| (page 3, column 2, line 5)
(page 4, column 2, line 3)
| Defeat Isaac 5 timesThe Polaroid|
The Polaroid is an unlockable passive item.
- If the character has half a red heart or no red hearts after taking damage, it triggers the Book of ShadowsUpon use, creates a protective shield nullifying all types of damage for 10 seconds. effect, creating a shield that nullifies all types of damage for 5 seconds.
- Allows entrance into The Chest after beating Isaac in the Cathedral by touching the chest.
- This item is a guaranteed drop from Mom alongside the The NegativeIf the character has half a red heart or no red hearts after taking damage, it triggers The Necronomicon effect, damaging all enemies in the room. Also allows entrance into the Dark Room., provided they are unlocked. However, they are mutually exclusive: Once one of them is picked up, the other one will disappear.
- With the use of a teleportation item and either a 5 pip Dice Room or a Forget Me NowWhen activated, the level ends and is freshly regenerated with new rooms, monsters, and items. Disappears after use., both the Polaroid and the Negative or multiple copies of the Polaroid or Negative can be obtained.
- The Polaroid always triggers when taking damage as characters who lack heart containers, such as Azazel (by default), ??? (permanently), or any other character who has chosen to trade away their heart containers in deals with the Devil, Black Markets, or with Guppy's PawRemoves one red heart container in exchange for gaining 3 Soul Hearts. or the Potato PeelerRemoves a heart container, increases damage and range, and grants a Cube of Meat.. It will also trigger if the character has only half of a red heart left.
- The Polaroid will be the leftmost item after defeating Mom, in case Curse of the Blind is active.
- It is possible to obtain two Polaroids by obtaining one as an Eden starting item.
- Obtaining multiple copies of The Polaroid does not cause its effect to stack.
- In the original Binding of Isaac flash game, The Polaroid used to be a trinket that Mom would drop in addition to a regular collectible from the boss pool. When it was originally implemented, it was only available in the normal Trinket drop pool and was implemented secretively. Players were frustrated, so, with an update, Edmund made it so it would also only drop if the player took no red heart damage against Mom, similar to the conditions for the Devil Room to open its path. Since players would not always receive the Polaroid and might switch it out with another trinket, Edmund wanted to make discovery of The Chest (and its at-the-time new ending) something special.
- As soon as The Polaroid or The NegativeIf the character has half a red heart or no red hearts after taking damage, it triggers The Necronomicon effect, damaging all enemies in the room. Also allows entrance into the Dark Room. become available, they will drop in place of the regular Boss Room item Mom would otherwise provide, essentially providing a difficulty increase for The Womb and beyond after either has been unlocked.
- They can, however, be re-rolled at the cost of closing off access to Chapter 6.
PC NTKG 9MMP (Starting item for Eden)