||This article is about the item. For the chapter, see The Void.
Void is an unlockable activated item added in Afterbirth †. Apollyon starts with this item.
- Upon use, destroys all pedestal items in the room.
- If Void destroys an active item, it gains the ability of that item - whenever Void is used, it will simultaneously use all previous active items that were absorbed.
- If Void destroys a passive item, the player gains 2 random stat boosts. Possible stat changes include:
- +1 flat damage
- +0.5 tears
- +0.2 speed and maximum speed (may never exceed 2.0)
- +0.2 shot speed
- +1 luck
- +0.5 range
- If tears or speed are at their maximum and are chosen, there will be no visible increase.
- Void does not work on devil deal, black market, or shop items unless they have been bought first.
- Void does not consume unpurchased items in devil deals, black markets, or shops.
- Using Void to absorb items in Boss Rush or challenge rooms counts as taking the items and will cause waves of bosses or enemies to start spawning.
- The ability of the newly absorbed active item(s) will activate even if the item has no charge. Using any multiple-use item before absorbing it with Void will effectively allow you to use the item twice.
- If one finds another Void, such as during a Victory Lap where it is left behind in the previous lap, it will have the same active effects stored in it as the other Void.
- Consuming a second Void will create no effect.
- If multiple copies of an active item are absorbed, using Void will activate that effect equally many times.
- Absorbing items that would normally count towards transformations upon pickup does not give progress toward transformations.
- Apollyon will start with this item even before it is unlocked.
- Stat boosts upon destroying passive items are determined by the seed and are tied to the number of items destroyed, not the items themselves. If the player runs the same seed and chooses to consume different passive items, the same stat boosts will be gained.
- Stat boosts are permanent and are retained if Void is dropped.
- Breath of Life: Immediately grants invincibility frames.
- Crooked Penny: Using Void with the Crooked Penny absorbed will result in items in the room being absorbed as usual, but afterwards new copies of the items or one coin are spawned.
- Delirious / Mega Blast: Allows it to be used every 6 rooms instead of 12 and batteries will fully charge the item.
- More Options / There's Options: Using Void will cause both Items to be absorbed.
- Any single-use active item, such as Diplopia / Forget Me Now / Pandora's Box / Mama Mega! / Mystery Gift: Single-use items are used once upon being destroyed, but their effects are not absorbed and will not activate with subsequent Void uses.
- Sacrificial Altar is properly absorbed, unlike other one-time use items, allowing Isaac to sacrifice familiars and obtain Devil Room items with each activation of Void. Possibly a glitch or oversight.
- Blood Rights + Book of Shadows: Invincibility from an absorbed Book of Shadows will not prevent damage by Blood Rights.
- Broken Remote / Teleport / Teleport 2.0 / Undefined / Blank Card with a teleport card / Placebo with a telepill: Items will still be consumed when Isaac teleports.
- Clicker: If Void is either Isaac's only item or the item most recently picked up, it will be lost upon absorbing and thus activating the Clicker.
- The D6: If absorbed while there are other pedestal items in the room, it will reroll the items before absorbing them. Likewise, if The D6 was previously absorbed and Void is used, pedestal items will get rerolled before being absorbed.
- Glowing Hour Glass: Upon using Void, Isaac is sent to the previous room and most changes are reverted, nullifying many other effects that Void may have absorbed. If the Glass is absorbed in a shop, Isaac is sent back to the previous room, but the Glass will be unused in the shop on its pedestal. This allows for an infinite shop donation circle, eliminating the need for a battery to be present in the shop.
- How to Jump: Be wary with this combination; without an infinite recharge, it is possible to jump to a spot that there is no way of returning from. (This can be fixed by going to the main menu and then resuming the game, however.)
- The Jar: Absorbing it with Void will not allow Isaac to pick up excess hearts.
- Jar of Flies: Absorbing it with the Void will not allow the collection and generation of flies.
- Mom's Box: Drops a trinket every time the Void is used. The other passive effects of holding the box do not apply to the user.
- Moving Box: Moving Box will not be added to Void; instead, it is converted into stat boosts like a passive item.
- A Pony: Absorbing it with Void will not give a passive ability to fly; however, Isaac will still charge in the first direction chosen.
- Remote Detonator: Absorbing it with Void does not cause bombs to remain on the ground until Void is used, but using Void explodes all player-placed bombs as usual.
- White Pony: Absorbing it with Void will not give a passive ability to fly. Isaac will still charge in the first direction chosen, but no beams of light will spawn.
- When this item was originally teased, it had a recharge counter of four and converted pickups into blue flies; in its release, it was nerfed to a recharge counter of six and the effect on pickups was split to an entirely new item altogether.
- Before the balance patch on 5 January 2017, Void synergized with single-use items and constantly trigger them upon each use of Void; this has since been removed.
- Void is one of only four items to appear in both the Angel and Devil item pools, the others being 7 Seals, Lil Delirium, and Duality.
If the player has overcharge from The Battery
, using absorbed items that the player can "put away" (e.g. Shoop Da Whoop!
, Bob's Rotten Head
, and Notched Axe
) will use all the overcharge, even when the player puts away the items. In the case of Notched Axe on its own, using Void will use all charges at once.