The Wiz is a passive item added in the Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth expansion.
Effects[edit | edit source]
- Isaac fires tears from both eyes at the same time.
- Isaac's tears are fired diagonally outwards, similar to the effect of the R U A Wizard? pill.
- Isaac's tears travel above all obstacles.
Interactions[edit | edit source]
- Analog Stick+0.3 tears up. Allows Isaac to fire tears diagonally.: Will make one tear go forwards and the other tear will fire at a 90 degree angle to the other tear.
- Azazel: Azazel fires two short diagonal Brimstone beams in the chosen direction.
- BrimstoneTears are replaced by a laser beam that pierces through all enemies and obstacles in its path and deals high damage. Can only be fired after a short charge-up period.: Shoots two Brimstone beams diagonally.
- Cain : Makes Cain fire in the two diagonal directions instead of just the right eye one as the R U A Wizard? pill does.
- Conjoined: Fires double tears in both directions, but removes the center tear.
- DiplopiaDuplicates all pickups and item pedestals in the room.: Picking up a second The Wiz will make Isaac fire 4 tears in a wider diagonal layout.
- Epic FetusIsaac's tears are replaced with guided missiles, like those used by the Doctor's Remote.: The crosshair is controlled diagonally, as if rotated 45 degrees clockwise from usual (i.e.: the up arrow will move it in a northeast direction), and two missiles are fired, similar to the effect of 20/20. The crosshair can be moved in the cardinal directions by pressing two arrow keys at once (e.g.: pressing the up and right arrows will move the crosshair right).
- Homing Tears: Tears are more likely to home in on enemies if enemies are coming towards Isaac diagonally. Otherwise, it only minorly improves accuracy.
- The Ludovico TechniqueInstead of firing tears, Isaac controls one floating tear that hover over obstacles. This tear deals constant damage when held in place over an enemy.: Small tear orbits main tear. Tear controls rotated 45 degrees clockwise - holding up makes it move northeast and so on.
- MarkedIsaac will now fire tears automatically directed at a red target on the ground which is controlled by the player. This allows for a full 360 degree tear firing radius. Can be overridden by other tear modifiers such as Mom's Knife or Brimstone.: Fires two shots aimed diagonally from the mark.
- Monstro's LungIncreases damage and grants a charged shot that fires multiple tears in the same fashion as Monstro.: 7-8 tears are fired at each diagonal direction instead of a full burst.
- R U A Wizard? pill: Makes the player shoot forward with normal fire rate and 90 degrees outwards with half fire rate.
Synergies[edit | edit source]
- Tractor BeamIsaac emits a beam from his face. Isaac's tears travel in the path of the beam.: Both tears will follow the beam, making it easier to hit enemies with them, effectively like 20/20 with Spectral tears.
- Tractor Beam + Mom's KnifeIsaac's tears are replaced by a knife that pierces enemies, can travel through obstacles, and can hurt enemies while Isaac is holding it. Holding down the fire button before firing increases its range and power.: Both knives ignore the path of the beam and remain flying diagonally.
In-game Footage[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This item is possibly a reference to Nethack, where an unidentified "conical hat" can be either a cornuthaum (i.e. a "wizard hat") or a cursed dunce cap. Equipping the conical hat will identify it, but if it's a cursed dunce cap it will lower your intelligence and be difficult to remove. The Wiz has the word "DUNCE" printed in the image but is officially named after wizardry. This confusion alludes to the ambiguous identity of the conical hat.
- This item shares its name with a 1978 musical based on The Wizard Of Oz.