to Satan's attack.
Notes on unlocking The Lost[edit | edit source]
- Multiple lives (for example, obtained by Dead CatSets the amount of red heart containers to 1, but gives Isaac 9 extra lives. After dying, Isaac is teleported to the last safe room. New heart containers can be obtained after picking up this item, but after each death, the number of heart containers is set to 1 again.) must be depleted before the intended death, as deaths while having extra lives do not count as a game loss.
- Having any mods installed that triggers the mod flag will make The Lost unobtainable. To fix this problem, all mods have to be removed.
- The game cannot be won as any character required to unlock it when unlocking it.
- Champion versions of monsters and bosses will count for the death criteria.
- Runs can always be safely reset.
- Mom's Foot's stomp counts as explosive damage, which makes PyromaniacIsaac heals 1 heart instead of taking damage from an explosive source. Adds 5 bombs. a problematic choice when trying to complete Step 3.
- Picking the wrong character while unlocking him doesn't mess up the unlocking process.
- Quitting and Restarting the game in the middle of the unlocking process doesn't mess it up.
- Picking up Lazarus' RagsUpon dying, resurrect as Revived Lazarus with one heart container and Anemic item., Judas' ShadowAdds an extra life; upon death, it respawns Isaac as Black Judas with only two black hearts., or AnkhUpon death, the player will respawn as ??? with 3 soul hearts. should be avoided. These items will revive the current character as a different one and therefore prevent the current unlock-step from being fulfilled.
File manipulation[edit | edit source]
By changing a file parameter, an unsuccessful try can be undone:
- Backup the file
Options.inifound in the
Documents\My Games\Binding of Isaac Rebirthby making a copy of it in the same folder.
- Open the original file with Notepad and change the
SteamCloudparameter in it to
0. This will disable Steam Cloud gamesaves synchronization.
- After an unsuccessful try, delete the original file and rename the backup copy with the name of the original file:
- Repeat steps 1 after each successful run until you unlock The Lost.
- When finished, open the original file and restore the
SteamCloudparameter in it to
1. This will enable Steam Cloud gamesaves synchronization again.
Helpful Seeds[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- When The Lost's unlock requirements were discovered through the use of data mining, Edmund McMillen and Tyrone Rodriguez both expressed their disappointment, considering it impatient and "like swallowing a hundred dollar steak in one bite".
- Right before the start of a run, some images appear to hint to unlocking The Lost, including the Missing PosterIf Isaac dies in a Sacrifice Room, a puzzle piece will appear on his last will ( and unlocks The Lost). Revives Isaac as The Lost if unlocked. The Missing Poster then disappears. and The Lost itself.
- Dying in a Sacrifice Room while holding the Missing PosterIf Isaac dies in a Sacrifice Room, a puzzle piece will appear on his last will ( and unlocks The Lost). Revives Isaac as The Lost if unlocked. The Missing Poster then disappears. would yield a puzzle piece on Isaac's last will. These puzzle pieces, when put together, created the last wills of characters dying in the method used to unlock The Lost.
- Before version 1.02, The Lost would die if a run was exited then continued.
- When The Lost picks up an item, tarot card, or pill, you can see its arms that do not connect to its body.
- Internally, The Lost has half a soul heart, which is hidden behind a permanent Curse of the Unknown-like effect. The singular soul heart is why The Lost can "pick up" soul hearts, black hearts, and eternal hearts. There are no ways to increase this health, though, as The Lost's health is constantly reset back to half a soul heart.
- Devil deals appear as requiring three soul hearts each as The Lost technically only has half of an invisible soul heart. This is cosmetic only, as devil deals are still free.
- A loading screen (when Isaac dreams) depicts the "Voice of God" telling Isaac's Mom to kill her son as The Lost speaking to her from the attic.
- The Lost's starting health is listed as "?" on the character selection screen.
References[edit | edit source]
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth|
|Achievements||Attributes||Bosses||Cards and Runes||Challenges||Chapters|