Major changes are coming to the Wiki! To learn more and let your voice be heard, please go here.
Additionally, we are currently experiencing some bugs and glitches. We're working on fixing them, but please be aware this means certain images, such as the collection grid for items, will be replaced by errors for the time being.
The Lost (Strategy)
The Lost has no health, dying by any damage taken. Therefore, he needs to be played with extreme care. Although possible, it is extremely difficult to finish a full playthrough without getting hit at all. Powerful item combinations are often necessary for a successful run.
- 1 General Tips
- 2 "The Still Statue"
- 3 "Getting Carried"
- 4 "Remote Control"
- 5 Emergency options
- 6 Angel & Devil Rooms
- 7 Items
- 8 Seeds
General Tips[edit | edit source]
- Before attempting runs with The Lost, unlock any items that may be helpful for The Lost.
- It is recommended to have advanced knowledge of all types of rooms, champions and enemies.
- The Lost's ability to fly can be used to hide safely above obstacles and pits, avoiding enemies and projectile contact.
- Always play on hard mode, as hard mode is required to unlock GodheadIncreases damage and range while reducing tears and shot speed. Grants homing tears and tears gain a damaging halo.. If the player manages to get good item combinations, the difficulty will not matter much.
- Bombs can be used to escape rooms you think you cannot handle.
- The Lost will absorb Soul, Black and Eternal Hearts by picking them up, but will not gain any health from them. It is recommended to avoid picking them up in case the D20, a Dice Room (with 3 pips, 2 if the hearts spawn in the Dice Room), or a Dice Shard is found later on.
- Three orbitals of any kind absorb nearly all projectiles. It is recommended to use Slot Machines as much as possible to obtain Pretty Flies.
- The Lost does not receive Bad Trip or Health Down pills. This makes pills more useful since they are more likely to have positive effects.
- With the Missing Poster, a run may be taken to the end with an easier character and finished as The Lost by dying on purpose, granting the unlock for The Lost without doing a full run.
- Since The Lost does not take damage from the Greed Mode button, you can dramatically limit the number of enemies you have to face at a given time by stepping back onto the button after activating it.
"The Still Statue"[edit | edit source]
This strategy is very safe and easily played. It combines Gnawed LeafAfter standing still and not shooting for a short time, Isaac turns invincible until he moves or shoots. with any automatically damaging Familiar. This allows The Lost to enter a room, become invulnerable, and let his familiar clear the room. There are almost no rooms where The Lost gets hit before he enters statue form. This strategy requires a lot of patience.
Although many familiars are not able to clear all types of enemies or rooms, it is still recommended to get any type of familiar the player finds. Some examples are:
- 7 SealsGrants a random Harbinger familiar that changes every 10 seconds.: Extremely powerful, as the harbringers will travel anywhere across a room spawning locusts and leaving trails of creep. The War and Death harbringers will also chase enemies.
- Daddy LonglegsDaddy Long Legs' shadow follows Isaac and stomps on enemies.: Extremely powerful, because it reaches any enemy and will eventually clear the room against any type of hostiles.
- Demon BabyFollows Isaac and automatically fires at enemies in its reach. and GeminiSuture becomes attached to Isaac, and does touch damage to enemies within its attacking range. - Reliably take out enemies nearby, but will not target foes far away.
- Orbitals provide decent damage against chasing enemies, but are useless against enemies that stay on distance.
- LeechSpawns a friendly familiar leech on the ground that hunts down enemies and heals you for half a heart each time it eats one.: Can chase after enemies like Lil Haunt, but due to its poor programming, it often gets stuck, causing you to have to move to kill an enemy. It is also unable to pass over pits.
- Lil HauntA familiar that damages enemies by chasing them as well as inducing the fear effect.: While not as powerful as Daddy Longlegs, it's one of the few familiars that chase enemies (and don't require you to take damage to summon).
- Midas' TouchEnemies that touch you are stunned and turn gold. Any enemy killed while in this state will drop a coin.: Still dealing damages when Gnawed LeafAfter standing still and not shooting for a short time, Isaac turns invincible until he moves or shoots. is active, may be useless against bosses who stay away from The Lost.
- The PeeperSpawns a familiar that floats slowly around the room on a zig-zag pattern similar to Boom Flies damaging enemies it passes through.: It reaches any spot of a room and will be able to take out most enemies. A lot of time is required, though.
- Robo-Baby 2.0Fires lasers at any enemy in its line of sight and moves based on the direction Isaac is firing tears.: Shoots only horizontal and vertical, not reaching enemies that stay diagonally. Robo-Baby 2.0 will still clear most rooms. If Robo-Baby 2.0 is moved, statue form will be exited.
- Rotten BabyA familiar that spawns blue flies. and Sissy LonglegsWanders about the room, occasionally spawning blue spiders.: Blue Flies and Spiders target most enemies inside a room. The flies may not attack foes far away, the spiders are unable to pass over pits.
- SuccubusSpawns a flying familiar that bounces around the room with a black aura, dealing rapid damage to any enemies inside it. While standing in the aura, Isaac gains a 1.5x tear damage multiplier.: Similar to The Peeper, but with a much larger area of effect. Still has trouble with large rooms, however.
- The VirusInflicts poison to enemies who make contact with Isaac. Speed down.: Similar to Midas' Touch, enemies that touch The Lost when Gnawed LeafAfter standing still and not shooting for a short time, Isaac turns invincible until he moves or shoots. is active will be poisoned, but is useless against foes and bosses who stay away from The Lost.
Issues[edit | edit source]
Although the strategy is quite safe, it is likely that game-ending issues occur. Some example scenarios are:
- The Lost fights Loki with a Poky inside the room. The boss will always stay at distance, making familiars like Distant AdmirationA red attack fly circles further out than the Halo of Flies / Pretty Flies, but closer than Forever Alone. Deals more damage than Forever Alone. useless. Poky pushes constantly against The Lost, forcing him not to move.
- The Lost fights a room full of Mask + Heart, the Hearts being behind a pit. Familiars like Leech are useless, while The Lost is constantly attacked by a Mask.
- The Lost fights Globins, while his follower is not doing enough damage to finish them off after they fell into goo. One Globin is always alive at a time and attacking The Lost.
It is required to have an emergency option, if a room cannot be cleared as intended in such scenarios. Spacebar Items, Cards and Pills can be safely activated, even if The Lost in statue form currently has enemy contact. Another option is to exit the run and reenter it by pressing the continue button. This will place the player at the start of the room but all monsters killed would have to be killed again if the player did not clear the room first.
Boss Rush[edit | edit source]
The method may be perfect for the Boss Rush fight itself, however the player will probably be progressing too slow, not finishing Mom in time. Therefore this method is not recommended to attain the Boss Rush.
Execution[edit | edit source]
The game is restarted until Gnawed LeafAfter standing still and not shooting for a short time, Isaac turns invincible until he moves or shoots. is found in a treasure room adjacent to spawn. Then, the player has to rely on finding proper familiars later on.
"Getting Carried"[edit | edit source]
This strategy is very general, though leading often to success. The goal is to gain a massive offensive potential, killing enemies before they are able to hurt The Lost. To survive game ending mistakes, The Lost also tries to find shielding, invulnerability or reviving items. The strategy bases a lot on item luck, because some of the most powerful items in the game need to be found early on.
Key Items[edit | edit source]
- BrimstoneTears are replaced by a laser beam that pierces through all enemies and obstacles in its path and deals high damage. Can only be fired after a short charge-up period.: Grants massive power, is piercing and spectral, can be charged in the preceding room and instantly fired.
- Glass CannonWhen used, reduces Isaac's health to half a heart (including soul and black hearts) and fires one large piercing spectral tear that does a lot of damage. The damage done by Glass Cannon scales with Isaac's damage (at base damage it does 45 damage).: Shoots a giant damaging tear with no downside.
- Mom's KnifeIsaac's tears are replaced by a knife that pierces enemies, can travel through obstacles, and can hurt enemies while Isaac is holding it. Holding down the fire button before firing increases its range and power.: Offers massive damage, is piercing and spectral.
- PolyphemusMakes Isaac shoot one huge tear. Also reduces Tears to minimum. Damage increased . If tear does more damage than an enemy's life, the tear continues to travel with the extra remaining damage. Increases tear damage more than most other items. If combined with other damage increasing items, it makes most enemies in the first chapters one-shot and shortens boss fights significantly.
- Dead CatSets the amount of red heart containers to 1, but gives Isaac 9 extra lives. After dying, Isaac is teleported to the last safe room. New heart containers can be obtained after picking up this item, but after each death, the number of heart containers is set to 1 again.: Gives The Lost nine lives.
- Holy MantleAutomatically negates first taken damage in every room.: Absorbs the first hit in each room, nullifying a game ending mistake once per room.
- Host HatA host familiar that sits on Isaac's head and has a random chance to block enemy shots and retaliate with 3 tears. Grants immunity to explosions., InfamyChance to block projectiles coming from any direction. and Metal PlateAdds a chance to reflect enemy shots. Grants one soul heart.: They have a chance of deflecting projectiles and can be a lifesaver.
- Lost ContactEvery tear has a small shield which will allow it to block one enemy projectile. Destroys bullets upon contact with tears. It makes "bullet-hell" boss fights like It Lives clearly easier.
Additionally, Guppy Transformation increases your offensive potential significantly, making it to another offensive key event. Obtaining three orbitals, such as Pretty Flies, form another defensive key event to avoid nearly all projectiles.
The goal is to obtain at least one offensive and one defensive item early in the run, additional ones later on. If they are combined with further helpful items, a run becomes very promising.
Note: GodheadIncreases damage and range while reducing tears and shot speed. Grants homing tears and tears gain a damaging halo. and Sacred HeartIncreases damage and range while reducing shot speed and grants homing tears. Grants a Heart Container and replenishes all Red Hearts. are also major offensive key items. However, it is assumed the player has not yet unlocked Godhead. Sacred Heart can earliest be found in the third floor with very low chances, is therefore not mentioned.
Issues[edit | edit source]
- Although you can restart a game until you find a key item in the first treasure room, you are still dependent on item luck later in the run.
- Many key items are special items, lowering the chances of finding such combinations.
- Running only with key items may not be enough, therefore additional damage ups or emergency options may be necessary.
Boss Rush[edit | edit source]
This method is well suited for the Boss Rush, because The Lost is able to progress quite fast with his massive damage output. The Boss Rush fight itself shall be done with extreme care, because many defensive Items lose most of their value in a long fight:
- Dead CatSets the amount of red heart containers to 1, but gives Isaac 9 extra lives. After dying, Isaac is teleported to the last safe room. New heart containers can be obtained after picking up this item, but after each death, the number of heart containers is set to 1 again. would revive you outside, ruining the attempt.
- Holy MantleAutomatically negates first taken damage in every room. will still trigger once in the Boss Rush fight, but that may not be enough for the whole duration of the fight.
Execution[edit | edit source]
The game is restarted until one of the key items is found in a Treasure Room adjacent to spawn. Afterwards, the player has to rely on finding additional key items and synergies later on.
Note that Brimstone can only be found in Devil Rooms, and Dead Cat only in Curse Rooms, Devil Rooms and Red Chests. The player may decide if they want to check on these opportunities or rather restart instantly.
Some players enter a Curse Room if it is located adjacent to the start. This will usually be fatal. Rarely, though, a Dead Cat can be found in it. This behavior can make sense, as the run would anyway have gotten restarted without a Treasure Room next to the spawn.
"Remote Control"[edit | edit source]
This method bases around any remotely controlled damage source, such as The Ludovico TechniqueInstead of firing tears, Isaac controls one floating tear that hover over obstacles. This tear deals constant damage when held in place over an enemy., ???'s Only FriendSummons a big attack fly that can be controlled with the shooting direction-keys., or Robo-Baby 2.0Fires lasers at any enemy in its line of sight and moves based on the direction Isaac is firing tears.. After entering a room, The Lost tries to find a safe hiding spot as soon as possible, like above an obstacle. After being safe, he uses his remote damage source to finish the room. Acquiring both The Ludovico TechniqueInstead of firing tears, Isaac controls one floating tear that hover over obstacles. This tear deals constant damage when held in place over an enemy. and Lost ContactEvery tear has a small shield which will allow it to block one enemy projectile. can help immensely, especially during the fights against Isaac and ???, as the tear can easily block all enemy shots. Acquiring The Ludovico Technique and Strange AttractorPickups, trinkets, and monsters are magnetically attracted to Isaac's tears. can also be very helpful as enemies can be pulled away from The Lost.
Issues[edit | edit source]
- Many rooms do not contain any safe spot, quickly making the method counterproductive.
- Flying enemies can reach any spot in the room. Jumping enemies like Hoppers can also jump over obstacles if they find a landing spot behind.
- The Ludovico TechniqueInstead of firing tears, Isaac controls one floating tear that hover over obstacles. This tear deals constant damage when held in place over an enemy. prevents The Lost from firing normal tears, which may be fatal in rooms without hiding places.
- The player may focus on their controlled tear/familiar, rather than watching The Lost, overlooking a deadly danger.
Boss Rush[edit | edit source]
If the player manages to reach the Boss Rush room, their odds are quite good. The Boss Rush room offers some rocks as hiding spots, and many bosses stay quite calm. This allows for a nice damage output with the remotely controlled familiars. Flying, fast or mobile bosses, like Fistula, may still become problematic, and therefore treated with extreme care. Also the variety of Brimstone and explosive attacks are very dangerous. There is a bug who will give the player the "Boss rush completed" achievement and will unlock the D100 without actually completing the boss rush. In order to make this, the player need some bombs before entering the boss rush. Once the player is inside, he should place bombs in all the skulls he can find, until an enemy spawns from one of them. If the player kills the enemy (Without picking up any of the boss rush items) the game will think the room is "cleared" and give the player the achievement.
Execution[edit | edit source]
The game is restarted until one of the above items is found in a Treasure Room adjacent to spawn.
Emergency options[edit | edit source]
The Lost should always be prepared for the unexpected by having an emergency option.
Note: 9 VoltReduces the charge of any Activated Items by 1. Any 1 charge items instead have timed recharges. and The BatteryActivated Items can be "overcharged" to allow for an additional use. allow a much more flexible use of spacebar items and are generally recommended.
Shield and invulnerability[edit | edit source]
Becoming invulnerable is often avoiding deadly situations, therefore having such a card or spacebar item is highly recommended.
- Rune Of Algiz offers a shield for 30 seconds. Combined with the Blank CardHas the same effect as the card or rune currently held by Isaac., it forms one of the best defensive item combinations.
- Book of ShadowsUpon use, creates a protective shield nullifying all types of damage for 10 seconds. offers a shield for 10 seconds.
- The GamekidUpon use, turns the character into a into a Pac-Man-like creature for 5 seconds, granting invulnerability, inflicting fear on all enemies, and replenishing half a red heart container for every two enemies killed. fears all enemies, deals contact damage and offers invulnerability for five seconds.
- My Little UnicornUpon use, grants invulnerability and increased speed for five seconds, removing the ability to shoot tears and replacing it with the ability to deal contact damage to enemies. and VII - The Chariot grant invulnerability and contact damage for five seconds. Taurus has a similar effect, but is not completely controllable.
- Unicorn StumpUpon use, grants invulnerability and increased speed for five seconds, but removes the ability to shoot tears. grants a 5 second invulnerability, letting The Lost reposition himself safely. It comes with only one charge, thus can be used often.
Teleport[edit | edit source]
Teleportation can be used to avoid run-ending situations by just leaving the room on demand. However, depending on the method used and on the floor the item is used, the player may end up in a random, even more dangerous room. Teleporting into a Curse Room can potentially end a run, as under normal conditions they cannot be exited without taking damage. There is also a chance of landing in the I AM ERROR room, which forces the player to leave items and pickups behind and potentially forces the player to skip an unlock.
- Any Card providing teleportation, optionally combined with Blank CardHas the same effect as the card or rune currently held by Isaac..
- Broken RemoteTriggers the Teleport effect whenever an activated item is used.
- TeleportTeleports you to a random room on the level.
- UndefinedTeleports Isaac to either the Secret Room, Super Secret Room, Treasure Room, or I AM ERROR.
- If combined with a no-cooldown spacebar item, such as How to Jump, it provides infinite teleportation.
- Door StopThe last door Isaac went through stays open, allowing him to leave the room even if enemies are in it.
- Allows you to walk out of any room.
Hard Removal[edit | edit source]
Hard Removal describes the option to clear a dangerous room instantaneously on demand. Items offering hard removal are:
- Chaos Card kills any enemy in its path, including bosses, in one hit. It is very useful for single-targets, but doesn't have the area of effect for massive enemy horde rooms.
- Flush!Changes all enemies in the room into poop. Does not work on all enemies (Knights and bosses are immune). Instantly kills Dingle, Dangle, and Brownie. clears a room instantly, but doesn't work against bosses, except Brownie, Dingle and Dangle.
- Head of KrampusFires a cross-patterned brimstone shot, just like The Fallen and Krampus shoot. deals massive damage in a cross-pattern, killing all non-boss enemies in its path, and severely damaging bosses.
- Magic FingersFor 1 coin, damages all enemies in the room. can clear a whole room extremely fast if the item is spammed, damage is high enough and if enough coins are available.
- The NecronomiconDamages all enemies in the room significantly. and XIII - Death kill most non-boss enemies in a room.
Resurrection items[edit | edit source]
These items do still work with The Lost, although the life number does not appear on the HUD. They give the player another chance, if a fatal mistake was made.
- 1up!Gives an extra life. Upon death, you will respawn in the previous room with full health and lose the 1up!. offers one life.
- Dead CatSets the amount of red heart containers to 1, but gives Isaac 9 extra lives. After dying, Isaac is teleported to the last safe room. New heart containers can be obtained after picking up this item, but after each death, the number of heart containers is set to 1 again. offers nine lives.
- Guppy's CollarGrants Isaac a permanent 50% chance to respawn with 1/2 of a red heart after death. has a 50% chance of reviving The Lost.
- When combined with Dead Cat, Guppy's Collar takes priority over it, potentially granting more lives.
Angel & Devil Rooms[edit | edit source]
Devil and Angel Rooms appear quite frequently to The Lost, because he is not allowed to take damage. The Lost can take Devil deals for free. However, Angel Rooms offer some of the most helpful items for The Lost.
It is generally recommended to go for Devil deals, and thus hinder Angel Rooms to appear, though the player is free to pursue Angel Rooms if they find them more attractive. Goat HeadA Devil Room / Angel Room Door will always spawn after every boss fight, excluding the first floor and floors after Utero II/Womb II. is a strong item to obtain early as it will ensure that The Lost can visit a Devil or Angel Room on every floor except for Basement/Cellar I and everything past The Womb/Utero II. The Book of BelialUpon use increases damage by 2 for the current room and by a further +50% if the character also has the Blood of the Martyr.
Guarantees a Devil Room or Angel Room will be open after beating a boss while holding it, or increases the chance by 12.5%. fulfills a similar effect, however, another spacebar item may be preferred.
Devil Room[edit | edit source]
Although the Devil Room may only contain Black Hearts or Red Chests that only contain Soul Hearts, Troll Bombs or enemy spiders, it usually has helpful items, though some such as Dark BumSpawns a familiar that follows Isaac around and collects red hearts. For every one-and-a-half red hearts collected, Dark Bum will generate one soul heart, one hostile Spider or one friendly blue spider. or Razor BladeUpon use, deals one heart of damage to Isaac and grants +1.2 damage for the current room. can be either useless or dangerous. Some of the most valuable are:
- BrimstoneTears are replaced by a laser beam that pierces through all enemies and obstacles in its path and deals high damage. Can only be fired after a short charge-up period.
- Mom's KnifeIsaac's tears are replaced by a knife that pierces enemies, can travel through obstacles, and can hurt enemies while Isaac is holding it. Holding down the fire button before firing increases its range and power.
- Goat HeadA Devil Room / Angel Room Door will always spawn after every boss fight, excluding the first floor and floors after Utero II/Womb II.
- Whore of BabylonIncreases damage and speed whenever Isaac has half a red heart or less (one red heart for Eve), ignoring any soul or black hearts.
- Empty VesselWhile Isaac has no red hearts, this item grants flight and a random chance to activate an invincibility shield for a few seconds. If Isaac gains any red hearts, these benefits will disappear.
- All items required for Guppy, especially Dead CatSets the amount of red heart containers to 1, but gives Isaac 9 extra lives. After dying, Isaac is teleported to the last safe room. New heart containers can be obtained after picking up this item, but after each death, the number of heart containers is set to 1 again. (Note: Red Chests can also contain Guppy items)
- Many damage ups
- Items granting Fear Tears
For a full List of Devil Room items see Devil Room Item Pool.
Angel Room[edit | edit source]
The Angel Room often contains Soul or Eternal Hearts, being useless for the Lost. Many items that can be obtained are of no use, too, such as Prayer CardGrants an eternal heart per use. or Celtic CrossGrants a chance to trigger the Book of Shadows effect upon taking damage, creating a shield that nullifies all types of damage for 7 seconds., and some such as Dead Sea ScrollsTriggers the effect of a random activated item from a list of possible options (not every activated item is included). or Breath of LifeGrants a brief moment of invincibility when the charge bar hits zero. If spacebar is held for an additional second after hitting zero, Isaac will take damage. can actually be dangerous. However, with luck, one may find a very valuable item, such as:
- CenserGives Isaac a golden censer familiar which creates a huge aura of light that slows down any enemies and enemy shots inside it.
- Circle of ProtectionSurrounds Isaac with a large white halo around him that pulsates. With each pulse, the halo deals contact damage to enemies equal to Isaac's damage. Each pulse also converts any enemy shots touching the ring into friendly purple homing tears.
- Crown of LightGives Isaac a crown that glows blue when active, and turns gray when inactive. While Isaac has no empty red heart containers, Isaac's tears are replaced with blue diamond tears that deal double damage. Regardless of health, the crown will deactivate for the current room when Isaac takes damage.
- Guardian AngelSpawns an orbital familiar that blocks enemy projectiles, deals contact damage to enemies, and increases the speed of all orbital familiars.
- Holy MantleAutomatically negates first taken damage in every room.
- Immaculate ConceptionUpon picking up a certain amount of health, spawn a permanent angelic familiar. (gives The Lost a use for soul and black hearts)
- The MindGrants the combined effects of the Blue Map, Treasure Map, and The Compass, revealing the floor layout and all special rooms, including Secret Rooms and Super Secret Rooms. (if the player has already defeated Satan as The Lost)
- Sacred HeartIncreases damage and range while reducing shot speed and grants homing tears. Grants a Heart Container and replenishes all Red Hearts.
- The SoulGrants two soul hearts. Isaac now repels enemy projectiles. (if the player has already defeated The Lamb as The Lost)
- Sworn ProtectorAn orbital angel which does 7 contact damage per tick and blocks enemy shots. Upon blocking 10 shots in a room it drops an eternal heart. (if the player has already defeated Hush as The Lost)
- Trinity ShieldIsaac gains a shield that protects him from enemy shots.
For all Angel Room items see Angel Room Item Pool.
Items[edit | edit source]
Positive Items[edit | edit source]
Aside the already mentioned items, the following are of great use:
- Any item increasing damage in some way and/or any other of The Lost's stats.
- The Stop Watch Automatically inflicts slow to all enemies in every room.
Upon taking damage, inflicts slow to all enemies for the current room., unlocked by donating 999 coins to the Donation Machine slows down all enemies in the room, all projectiles, and makes enemies that charge for an attack charge forward very slowly.
- The Stopwatch was nerfed to only work upon taking damage, although in a recent update, it now works when the Holy Mantle's shield is depleted.
- Holy MantleAutomatically negates first taken damage in every room. is extremely valuable on The Lost, as it not only protects The Lost from death once per room, it allows The Lost to enter Curse Rooms and leave without dying. You can unlock the Holy Mantle as a starting item via Greed Mode .
- Defensive items like InfamyChance to block projectiles coming from any direction. can help.
- Lil' BrimstoneA Familiar that shoots a thin Brimstone beam. Must charge like Brimstone before shooting. is similarly beneficial like Brimstone itself.
- Items that inflict crowd control status effects such as fear, slow or petrification can be useful. On the other hand, some players dislike these items because it can make enemies move in unpredictable ways.
- Black CandlePrevents curses. Grants one black heart. Increases the chance for a Devil or angel room to appear. avoids curses.
- The Red CandleThrows a persistent flame that deals high damage and diminishes as it damages enemies or blocks shots.'s properties make it one of the most useful items for defeating the waves of mobs and bosses in Greed Mode. Filling the room with flames before pushing the button to start a new wave virtually guarantees a swift victory with very little risk.
- D4Rerolls all of Isaac's items., , or Rune Of Perthro can reroll negative or useless items into something useful, while D20 can do the same with pickups. D100 acts like the three combined.
- The D4 and the D100Upon use, rerolls all passive items on Isaac like the D4, every pedestal item in the room like The D6, and every pickup like the D20. can deactivate very important items you obtained earlier.
- As the Lost starts with the Holy Mantle after giving the Greed Machine enough coins, the D4 can potentially be deprecated from the start.
- After multiple re-rolls, the D4 and D100 can be counterproductive. If the item pools are depleted, they will only give The Lost Breakfast.
- There's OptionsThere will be 2 items available to choose from after defeating a boss. Choosing 1 item causes the other to disappear. can be helpful to avoid useless boss drops.
- The D4 and the D100Upon use, rerolls all passive items on Isaac like the D4, every pedestal item in the room like The D6, and every pickup like the D20. can deactivate very important items you obtained earlier.
- PyromaniacIsaac heals 1 heart instead of taking damage from an explosive source. Adds 5 bombs. grants immunity to explosions, making it useful should the player have explosive items such as Ipecac or Epic Fetus. It also protects against troll bombs and stomp attacks.
- Items revealing the map are very useful to avoid unnecessary rooms.
- Whore of BabylonIncreases damage and speed whenever Isaac has half a red heart or less (one red heart for Eve), ignoring any soul or black hearts. is always active after being obtained.
- Crown of LightGives Isaac a crown that glows blue when active, and turns gray when inactive. While Isaac has no empty red heart containers, Isaac's tears are replaced with blue diamond tears that deal double damage. Regardless of health, the crown will deactivate for the current room when Isaac takes damage. is essentially just a damage up as The Lost cannot have empty red hearts or take damage and lose the damage-up.
- Glass CannonWhen used, reduces Isaac's health to half a heart (including soul and black hearts) and fires one large piercing spectral tear that does a lot of damage. The damage done by Glass Cannon scales with Isaac's damage (at base damage it does 45 damage). can greatly increase The Lost's damage output without any negative effects.
- Host HatA host familiar that sits on Isaac's head and has a random chance to block enemy shots and retaliate with 3 tears. Grants immunity to explosions. is amazing for the Lost. It has a chance of blocking shots like Infamy, returns fire if it does block said shots, and also grants explosion immunity like Pyromaniac, so it goes well with Ipecac or Epic Fetus as mentioned above. It doesn't heal from explosions, but The Lost doesn't get any health anyway, so it is strictly better.
- Missing PosterIf Isaac dies in a Sacrifice Room, a puzzle piece will appear on his last will ( and unlocks The Lost). Revives Isaac as The Lost if unlocked. The Missing Poster then disappears. effectively acts as a 1-Up on The Lost.
- Empty VesselWhile Isaac has no red hearts, this item grants flight and a random chance to activate an invincibility shield for a few seconds. If Isaac gains any red hearts, these benefits will disappear. is always active for The Lost since they cannot have any red-heart containers. The Lost will not benefit from the flight given, but will benefit from the random invincibility it grants.
- Safety ScissorsTroll bombs turn into Bomb pickups before they explode. Mega troll bombs turn into 1+1 free bombs before they explode. gains increased value by neutralizing the greater threat Troll Bombs impose.
Useless items[edit | edit source]
The following list includes items and trinkets that only affect health, only grant flight, only grant spectral tears, use damage as a trigger or contain a combination of what's listed with no other positive effect. It's advised to pick them after a floor has been explored in case a D4, D100, or a Dice Room (with 1 or 6 dots) are found later on during the run.
|Converter||296||Convert your soul||When used, converts two soul hearts into a heart container.|
|The Jar||290||Save your life||When at full health, up to 4 extra hearts can be stored in the jar.|
|Prayer Card||146||Reusable eternity||Grants an eternal heart per use.|
|Satanic Bible||292||Reusable Evil||Upon activation, Isaac gains a black heart.|
|Yum Heart||45||Reusable Regeneration||Restores 1 whole red heart.|
|<3||15||HP up||Grants Isaac one red heart container and fully restores Isaac's health.|
|A Missing Page||48||It glows with power||5% chance to induce The Necronomicon's effect upon taking damage.|
|A Snack||346||HP up||Grants one full red heart container.|
|Athame||408||Call to the void||Whenever Isaac takes damage, a black ring briefly appears around Isaac, dealing damage to all nearby enemies.|
|Black Lotus||226||HP up x3!||Grants the player one red heart container, one soul heart, and one black heart.|
|Bloody Lust||157||RAGE!||Increases damage as Isaac receives damage. Damage increase stays for the whole floor.|
|The Body||334||I feel all||Adds 3 heart containers.|
|Breakfast||25||HP up||Grants Isaac one full red heart container.|
|Cambion Conception||412||Feed them hate||After taking damage a certain amount of times, a permanent demonic familiar spawns.|
|Cancer||301||HP up + you feel protected||Adds 3 soul hearts. Grants The Wafer effect for the current room upon taking damage.|
|Celtic Cross||162||You feel blessed||Grants a chance to trigger the Book of Shadows effect upon taking damage, creating a shield that nullifies all types of damage for 7 seconds.|
|Charm of the Vampire||62||Kills heal||Heals the character for half of a red heart for every 13 monsters killed.|
|Curse of the Tower||371||You feel cursed...||Causes Isaac to spawn 6 troll bombs on the floor every time he gets hit, similar to the Anarchist Cookbook mechanic.|
|Dead Bird||117||Protective buddy||Spawns a flying familiar for the current room that chases enemies whenever Isaac takes damage.|
|Dead Dove||185||Flight + spectral tears||Grants spectral tears and flight.|
|Dessert||24||HP Up||Grants Isaac one full red heart container.|
|Dinner||23||HP Up||Adds 1 heart container.|
|Fanny Pack||204||It's filled with goodies!||Has a chance to drop a random pickup when Isaac takes damage.|
|Fate||179||Flight eternal||Grants flight and one eternal heart.|
|Gimpy||225||Sweet Suffering||Has a chance of spawning a soul heart or black heart when taking damage. Enemies have a chance to drop a Half Red Heart after being killed.|
|Habit||156||Item Martyr||When Isaac is hit, 1 point of an item's charge is filled.|
|Holy Grail||184||Flight + HP up||Grants flight and one heart container.|
|Holy Water||178||Splash!||When Isaac receives damage, the bottle breaks and a puddle of blue creep forms, which damages non-flying enemies, similar to Lemon Mishap. The bottle is reformed upon entering a different room.|
|The Ladder||60||Building bridges||Allows Isaac to walk across gaps one square across by automatically placing a ladder between the two walkable sections.|
|Little C.H.A.D.||96||Gives kisses||A familiar who will drop a half red heart every 2 rooms.|
|Lunch||22||HP Up||Adds 1 heart container.|
|Maggy's Bow||312||HP up + you feel healthy||Gives one heart container and doubles the healing provided by red hearts.|
|Milk!||436||Don't cry over it...||A glass of milk follows Isaac and spills on the floor upon taking damage. After the milk spills, Isaac's tear delay is decreased by 2 for the rest of the room.|
|Missing Page 2||262||Evil up. Your enemies will pay!||Gives 1 black heart. Upon taking damage that reduces Isaac's health to one heart or less, activates The Necronomicon effect, dealing 40 damage to all enemies in the room.|
|Mitre||173||You Feel Blessed||Grants a chance of converting any red hearts pickups into soul hearts instead.|
|My Shadow||433||Me! And my shaaaadow!||Each time Isaac takes damage, inflicts fear on all enemies in the room and spawns a black friendly Charger that will attack enemies. The Charger will be killed if it is damaged too much.|
|Old Bandage||219||HP up||Adds one empty heart container. Whenever Isaac takes damage there's a chance that a Red Heart may drop.|
|Ouija Board||115||Spectral tears||Grants spectral tears that travel through obstacles (but not enemies) instead of breaking on impact with them.|
|Placenta||218||HP up + regen||Grants a full heart container, and a chance to regenerate a half-heart of health every minute of gameplay.|
|PJs||428||You feel cozy||Grants four soul hearts and fully restores Isaac's red health.|
|Raw Liver||16||HP up||Grants 2 Heart Containers and completely restores health.|
|The Relic||98||Soul generator||Isaac is followed by a small blue cross that will drop a Soul Heart every 4 rooms.|
|Rotten Meat||26||HP up||Adds one heart container.|
|Scapular||142||You have been blessed||Once per room, when Isaac is reduced to his last half red Heart, the aura around his head temporarily vanishes and he is granted one Soul Heart.|
|Sharp Plug||205||Charge with blood||Using an activated item while it's not charged will charge it and Sharp Plug does 2 full heart damage to Isaac.|
|Spider Baby||211||Spider revenge||When hit, spawns up to 2 blue spiders.|
|Spirit of the Night||159||Scary||Grants spectral tears and flight.|
|Super Bandage||92||+2 hearts||Grants one Heart Container and gives 2 Soul Hearts.|
|Transcendence||20||We all float down here...||Grants flight.|
|The Wafer||108||Damage resistance||All sources of damage that would cause more than one half heart of damage are reduced to one half heart instead.|
|Blind Rage||81||Blind to damage||Increases invincibility time after getting hit.|
|Bloody Penny||49||Wealth of health||Gives a 50% chance to drop a half heart when money is collected.|
|Callus||14||Your feet feel stronger||Prevents damage from creep and spikes.|
|Child's Heart||34||It calls out to its brothers.||Increases the chance of a Heart dropping after clearing a room, and the chance of finding a Heart when opening a Chest.|
|Cracked Dice||67||You feel cursed... kinda.||Whenever Isaac gets hit, there is a chance that the effect of The D6, D8, D12, or D20 gets activated.|
|Cursed Skull||43||Cursed?||If Isaac has less than one full red heart after taking damage, he will be immediately teleported to the last cleared room he was in.|
|Fish Head||29||It stinks||Spawns a blue fly every time Isaac takes damage.|
|Isaac's Fork||46||Consume thy enemy||A chance to heal Isaac for 1/2 a red heart upon clearing a room.|
|Judas' Tongue||56||Payment Received||Items in the Devil Room only cost 1 heart. Soul heart trades still cost 3 Soul hearts.|
|Maggy's Faith||55||Faith's reward||Gives an eternal heart at the start of every floor.|
|Mom's Locket||87||You feel her love||Grants half a red heart each time a key is used. Converts half red heart pickups into full red hearts.|
|Mom's Pearl||38||It emanates purity||Grants a secondary 10% chance of any non-specific heart drop turning into a soul heart.|
|Monkey Paw||20||Wish granted||If the character has half a heart after taking damage, it drops a Black Heart. The effect can trigger up to three times, after which the trinket will disappear.|
|Mysterious Paper||21||???||Has a chance to replicate the effects of A Missing Page, The Polaroid, The Negative, or Missing Poster.|
|Red Patch||40||Your rage grows||Grants a chance of increasing damage by 1.8 for the current room upon taking damage.|
|Swallowed Penny||1||Gulp!||Upon taking damage, Isaac drops a penny.|
|Umbilical Cord||33||Fetal Protection||When Isaac's health is brought to half a red heart and no soul hearts, a Little Steven familiar spawns for the current room.|
Notes on item selection
- Best BudWhen hit, summons a white attack fly similar to Distant Admiration for the current room., Guppy's PawRemoves one red heart container in exchange for gaining 3 Soul Hearts., and Infestation1-3 blue flies randomly spawn every time Isaac gets hit. are not included because while they do not provide any passive benefit, they do count for transformations.
- Listed items that generate heart pickups of any kind are useless in most scenarios, but can be converted to other types of pickups if The Lost is holding the D20 or D100.
- Bloody LustIncreases damage as Isaac receives damage. Damage increase stays for the whole floor. will increase damage if The Lost has multiple lives.
- Items that activate a Necronomicon-like effect upon getting hit have a very limited use, as they can deal the last bit of damage needed to kill a boss, or clear a room if The Lost has multiple lives.
- RosaryAdds 3 Soul Hearts and increases the chance for The Bible to appear in any item pool. is mostly useless, but not completely, as it raises the chance of finding The Bible.
- Missing PosterIf Isaac dies in a Sacrifice Room, a puzzle piece will appear on his last will ( and unlocks The Lost). Revives Isaac as The Lost if unlocked. The Missing Poster then disappears. is no longer useless for the Lost.
- Ouija Board, Dead Dove and Spirit of the Night are useless in Afterbirth because The Lost now starts with spectral tears. They are still useful items in Rebirth.
- Blind Rage is only useless if the player has not unlocked Holy Mantle as The Lost's starting item.
- Items that increase your chances of finding Soul Hearts or Black Hearts gain some use when combined with Immaculate Conception.
Negative items[edit | edit source]
- AnkhUpon death, the player will respawn as ??? with 3 soul hearts., Broken AnkhWhen held, Isaac has a chance to be revived as ???. Can occur multiple times in the same run., Judas' ShadowAdds an extra life; upon death, it respawns Isaac as Black Judas with only two black hearts. and Lazarus' RagsUpon dying, resurrect as Revived Lazarus with one heart container and Anemic item. grant extra lives but respawn the The Lost as ???, Black Judas, or Lazarus respectively, which will cause the game to treat them as these characters instead of The Lost. It is suggested to avoid these three items altogether if the player is interested in gaining The Lost exclusive achievements and/or completion marks.
- Dark BumSpawns a familiar that follows Isaac around and collects red hearts. For every one-and-a-half red hearts collected, Dark Bum will generate one soul heart, one hostile Spider or one friendly blue spider. no longer maintains its main benefit of providing Soul Hearts as Soul Hearts are now useless. While it may spawn a friendly spider, it is also likely to spawn an enemy spider, which can instantly kill The Lost if the player is not careful.
- With Immaculate ConceptionUpon picking up a certain amount of health, spawn a permanent angelic familiar., Dark Bum will be useful to convert useless Red Hearts to useful Soul Hearts. However, the player must still be careful for enemy spiders.
- Isaac's HeartIsaac himself is now immune to all damage, and a heart familiar appears and follows Isaac. If the heart is hurt, Isaac is hurt., while having many useful synergies as well as the added benefit of immunity to Brimstone lasers, makes dodging more difficult in many scenarios, leading many players to take damage when they otherwise would not have. It is also very difficult to avoid a stray laser from an Eye, as The Lost cannot block this shot and protect Isaac's Heart from it. Also, there is a chance it can spawn atop an Eye in the It Lives fight, leading to a very cheap and unavoidable death.
- Any explosive items, such as Anarchist CookbookSpawns six troll bombs around the room., Curse of the TowerCauses Isaac to spawn 6 troll bombs on the floor every time he gets hit, similar to the Anarchist Cookbook mechanic., or IpecacReplaces tears with explosive and poisoning projectiles fired in an arc from the mouth. should be used with extreme care.
- If the player chooses to pick up IpecacReplaces tears with explosive and poisoning projectiles fired in an arc from the mouth., they should not pick up Loki's HornsGives a random chance for projectiles to fire in all 4 cardinal directions. or Mom's EyeAllows Isaac to fire tears from the back of his head., as an unexpected shot against a wall will lead to instant death. Lost ContactEvery tear has a small shield which will allow it to block one enemy projectile. is also problematic as it can cause explosions to happen in closer proximity to the player than desired.
- Items that work by causing self-damage, such as the IV BagUpon activation, Isaac loses a half-heart (one whole heart in The Womb onwards) for a random amount of coins, similar to the blood donation machine., Blood RightsDamages all enemies in the room, but deals a heart of damage to Isaac with each use. or Razor BladeUpon use, deals one heart of damage to Isaac and grants +1.2 damage for the current room. will end the run if used and must be avoided. Dead Sea ScrollsTriggers the effect of a random activated item from a list of possible options (not every activated item is included). also has the potential to prematurely end a run if a self-damaging item is triggered. Isaac's HeartIsaac himself is now immune to all damage, and a heart familiar appears and follows Isaac. If the heart is hurt, Isaac is hurt. will allow The Lost to use these items without taking damage.
- Bucket of LardGrants two empty heart containers and heals Isaac by half a heart, but decreases speed by 0.2. reduces speed by 1 and does not provide any benefit.
- LeoAllows you to crush rocks when you walk over them. and Thunder ThighsDestroys rocks upon contact with Isaac. Adds one heart container and lowers Speed. are not great as they remove The Lost's ability to use obstacles to his advantage, as they can break these obstacles. Also, stepping on a poisonous mushroom, or carelessly stepping on a bomb rock can end a run. The only benefit is the small chance of finding a trapdoor or items like Dry BabySpawns a familiar that follows Isaac around and blocks enemy projectiles. Upon blocking a shot, it has a chance of triggering The Necronomicon effect. or The Small RockIncreases damage by 1, increases tears by 0.2, and decreases speed by 0.1. when breaking said obstacles.
- Strange AttractorPickups, trinkets, and monsters are magnetically attracted to Isaac's tears.: Unpredictably pulls enemies towards The Lost, especially floating enemies like Boom Flies. It's advised to avoid this item unless The Lost has The Ludovico TechniqueInstead of firing tears, Isaac controls one floating tear that hover over obstacles. This tear deals constant damage when held in place over an enemy., as both items combined create a powerful synergy.
Seeds[edit | edit source]
Note that seeded runs do not count towards achievements or unlocks.
4BGT 79XL (Hard) ("Getting Carried" Strategy: Brimstone in the first Devil Room. After obtaining it, Forget Me Now shall be used to get Holy Mantle in the Treasure Room in Basement I. Infamy is found in Necropolis II. Lost Contact will be in the Secret Room in Utero I, Dead Cat in the Super Secret Room and Goat Head in the Dice Room.)